HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Megadeth Reissues...thoughts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostMeat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: New Megadeth Reissues...thoughts? Reply with quote

So, anyone pick any of these up? I'm curious about the actual sound on Rust in Piece. It's always been one of my all-time favorite albums and I certainly would pick it up if the sound was dramatically better.

But at that point the sound wasn't really all that bad to begin with. I was just curious if it's worth it. I can see why some of the other records would need some audio touch-up.

GhostMeat.
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello.
Today I was checking th official website and there I saw the discs...

The are the same discs but with a couple of new tracks and demos...some of them worthy some others only crap----but I think that if you do not have those album it's a very good option to get them now.

I didn't looked out that album Ghost Metal (RIP).

But for sure the sound has to be great,,,At least it is what Megadeth fans deserve after an almost blind loyalty. Don't you think?
live4metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a liitle leary of the Megadeth remasters because they've also been remixed and even re-recorded in parts.
But I did pick up Rust In Peace yesterday and played it on headphones last night.Good news! It's pretty much the same record.You can hear subtle differences like the back ground vocals being pushed up in the mix.
And the guitars are a tad crunchier.But all in all it sounds better.
Hopefully Peace Sells... also sounds good.I think So Far,So Good... has had the biggest make over from what I've been hearing.
But Rust is intact and sounds better than ever! Very Happy
live4metal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one else is picking up these newly sonic classics?
You're all worthless and weak! Razz
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want remixed/rerecorded nonsense or else I'd probably pick up the So Far So good one. I was listening to both that album and Rust the other day though and the sound is already good enough for me. I just need a copy of So Far that isn't scratched.
daeh_latem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: reviews - all 7 Reply with quote

lucky i checked in today eh?

Yes I am a crazy Megadeth freak, I just love the stuff old and new.
So on Wednesday, 2nd day of the releases, I went to the local Best Buy to spend some rent money. Being a member of the megadeth site, Dave allowed us to vote for and download one song from each remaster before it was released (As well as new material) to get a taste. From that sampling, I had no problem buying the remasters. And I do also have all the old albums.

SO, as short as possible, here you go, as I listen to each:

Peace Sells, But Who's Buying
Again, the remaster here improves the album and brings out the full strength from percussion to bass to guitar and vocals, no noticeable changes. I think this is the best of all remasters. No remix that i notice. I think my favorite is My Last Words...amazing amazing! The Conjuring, Wake Up Dead and Good Mourning are also my favorites.

So Far So Good So What
a must have, simply because its much clearer and stronger. The only noticeable change is the horns of Into the Lungs of Hell are stronger during the intro. On all songs, percussion is brought out, vocals are cleaner, less "tin can" sound. Mary Jane, Set the World Afire, In My Darkest Hour, Hook in Mouth are much improved.

Rust In Peace
Here is the most controversial remaster and remixed quite a bit. There is a definate improvement in sounds as well, drums for sure are excellent, seems the bass was dropped back in places, most noticeable on Take No Prisoners..the dedala dedala dedala part...u know? OK, anyway, apprently some original vocals were lost and Dave had to resing some parts, obviously Take No Prisoners and possibily Five Magics. Those with the original memorized will say its got less kick, he cant hit the high notes quite right. I dont mind it, sounds fine and musically its unbeatable! The rest apprear to be original, nicely enhanced, drums are amazing. Backing vocals and harmonies are also brought forward. Lastly, you will notice the lead on Holy Wars where it was once went from left to right to left to right is now just all one part. Final judgement here is dont expect the original but expect a very powerful classic, new listeners wont know the difference. Favorites...well all of them but Rust in Peace is my least favorite, five magics , tornado of souls or take no prisoners might be my favorite, i dont really know.

Countdown to Extinction
At first, I wasnt going to buy anything post RIP because it was originally very crisp, clean and almost perfect. They were on sale for 10.99 so i figured what the hell. LIstenin back and forth to the original is the only way to pick up the enhanced and louder sound, with most of these its a notch or three louder on your cd player. With headphones stereo separation is more noticeable. Drums are brought out more as well, gives a live feeling to it. A few changes were added to the songs, touches here and there, I think mostly to make it a different cd from the original so its not just a louder version. Nice intro to Sweating, 24 seconds longer. Guitar intro on Captive Honour is a great addition. You can do without this, but its still great, nothing lost. Includes a new song Crown of Worms with a Kill Em All vibe, i'm sure its an old riff.

Youthanasia
This one is again louder, just remastered and clean and crisp, drums are stringer and deeper. The reverb is gone, its more separate than the original, my feelings is its lost is flow somewhat, sounds like maybe the high hat are pushed back and more crisp. Vocals are brought to the front as well as backing vocals. You can probably so without it, new song intrumental called Absolution is great, acoustic parts are original inspiration to Blood of Heros.

Cryptic Writings
This is my favorite new album because of its variety of style, alot of radio plays like Secret Place and then there is the throw back thrash of FFF and Disentegrators. This album is cleaned up, beleive it or not to be stronger. Alot of new little things brought in, small solos here and there, orchestra part brought out that were always there but u might not have heard. Some new intros and parts here and there. I still like it, its a new spin. Again, unless you really love this 90's material and want to hear a new take on it, it's something you can do without. I like alot the changes to Secret Place, very nice.

Risk
Yah that's right, you probably don't have this one. Sure it's a notch more pop-rock than the radio tunes from Cryptic and has some techno influence, but its great music to me. The remix here is obvious, Dave has kept the core of the songs intact but really changed the over all sound to include more acoustic/guitar vs electronic sounds. Some intros and techno beats are gone and additional vocal parts are also added here and there. Crush Em, not my favorite is much better, Insomnia is much better, intro is gone...altho the guitars are push back a bit and vocals up more, no more strings. Prince of Darkness has always been my favorite, its almost unchanged and still great. This has almost been pushed back to natural instruments, guitars dominate where there was strings. Lastly the cover is much better and includes the classic megadeth logo. If you remotely liked the original, I think this is a better one.

Lastly, Die Dead Enough is here on HardRadio now...Kick the Chair was released to us Megafreaks and falls somwhere between Countdown and RIP material with lead guitar and lead guitar and lotta riffs. From what i hear the best is yet to be heard. The System has Failed looks to be a countdown style album, and of course I will have the days its released.

hope i saved you some money or worry about this.

now i gotta remove that down there....
JosephC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting those extensive reviews.

I was back and forth on getting these and, to be honest, I was hoping the bonus cuts would have included more unreleased tracks.

They could mess with Rust In Peace all they want. That is my favorite Megadeth release and I was amazed by the material and the sound when it was first released, and am still amazed by it to this day. So I was never really interested in buying that one because the sound didn't need an upgrade, it was perfect to begin with.

I pretty much expected what you said about Countdown, Youth and Cryptic. Those were pretty slick CDs when they were first released, and I didn't expect them to be anything different...only louder. So I really wasn't that interested in any of those either.

Which leaves Peace Sells, So Far So Good, Risk and the MD45 CDs.

The MD45 one I probably will pick up eventually, just to hear it with Dave's vocals. I've never owned Risk, but may someday pick up the remaster simply to complete the collection. Peace Sells is out in some sort of DVD-audio format and I'd probably go with that version over this re-mastered version since the remastered version only contains more remixes as bonus cuts (I'll have to double check that).

So Far So Good was the one I've been most interested in from the start. The whole sound of that CD always seemed totally f**ked up from day one to me. I don't know how to describe it, but the guitars sound like they were recorded through some vacuum (being sucked away from the listener) and the mix was crap. From what you've said in this review...this new remaster sounds like it is worth picking up for me.

Anyway, thanks for the extensive comments regarding these remasters. I was very curious to hear some reactions about them.
bringer

Location: somewehere in between the specs of pictures burnt beyond

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh geez, you guys are really messing with my head on if I should get the Rust In Peace RI or not.
rockhawg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this post got me curious, so I checked Rhapsody and they have the reissues as well as the originals. So, I took a listen to a few tracks. I really liked Cryptic Writings when it came out, but I gotta tell you, I think Dave SLAUGHTERED this album on the remix. Just because Protools or whatever they used has a bunch of neat stuff on it, DOESN'T MEAN USE IT ALL ON ONE TRACK! Now, CR was pretty slick sounding for Megadeth on the first take, and alot of people didn't like it for that reason. This thing is so overprocessed now, it makes spam (the meat, not the email), look natural. It's like Dave took a pair of pliers and ripped the balls right off of it. I listened to the first three songs, which I really liked originally, and almost got sick. Total self indulgent crap. I think he may have re-recorded the vocals. Really bad. Either that or they got them out of sync with the rhythm tracks. They drag the whole thing down. He also added alot of delay and reverb to most of the tracks. At one point, I think a light went off in his head and he said, "Wow, I can cut and paste just like in Word!". I'm listening to the original version now to get that crap out of my head.
I gave a few other tracks a listen from Peace Sells, and they weren't that bad. Mostly just improved the sound quality and cleaned things up a bit. My fear is that someone will pick up one of these as their first introduction to Megadeth and get a really distorted view of a great metal band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: