HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help on these bands...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: help on these bands... Reply with quote

So i've been llistening alot to Netscape Radio's METAL station the past few weeks, and have been hearing some stuff i like, but need some of you's to help me out further....

King Diamond, Celtic Frost, Watchtower, Danzig to be exact ....
Overall, whats your impressions on the bands and albums
* I own the Danzig album with Mother and Twist of Cain, the ST on I thinl, but no others...

Also, I've been listiening to the Hair Metal station there as well, and really like Pretty Boy Floyd. anyone have an album on them ? how is it ?

PS, yah, sorry for not listeing to HARDRADIO.... but it hasn't been working for me lately... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My King Diamond's favorite album is "The Eye"- Great storyline, awesome guitars...
metalblood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Diamond is one of my favorite artists, so I like just about all of his work. Like most older bands his best work was in the 80's. You can't go wrong with Abigail, Them, or Conspiracy. Though his newest album The Puppetmaster really smokes and if you want a newer release go with this one.

Watchtower is a very technical thrash band, a bit too technical for me. Their songs come off disjointed and I can't get into them. It seems they sacrificed aggression and flow to show off their skills. That being said, if you want one go with the first album Energetic Disassembly.

Celtic Frost is known more for their pioneering than actual musicanship and songs, kind of like Venom. Still a band that I enjoy for that raw metallic sound. Stay with the first two, Morbid Tales and To Mega Therion.

Don't listen to much Danzig and never heard PBF.
velvetdarkness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way to clear a room full of people? Play Mercyful Fate or King Diamond. The music is good but the vocals suck.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celtic Frost...big influence on future extreme metal, I think Morbid Angel in particular. Big, big ambition...not much real musicianship though, so I find that the earlier, more primitive recordings are more rewarding than the more ambitious (but clueless) mid-years stuff. The later stuff is enjoyable but doesn't really stand out as important or all that unique.

King Diamond is really good dark melodic metal, but as has been stated, the vocals are an acquired taste at best.

I only have one Watchtower album...very technical and kind of interesting, but I don't think I've listened to it once since the inital breaking-in period.

I've only had one Danzig album, the fourth one (considered by many to be their best) and honestly, I thought it just sounded like boring blues with a weak imitation of Elvis on vocals. Not even blues-influenced hard rock, I mean straight-up blues. I have never understood what the big deal is about Danzig, besides bringing a Satanic element to music that might be listened to by people who would burst into flames if they touched an Emperor album.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: