HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Concerts..Are they worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tope

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Concerts..Are they worth it? Reply with quote

The last few times I have gone to see a band in concert, I have sat there (depending on the band lol) and wondered to myself,,......is it worth it to be here anymore.

Am i getting to be an old fart? Does it have anything to do with my age at all? Does the music suck? Are the bands getting old? AmI really getting entertained?

I don't know, the last few shows I have been to it just all seemed silly. I'm paying money (sometimes alot, somtimes very little) to go hear music that doesnt sound as good as the album, putting up with drunken bastards, sitting beside a the biggest scumbag that smells like he hasnt showered in days and hasn't grown any maturity since he was 12. Tehy just annoy the hell out of me now. Am I getting to be a snob????

I used to love to go see a show and went as much as I could. Sometimes 3 - 4 times a week. This was all while I was working a part time job and going to school. Now I rarely goto a show and I have alot more expenable cash. I know that aren;t alot of great acts touring right now that I'm interested in, but there have been a couple that I just couldnt be bothered to see. Maybe because I've seen them 5 times already. Maybe it's they just look like they would blow live.

This summer I went to see 3 shows usually it would 6-7. Thats pretty amazing cause I'm never home in the summer. I went to see Alice Cooper for $10 (16 with service charges!!!) He smoked and I did enjoy that show emensly(killer setlist best ever). Coops one of my favs. I saw Judas Priest for the same $10 deal... they were ok. And I saw Metallica (Free... a friend was sick and couldnt go) they were AWEFULL !!!! and ive enjoyed them many times b4.

I'm starting to think i'm feeling like concerts are a waste now because my standards are pretty high, I have seen a ton of great shows and they are hard to beat.

I dont know if I have made my point or not now, I'm just rambling but 5 beers makes me do that. So if you can find my point in all this, what do you think about concerts these days?

1. Are you still going as much?
2. Are you still enjoying them?
3. Tix prices too high?
4. and whatever bothers you lol

Tope
Bohica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I hit that platue about 5 years ago. I don't know if it's my age, the band, the venue, or what.
Let me relay my experience...
I was up in Boise on business. It just so happened that Queensryche was playing at the Arena that was attached to the hotel I was staying at. The front desk gave me free tickets. I really didn't enjoy myself. I don't know if it was because it wasn't the original band I saw on Mindcrime, or if it was that I was in a town that I was not familiar with, and felt out of place. I was 34 at the time as well.

Then something changed.
I hadn't been to a concert after that until last November when I went to Trans-Siberian Orchestra by myself. I was going through a divorce. I was living someplace I didn't really want to be, I had 2 tickets, but my date dumped me. I had spent $80 on 2 tickets... nobody wanted to go with me, so I went by myself. That was the best show I have ever gone to.

This year, I am remarried, have custody of my kids, and am remarried. I bought 4 tickets to their (TSO) for the 3rd row.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been to a arena show in years, but I love live music in night clubs. Arena shows are just to much of a hassel anymore, & its not because I'm 44, its because there is just to many restrictions, you not allowed to have a good time anymore. At the US Cellar Center here in Cedar Rapids, they herd the concert goers through a cattle shute that they use for rodeos. You can miss the opening act the line is so long, 10,000 people through one door! They cut off the beer sales at 10:30 & won't let you move around freely. Just to much of a hassel for the money you spend.

So thank the music gods for bars! I'm going to King's X November 5, at a 500 capacity venue. Yep, gotta love club shows!
mtlhd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to a lot of shows about 10 yrs. ago and now with a family, I'm a lot more selective. A big reason is the set lists that most bands have. They tend to be the same set lists that they always have. For example I just saw Alice Cooper this past week and except for a few new tunes he did, it was the same songs I've seen him do in the past when I've seen him. He didn't do "Love's A Loaded Gun", "Teenage Frankenstein", "The Man Behind the Mask" which are my favorite Cooper tunes. Also Dio never does much from the Dream Evil album. He always does a lot of stuff from his first 2 albums. I just wish artists in general would mix up their set lists a lot more. I don't buy the "fans come to hear certain songs" excuse. There are also fans that have stuck with these bands for awhile and I think they deserve to hear stuff from different albums or songs that haven't been done live in awhile.

It's funny to hear someone say that arenas are "restrictive" I think club shows are more restrictive because they pack you in like sardines. I prefer arena shows. I like the roominess and also I'm into cool stage productions, so club shows don't really do it for me. There usually aren't any type of effects at club shows. Having a bunch of people bump into me is just not my idea of a good time.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mtlhd"]I used to go to a lot of shows about 10 yrs. ago and now with a family, I'm a lot more selective. A big reason is the set lists that most bands have. They tend to be the same set lists that they always have. For example I just saw Alice Cooper this past week and except for a few new tunes he did, it was the same songs I've seen him do in the past when I've seen him. He didn't do "Love's A Loaded Gun", "Teenage Frankenstein", "The Man Behind the Mask" which are my favorite Cooper tunes. Also Dio never does much from the Dream Evil album. He always does a lot of stuff from his first 2 albums. I just wish artists in general would mix up their set lists a lot more. I don't buy the "fans come to hear certain songs" excuse. There are also fans that have stuck with these bands for awhile and I think they deserve to hear stuff from different albums or songs that haven't been done live in awhile.

It's funny to hear someone say that arenas are "restrictive" I think club shows are more restrictive because they pack you in like sardines. I prefer arena shows. I like the roominess and also I'm into cool stage productions, so club shows don't really do it for me. There usually aren't any type of effects at club shows. Having a bunch of people bump into me is just not my idea of a good time.[/quote]

I'm speaking of arena shows of the 70's & early 80's, as compared with the late 80's til now. Believe me when I say there is a big difference in arena policy, restrictions, & the general disposition of the times. You were a lot freer to enjoy yourself & visit with friends 20 plus years ago than today. My first concert was Styx in 72' for $3.00!

You may not get all the razzle dazzle of huge light shows at bars, but then again I go to see & hear the band, not the effects. You’re also almost guaranteed a better sound mix at a club, as I can attest to after seeing thousands of small venue shows as a former booking agent & supporter of live music, local, regional & national.

Crowds of people? That's what concerts are about, though I've seen plenty of shows where there were only 50 people & less. Each to their own I suppose, but if you don't like crowds I suggest DVD's, but its not the same thing, is it?
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I saw Iron Maiden and I said...It's not worthy to pay that much money for a show.

Then Dio came to Sabtiago and I was there once again.

Sometimes I don't want to go across the whole process of a Concert...but when you are there...and the show is really worthy and the set-list is great...the situation changes a lot...from eatrh to heaven.

It really depends in the show this artists give us.
General Zod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Concerts..Are they worth it? Reply with quote

[quote="Tope"]
1. Are you still going as much?
2. Are you still enjoying them?
3. Tix prices too high?
4. and whatever bothers you lol
Tope[/quote]

1. Yep. More now than when I was a kid.
2. Yep.
3. Nope.
4. Skinny little 15 year olds wind-milling and kicking in the pit. It's just a matter of time before one of these little sh*ts hits/kicks me and I grab him by the throat and throw him through the f**king floor.

GZ
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Maiden owes me $30 for sitting through Archie's Enema as an opening act.
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Midnight Sun"]I still think Maiden owes me $30 for sitting through Archie's Enema as an opening act.[/quote]

Maiden is suppose to pay you for having bad taste? Very Happy

Going to see Angela and the boys tonight... can't wait.

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: