HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do the scorpions ignore the uli roth era live?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bocohrt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: why do the scorpions ignore the uli roth era live? Reply with quote

i just saw them and loved the show but i would have been nice to hear catch your train or top of the bill. they never play that era live. are they ashamed of that era? i have never seen a band so determined to ignore a big chunck of the history like they do. its like they define the band as beginning at lovedrive and afterwards.
totembird

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dunno about all their live shows..but the two i've been to way back when back in Budokan...twice, actually, they did not play any ULI material. That's too bad....ULI ROCKS!
iwarrior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably haven't played those songs in years and years and years.

Blame the fans in part. People want to hear the hits when they attend concerts. That means they're only gonna play post-Roth stuff. However they did do "In Trance" on their 1995 live album Live Bites.
bocohrt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even on world wide live, there is nothing from the uli era. they only had 4 post-uli albums out at the time of WWL.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen them a few times and never heard an Uli song that I can remember. You may get In Trance if you are extremely lucky, probably better chance of getting In Search of peace of mind.

Uli played Sails of Charon on his tour this year. I think he played others at different stops along the way.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nitro4040"]
Uli played Sails of Charon on his tour this year. I think he played others at different stops along the way.[/quote]

He played Virgin Killer at the show I was at [as well as Sails of Charon]- he really shredded it up on that one. Too bad there was no vocalist.

When I saw Scorpions in.... uh, I think it was 2001 when they went on tour with Deep Purple, they played We'll Burn the Sky. It was pretty cool.

Unfortunately Uli stuff isn't as well known as the 80s stuff so it doesn't get attention. It has a fairly different sound anyway, I'm not sure how well it would mesh with the more streamlined 80s sound.
gary427

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It sucks that they ignore the Uli years. He's a great guitar player and it was the best Scorps stuff. Unfortunately most of the typical fans only get into the stuff that got radio airplay. Really only the hardcores know about the Uli stuff. Thats what sucks about music and radio.
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gary427"]I agree. It sucks that they ignore the Uli years. He's a great guitar player and it was the best Scorps stuff. Unfortunately most of the typical fans only get into the stuff that got radio airplay. Really only the hardcores know about the Uli stuff. Thats what sucks about music and radio.[/quote]

It's not really just radio that keeps the 80s stuff in and the 70s stuff out- the Uli stuff isn't released regularly in this country. It's available now, but it wasn't for years. It doesn't get any attention from the radio, and then even if people had heard something good about Tokyo Tapes or Taken by Force they couldn't be found [I can see the reason behind Virgin Killer's absence]. If only a big label would snatch up the 70s catalog and rerelease the cds with promotion, but it's probably too late.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: