HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what are the 5 best heavy metal OR rock songs??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metal_marie21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: what are the 5 best heavy metal OR rock songs?? Reply with quote

[color=black][/color]

hello everybody

i'd like to know what are, according to you, the 5 best heavy metal or rock songs ever made?? i want to know the songs that u juss can't stop listening and that u always have in mind, the songs that u ALWAYS want to listen to, wherever u are and whatever u do.
The Coop

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alice Cooper - Long Way To Go
Foo Fighters - All My Life
Iron Maiden - 666
Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

That's the short list today, will likely change next time I'm asked.
krokus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TODAY IT WOULD BE:
OZZY OSBOURNE:BARK AT THE MOON
JUDAS PRIEST:THE SENTINEL
IRON MAIDEN:REMEMBER TOMORROW
SAXON:DENIM&LEATHER
ACCEPT:FAST AS A SHARK.
Butchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it is, INPO:

Badlands - Winter's Call
Steve Vai - The Riddle or Warm Regards
Dream Theater - Voices
Pantera - Regular People (Conceit)
Sevendust - Licking Cream
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.Starstruck - Rainbow. Narrowly beats out Tarot Woman and Stargazer as best song from Rainbow. Rainbow Rising and Lightning to the Nations are the two greatest metal releases I've heard. Anyway, Starstruck has the electric renaissance/medieval intro followed by a simple but catchy riff which is pretty much Blackmore's trademark. The lyrics are atypical for Dio- love and relationship problems aren't his thing, but this song though somewhat comical and reminding me of Strange Kind of Woman from Ritchie's Purple years it has incredible hook and a fun bouncy solo. Dio is of course amazing despite the lack of magic or darkness in the lyrics.

2.Sucking My Love - Diamond Head. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Do you hear that riff? It's a real snapper. It's the perfect riff. It's got a great drive that fills you with energy. Brian Tatler's solos on this song are probably somewhere in my top 10 solos. So we've got a killer riff [definitely top 5 riffs] two or three amazing solos, and then we've got lyrics about oral sex. What more could you want from a metal/rocknroll song? oh yeah it could last a long time - it's almost ten minutes long- awesome!

3.Child in Time - Deep Purple. Who says things have to be complicated? This song takes an incredibly simple progression/riff and jams all over it, every member of the band getting a chance to show that he can be a giant on his own, but that they can be a true force to be reconned with when they all jam together. Blackmore's solo followed by the keyboard harmonies is pure euphoria. They almost reproduced this sound on the song Burn...almost. Oh yeah, and Ian Gillan's vocal performance on this song is the best vocal performance ever on a metal record. Tough statement I know, what with stuff like Rainbow Rising [Stargazer] and certain Tony Martin performances [Valhalla], Geoff Tate [the Mission], David Coverdale[Blind Man], and other greats.

4.In My Darkest Hour - Megadeth. Shifting Gears we've got a song with a lousy singer and riffs and solos that aren't necessarily the best I've heard. But what I like here is the atmosphere. You really get behind Mustaine when he's singing this one, or maybe he gets behind you. You can really identify with his pain, which is why I listen to this one. This is not to say that this song doesn't rock. It does. By the end of the song you'll either be screaming your lungs out along with it, or thrashing around like a wolf caught in barbed wire.

5.Wild One - Thin Lizzy. Ok so it's a ballad, but that doesn't matter too much, because Phil Lynott consistantly wrote good ballads that weren't just a bunch of chord strumming with lyrics about lost girls. I suppose it's silly I just said because this particular ballad is similar to what I just described, but it's excellently written and this isn't even the type of the thing where I'm listening to the song for the lyrics, really some great progressions and writing here. I was tempted to put Pariesienne Walkways here, because the live version of that song is pure greatness, but this may just be a phase I'm in, so I'll stick with Wild One which I've known for longer.
samsalt1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Accept- Fast As A Shark....so far ahead of its time and still fresh after 22 years....

2. Helloween- Ride the Sky........ a landmark song on a landmark album...this is the song/album that started melodic power metal, as we know it...

3. Queensryche- The Queen of the Reich.....such amazing power, melody, and riffing.....too bad it was the best thing they ever did....

4. Crimson Glory- Burning Bridges...this song makes it on here for having the greatest emotional atmosphere of any metal song in history.....shows the brilliance of Midnight at his finest....

5. Agent Steel- Unstoppable Force.....the songs title is oh, so very fitting....the finest moment of one of the greatest unsung bands in history...
Metla_NZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think a top 500 would be a little easier..

Anyhow, Right at this moment

Holy Diver-Dio
Heaven and Hell-Black Sabbath
Ancient Mariner-Maiden
Orgasmatron-Motorhead
Deaf Forever-Motherhead
The Coop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choices Metla. What do you think of Please Don't Touch by Motorhead? Does anyone on this thread know who is the female vocal singing the duet with Lemmy? Just curious.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Travers - "Running From the Future," a monster of heavy Jazz/Metal, a head of it's time then & now.

Robin Trower - "Caledonia," guitar playing at its most passionate & beautiful.

UFO - "Let Roll," a monster 70's metal song if there ever was one, with great time chages & extrodinary axmenship from Schenker.

Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold," "Sometimes your going to get higher, sometimes you got to start low. Some people think they're going to die some day, I got news you never got to go." Nuff said!

Led Zeppelin - "Ten Years Gone," LZ's most beautiful song, it takes me away. "All rivers lead to the sea."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: