HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Operation Mindcrime II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xilxen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I wrote a short review of this album yesterday for a group of metal friends and will post here. (We do alot of ranking stuff as you'dd see)

First allow me to describe my biases and expectations since learning that OMII was on the horizon. I, like many of you, have been extremely alienated and disappointed with almost everything QR has done since the original Mindcrime in 1988. I was not tricked into enjoying Empire. That album appealed to lowest common denominator. Given the 18-year history of disappointment and Geoff Tate’s avowed disdain for Heavy Metal, I greeted the concept of this album with, at best, huge skepticism. Upon hearing some snippets several weeks ago, I became slightly intrigued.

Which brings us to the album. I offer my review in Q&A format.

1. Is the album heavy or just an extension of recent QR albums?
The album is remarkably and surprisingly heavy. The album has a “thicker” sound than Mindcrime I, likely the result of musical trends over the past decade. There are nice guitar solos and sections of songs with crunching riffs. QR has not put out an album this heavy since, well, Mindcrime I.

2. Does the album stay true to the original Operation Mindcrime concept?
The story picks up 18 years later when Nicki gets out of prison. The characters are all back, even from the grave. I will need the lyrics sheet to fully grasp the storyline, but I know it involves revenge, retribution, forgiveness and atonement. The story is dark and so is the music.

3. How do Tate and the band sound?
Tate sounds superb. His vocals range all over the place – trademark operatic when necessary and aggressive too. Musicianship is first rate, and although the guitars solos don’t scream out at you, they are solid. There are strings and some synth layered throughout the album but they lend to the heaviness.

4. Was the album worth the wait? Does it meet expectations?
I don’t know if anything is worth an 18-year wait, but this album delivers the goods. I suspect that if this came out 3 years after Mindcrime I we would be applauding. That’s why it is almost inconceivable, and quite sad that it took so long, that QR put out an album like this. As I said, my expectations were low. It is like expecting Metallica to return to 80s form and put out a good album. I had written off QR. This album FAR exceeded my expectations.

5. What are album’s highlights and lowlights?
Tracks 1 through 11 are terrific. The first song, “I’m American,” is classic prog and a straight-ahead rocker. The tracks are sometimes bluesy and sometimes proggy, but always catchy. “One Foot In Hell,” “Hostage” and “Speed Of Light” are all very solid. The coolest part of the album arrives on track 10, where Mr. Ronnie James Dio makes an appearance as Dr. X in “The Chase.” Absolutely killer song with Dio and Tate dueling vocals. The album loses some focus toward the end (kind of like Mindcrime I does.) The last song, “All The Promises,” is downright unfortunate. The appearance of that song single-handedly lowers my album grade by ½ point. After you hear it let me know if I’m missing something. Luckily there is more than enough to make up for that misstep.

6. What are my overall feelings on the album?
I am highly impressed with this album. It grows on me after every listen (about 8 and counting.) I’m really in shock over this thing. The original Mindcrime lands as my #2 album of all time. This album is not as good, but it is different and a complete happy surprise. I can safely say that this album has moved into my top 50 all-time and redeemed QR for me, significantly moving them up my band rankings. The question I now ponder is where does QR go from here? Do they revert to what they’ve been doing for the last 15 years, or do they maintain or expand on this musical style? Buy this album and pray that Metallica, Maiden, Motley Crue and others take notice.

8 out of 10
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for Tuesday but [b]I'm American[/b] is a good track (bought off iTunes).
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! Laughing
sly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation Mindcrime 2 Sounds pretty darn good to me, just enjoy it, good music.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Midnight Sun"] I have more respect for QR than Halford (Two era) or Dickinson (Balls to Picasso, Skunkworks) who bashed the people/music that made them rich in the 80's only to come back to metal with their tails between their legs.[/quote]

Hey Sun! It's been a while since I've posted here regularly but it's nice to still see some familiar names.

Not to sound like a fool, but seriously, what do you mean by the above statement, particularly to Rob and Bruce? Sure, I could google it, but I'd rather get the condensed version.

I consider myself a fairly true fan of metal and have been so since about 1983 or so. The thing is, I'm very into the music and not into what guys in bands say about fans and what they may say about metal music or other types of music, etc. Those kinds of stories, I usually skip, so when it comes to things like this I'm pretty oblivious to it. I just never had time to read articles that would bring up anysuch heresay or such. I can't imagine that you feel that [b]Halford[/b] "came back to metal with his tail between his legs". His [i]Two[/i] era was but a blip on his overall catalog which is about 98% true metal. As far as [b]Bruce[/b] goes, He always seemed to be into an experimental phase with some of his solo stuff, where I think he actually thought he was taking huge steps towards something different.

As far as [b]Queensryche[/b] goes, everything since the 4th or so song on [i]Promised Land[/i] has been at the very best marginal material. I can't speak for [i]Mindcrime II[/i] as I haven't heard it yet.

Again, I don't know what any of these guys say about metal or the fans, just what they put out in the studio. And from that alone you can usually tell when bands are trying to stay true to form or just go with the trends.
sly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

music.aol.com playing operation mindcrime 2 the entire cd, look under songs, full cd listening party. Also playing Lacuna Coil Karmacode. And Judas Priest, The Essential Judas Priest.
Armitage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard it... didn't like it.... saved $20.
sly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving $20 is a good thing!
Armitage

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operation Mindcrime II broke my heart...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: