HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Ballads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Power Ballads Reply with quote

I'm not into hair bands for the most part but power ballads are a different animal. They should not be synonymous with hair bands and there are some real good ones out there.

My favorite is Steelheart - I'll Never Let You Go.

That dude can scream and sing.

Another good one is I Remember You by Skid Row

Anyone else like any?
Icarus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude,
You just made me cry for a second about myself getting older.
Cool

You've opened the box, now it's time for me to ramble and reflect a bit:

I remember when I was about 21 or so I went to a [b]Steelheart[/b] show in Providence, R.I. Man, it must have been 1990 or so and it was a big deal because these guys were the up an coming thing. It was an even bigger deal because the band itself was from the southern New England area. Anyway, the show was a blast and they sounded great live, especially [i]I'll Never Let You Go[/i]. I actually recorded the show while I was there and I remember listening to the tape a few years back and hearing myself almost get into a fight with some dude. If you know anything about people in New England, we've got some real characters around here. This guy and his buddies were getting all rowdy claiming that they went to school with the band, blah, blah, blah, kind of bragging about nothing. Anyway, push came to shove and dudes started going at it all around me.
It was quite comical.

After that album, I think they released another or were going to, but I think something tragic happened to one of the guys or his family. I can't remember though.

Of course I have a [b]Skid Row[/b] story as well. This was probably a few years earlier and they were doing a show in Springfield, MA. I thinkg they were opening for [b]Aerosmith[/b]. Going back to the "characters" of New Enlgland. Some numb-nutz through a bottle or something on stage and hit Bach. He proceded to jump into the crowd boots first raming som chick (I think a chick) with his heel into here mouth. Man, it was one of the most outrageous things I ever saw a band member doing. This of course next to the singer from [b]Suicidal Tendancies[/b] jump into the crowd at a club and get into it with some dude.

Thanks for letting me ride back down memory lane.
Smile

Years ago, you could have got me naming dozens of power ballads but the older I get the lamer my memory. Contrary to what people think, many of those tunes sounded really good at the time and helped define an era in music.

I will have to go through my collection sometime and come back with a few.

I appologize for completly sidetracking your original thread topic.
Surprised
Rockangel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Me and my friends always called The Scorps one of the Kings of the metal power ballads. They had one or two at least on every album I can remember. Smile
FALCON

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my faves ( I tend to the more intricate powerful tension builders):

Lady of the Valley - White Lion, absolutely intrancing epic tale.

Bringin on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard, one of the biggest choruses ever.

Paradise - Tesla, ebs n flows, so much emotion!

One step closer - Ratt, gives me chills just thinkin about!

Black - Pearl Jam, epic classic, par with any out there!
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icarus, Steelheart has a second album - Tangled in the Reigns- but it isn't as good as the first by a long shot.

UFO and Scorpions wrote the best slow songs, I wouldn't consider all of them powerballads. Thin Lizzy had some amazing ones as well. Whitesnake's 70s ballads were awesome, but in the 80s they started doing the cheesier kind.
Bohica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Steelhearts singer. check out the movie "Rock Star".
Even though he's not in the movie, he does do most of the singing.

They even re-did "We All Die Young". Mark (can't spell his last name) does a much better job on "Steel Dragons" version than he did on the original Steelheart version.
voodoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="FALCON"]Some of my faves ( I tend to the more intricate powerful tension builders):

Lady of the Valley - White Lion, absolutely intrancing epic tale.

Bringin on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard, one of the biggest choruses ever.

Paradise - Tesla, ebs n flows, so much emotion!

One step closer - Ratt, gives me chills just thinkin about!

Black - Pearl Jam, epic classic, par with any out there![/quote]

I think the Ratt song is called One Step Away. Great tune, one of my favorite from Ratt. Or, you could be talking about Giving Yourself Away, another great song by Ratt and this one is actually a ballad, whereas One Step Away is more of a pop rocker. Both are good though.

Speaking of Skid Row, my favorite Bach vocal performance is Wasted Time from Slave to the Grind. Man, that song rocks, even for a power ballad. Same with In a Darkened Room and Quicksand Jesus, also from Slave to the Grind.
FALCON

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOODOO, you got it the ONE from INvasion! thanks, its been a while,

"Wasted Time" is absolute killer, my type for sure!

Have you heard Sebastion Bach's stuff with the German Progmetal band, Frameshift? It is pretty top shelf!

To epitomize my type of power ballad is the direction every tune that Jorn Lande sings with Beyond Twighlight!! phenominal, "ShadowLand"!!!
voodoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="FALCON"]VOODOO, you got it the ONE from INvasion! thanks, its been a while,

"Wasted Time" is absolute killer, my type for sure!

Have you heard Sebastion Bach's stuff with the German Progmetal band, Frameshift? It is pretty top shelf!

To epitomize my type of power ballad is the direction every tune that Jorn Lande sings with Beyond Twighlight!! phenominal, "ShadowLand"!!![/quote]

Bach's work with the Frameshift cd is excellent, although I can hear some deterioration in his voice. My favorite off that cd is In an Empty Room. Amazing performance.

I have heard of Beyond Twilight but I have yet to hear anything by them. Time to check them out I suppose. Jorn Lande is an excellent vocalist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: