HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I purchased the Def Leppard "Yeah!" CD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swidman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: I purchased the Def Leppard "Yeah!" CD Reply with quote

Okay, not metal.

Let's take this for what it is and that is these guys having some fun.

I have always liked DL and even though they haven't had a record like High 'n' Dry in years, they have been fun to listen to on occassion (except for that "X" crap!).

I remember most of these tunes from their original recordings and personally, though not a huge fan of Bowie, Roxy and Blondie, the songs they picked throughout the CD are cool. I love the fact there isn't one single sappy ballad on here. There are some slower paced songs, but they are story songs. I love Waterloo Sunset by the Kinks and this version is pretty good.

Any time they cover Sweet is fine with me, too! I grew up listening to that band and remember DL's version of Action back in the late 80's. I was shocked someone remembered them and dared to cover one of their tunes. Fun stuff with Hell Raiser here. Glad they didn't do Ballroom Blitz or Little Willie.

I'm glad they covered a Thin Lizzy, Mott the Hoople and a Free tune. I'm more surprised they didn't cover Queen!

Again, this is bunch of songs which takes me back to my youth and I'm glad they did this recording. They aren't metal and by picking these songs they kind of prove it. These song do rock and to me, there is proof they should head back into the studio and shove the ballads up the record company's ass and record a good solid rock album.

Anyway, I like it...YEAH!
FALCON

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Swid, nice to see ya, yeah is (its) not too shabby, it is rock, no metal atall real toned down, nicely produced, I think it is a fine listen, nothing extra special though, basically agree with your statement, sorta brings you back! FALCON
TageRyche

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, I'll be passing on the CD.

Not because it's covers or anything. I'm just simply over Def Leppard these days.
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the album is an outstanding effort. They redid Waterloo Sunset so well that it could easily pass for a new original song. I expect it to be a huge hit single for them (that is, if they should decide to release it as a single). Their cover of ELO's 10538 Overture is very well done too. I had never heard the original before, nor did I even know it was an ELO tune (I was thinking Cheap Trick myself) but now I'm anxious to check out the original to see how it compares.

I also agree with Swidman's take on the Sweet cover. I, too, would've been disappointed if they went with something predictable like Ballroom Blitz, Love Is Like Oxygen, etc.. Same goes for Thin Lizzy. I swear Joe Elliott must've summoned the spirit of Phil Lynott when recording the track -- he sounds just like him.

I don't think their covers of Badfinger's "No Matter What" and David Essex's "Rock On" are overly creative (which, ironically, are their first two singles off the album), but all in all, it's an outstanding CD. I gave up on Def Leppard years ago too, but they definitely redeemed themselves with this release -- even if it is all covers.
krokus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to read your opinions. It makes me want to buy it. The last cover album that i bought was the LAG cover album that i didnt like very much. Only their SAXON cover was great. Also the OZZY OSBOURNE cover album was shit, but after your opinion, i think i need to have this DL cover songs album. THANKSSSS. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: