HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Influental Power/Progressive/Melodic Metal albums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Glorious Gallant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

guys, i was wondering....

how long did it take each of u to compile top 50 album list?

i ve been in the metal scene for only less than a year!
FALCON

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not long, I database all my selections and basically provide a rank and category, I have over 2000 cds mostly metal. So, providing top choices is always fairly EZ, though it changes depending on my day n mood like any person. I tend to trend ranking toward new releases and exciting stuff, because I spend most my time tryn n buying music.

I provided only powermetal up top as requested. the others listed Dream Theater QRyche do not fit that mold IMO.

Welcome to the world of heavy metal gallant, U got your sights in the right direction.

XS, Some newer bands I love R Smile :

Orphaned Land
Balance of Power
Zero Hour
Evergrey
Into Eternity
Pain of salvation
Pyramize
Scar Symmetry

all progressive, with huge upside on the musicianship, SS and IE are heavier...
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some of my fave progressive albums:

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - "Utopia"

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Be Bop Deluxe - Live in the Air Age

Crack the Sky - "ST"

Max Webster - "ST"

Angel - "Helluva Band"

Platypus - "When Pus Comes to Shove"

Rush:

"2112"
"A Farewell to Kings"
"Hemispheres"
"Permanent Waves"
"Moving Pictures"

Styx - "Eqinox"

I could list some great fusion to.
voodoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a newer prog-metal band that I just heard about recently.

Communic

I have been listening to their latest Waves of Visual Decay almost nonstop for the past 2 weeks. It is by far the best release of the year so far, and I doubt I will find anything to overtake it.
soloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="voodoo"]Here's a newer prog-metal band that I just heard about recently.

Communic

I have been listening to their latest Waves of Visual Decay almost nonstop for the past 2 weeks. It is by far the best release of the year so far, and I doubt I will find anything to overtake it.[/quote]

I wont go so far as to say nothing will beat it, but I do agree with voodoo...excellent cd
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jim McCormick"]

I could list some great fusion to.[/quote]

It took me a while but I finally got into some of those recommendations you gave me a while ago. Most of it killer. Thanks alot. I dug Tommy Bolin and Al Di Meola especially, though I dig Return Forever a lot too. Oops this is the wrong thread, but you just reminded me of it, so I wanted to say thanks.

As far as powermetal goes I'll try to make a list of classic stuff here:

Helloween - Walls of Jericho, Halloween ep, various others

Running Wild - Port Royal, Death or Glory, Blazon Stone, but really this band is a winner throughout their career for this sort of sound.

Grave Digger - anything, though I'm mostly familiar with their last few albums. The Last Supper is my favorite; I'd never have thought Jesus Christ could rock this hard.

Hammerfall - Glory to the Brave

Symphony X - V is their peak- some good songs elsewhere.

Sanctuary - Refuge Denied is pure 80s powermetal with incredible guitars and some of the highest screaming I've ever heard. Into the Mirror Black doesn't grab me the same way, but it's darker and heavier iwth some incredible riffs that I'd love to emulate.

Savatage - Dungeons are Calling, Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet. Criss Oliva was an amazing rhythm guitarist. Jon Oliva used to rule on vocals- he's not bad even now.

Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian. The title track is amazing. Other stuff isn't too bad either.

Crimson Glory - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Midnight!!!!! The self titled album is pure greatness. Transcendance is worth listening to as well.

Early 80s Manowar - Used to be a great band, gimmick or no. Now the gimmick has kindof taken over. Into Glory Ride and Hail to England are pretty influential as well- look at Hammerfall for instance

Warlord- Bill Tsamis [or should I say Destroyer] had a pretty classy sound. really old school- melodic.

Malmsteen - Marching Out. I'm not even that big a fan, but this was surely important, hell it's pretty good, I just listen to other stuff more often

Mercyful Fate/King Diamond - the first few releases from each were amazing. They don't make them like they used to.

Warlock - Triumph and Agony

Fortunately there are like as Rokkz mentioned, like 12 Running Wild releases and tons of Gravedigger and other stuff so you could buy albums for a long time without having to look for new metal.
Roxgoodgrl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out...just about anything from Domain would surely qualify - a personal favorite would be a "best-of" recording from them..."The Essence of Glory"

Their website so you can see for yourself and sample the goods...

www.Domainband.de

ENJOY!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
riotrock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My all time favorite and not in any particular order:
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Ronnie James Dio - Power Slave
Metallica - Black CD
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Accept - Metal Heart
Roxgoodgrl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are some great lists, y'all. It's quite obvious that the power metal stuff is being well represented. Not so much for the progressive. It seems that melodic is at the bottom of the pile. Surely there are more than just Domain, Stratovarius, Dream Theater (and others already named). The melodic style of metal is really popular in the European areas right now.

Just think, could we really fit all this great music into one box??? There is so much out there, and so much each of us has not yet explored.

I've found these lists to be tools for me to use to explore areas of the heavy metal arena that I've not heard of...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: