HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bands from the 70s, making it big in the 80s!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krokus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"][quote]J. Geils Band
[/quote]

Good call, Myk. Not exactly HardRadio material, but a great band just the same.

Twisted Sister was a good pick too. Most people don't realize they formed way back in '72.[/quote]

Yeah, TWISTED SISTER started so many years ago. i even have a single 7" from 1980 that came out on their own label(must be rare), but they started way back in the 70s.
Badboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y&T
krokus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Badboy"]Y&T[/quote]

I already named them Wink
Butchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhead - formed in '75 but came into fame during the 80's
AC/DC - Had some success in the 70's but 1980's Back In Black was no doubt their "arrival"
Iron Maiden - No releases until 1980 but still formed in the 70's

Scorpions were actually a 60's band (formed in '65)
DEFFY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dio can be added to this list....
seems like the only ones that know about Dio's pre 80's days in Elf and Rainbow are a small number hard metal followers or Dio's cult following , but other than that that is it.
But EVERY ONE and their brother knows about his Black Sabbath days and solo career starting in the 80's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"]Sorry, Jim, but Judas Priest were not fairly well-known in the 70s. Sure, they sold a few records back then, but not nearly enough to negate my statement. How many JP articles were published in the 70s? How many pre-British Steel songs do you hear on the radio? I don't know anyone who owned a JP album in the 70s. Maybe you did, but how many others?

To be fair, they obviously did have a following, otherwise Columbia would've dropped their contract long before British Steel was recorded. But in the big picture they were nobodys until 1980. That was my only point.[/quote]

Been awhile since I've been here.

To reply, many people had Judas Priest albums in the 70's, myself included, & Judas Priest got played on the radio, not top 40, but AOR stations of the day.

Maybe in your neck of the woods they were relatively unknown, but here they were definitely gaining momentum, especially with "Hell Bent for Leather."
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Wrote:

[quote]Maybe in your neck of the woods they were relatively unknown, but here they were definitely gaining momentum, especially with "Hell Bent for Leather."[/quote]

In Cedar Rapids, Iowa??? Come on, man. I'm only about 3 hours north of you, and I find it hard to believe that any Cedar Rapids/Des Moines/Davenport radio station was playing pre-British Steel material in the 70s. Maybe some stoner DJ working the graveyard shift snuck in a tune or two when no one was listening, but otherwise I gotta say that's a hard pill to swallow.

Like I said, Judas Priest must have had enough of a following in order to continue releasing albums. I do not dispute the fact that some people obviously knew about them back in the 70s, I'll give you that. My only point is this:

Q: What's the name of this thread?

A: Bands from the 70s, making it big in the 80s

That's exactly what JP was & did.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I lie about this. Do I have some hidden motive? Am I getting paid or some other benifit from this? I can't help what you experienced in your life time, does not mean I experienced the same thing.

Yes, KFMH 99 Plus out of Muscatine, IA used to play Preist back in the 70's, along with Pat Travers, Robin Trower, Rush, Van Halen, Stanley Clarke, Mahogany Rush, Angel, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Head East, just to name a few that one would not normally asume hearing, maybe I should not say normally, it was normal for me. There was also stations in Iowa City (101 forgot the call letters) & Cedar Rapids (KCCK) that played Judas Priest. These stations were totally request oriented. Hell, I remember requesting Pat Travers "Life in London" once on KFMH & they played the whole "Putting it Straight" album! I thought is was cool!

If you don't believe me fine, my life will go on. Now how about yours? Laughing
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S.

Oh, I never said Priest was bigger in the 70's. I said they were known. There is a difference. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: