HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Guitarists Who Fell Off The Face Of The Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Myk wrote:
Jake. E. Lee

Another great choice.....I heard something a while back about Jake putting out another solo effort(anyone remember A Fine Pink Mist?) but I'm still not sure whether he ever did[/quote]

Jake released an album of all covers called Retraced last year. Ex-MSG vocalist Chris Logan sings. Excellent throughout, especially his rendition of the James Gang's 'Woman'. Definitely worth getting.

Nuno Bettencourt had a few solo projects in the past few years, so I wouldn't say he fell off the face of the earth.

Vito Bratta, on the other hand, does seem to have disappeared. Too bad. Despite the syrupy choruses of White Lion, his guitar licks were phenomenal.
Akirasolo57

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Broughton - Chateaux
krokus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARY MOORE was great back in the glory days. Same with Kyoji Yamamoto from the Japanish legendary band VOW WOW/BOW WOW. He was great.
vinyltim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"][quote]Myk wrote:
Jake. E. Lee

Another great choice.....I heard something a while back about Jake putting out another solo effort(anyone remember A Fine Pink Mist?) but I'm still not sure whether he ever did[/quote]

Jake released an album of all covers called Retraced last year. Ex-MSG vocalist Chris Logan sings. Excellent throughout, especially his rendition of the James Gang's 'Woman'. Definitely worth getting.

Nuno Bettencourt had a few solo projects in the past few years, so I wouldn't say he fell off the face of the earth.

Vito Bratta, on the other hand, does seem to have disappeared. Too bad. Despite the syrupy choruses of White Lion, his guitar licks were phenomenal.[/quote]

Mack,thanks for the update on Jake....I'll be looking for that CD

I just heard that Nuno will be touring again with Extreme....is this just a rumor?

Vito was a mother on guitar.....I agree he had to make up for Mike Tramp's shortcomings
Badboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vinyltim"][quote="Badboy"]Kane Roberts
Craig Goldie[/quote]

Craig Goldy has been playing with Dio since Doug Aldrich left to play with Whitesnake.He was on Master of The Moon.I haven't heard anything about Kane since he left Alice Cooper,though.[/quote]

I had no idea Goldie hooked back up with Dio, I quit following Dio after Sacred Heart.

I knew Kane Roberts had a couple of solo albums after he left Alice Cooper but nothing since.
Badboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I found about Vitto...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vito_Bratta

and Kane Roberts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kane_Roberts
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the Vito Bratta Wikipedia link. It must be pretty nice being able to master an instrument, put it down forever, and then pursue a completely different challenge (computers??).
Badboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mack"]Thanx for the Vito Bratta Wikipedia link. It must be pretty nice being able to master an instrument, put it down forever, and then pursue a completely different challenge (computers??).[/quote]

No kidding, same with Matt Barlow going into criminal justice WTF. I don't get it, I thought being a rock star was almost everyones dream, they quit to work 9 to 5.
Butchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be everyone's dream but the fact is that most of these guys don't make any money. I work with a guitarist who was in a touring metal band but quit a year or so ago because he got married and wanted to support his family so now he has a day job. Another guy who still is in a band and they just did a three week stint opening for 3 Doors Down in Europe and he said it was a blast but they lost money on the tour. In addition to that they had to travel and sleep in a nasty tourbus which he said he will never forget the smell of for the rest of his life. And yet another who had a major label deal back in the late 90's in which he did 2 solo albums that didn't sell very well - he now owes the label $750,000. This industry is a bitch unless you are hugely successful or just do it for a hobby.

Most people that play (true) metal have day jobs just because the indsutry isn't big enough for them to get paid enough to solely survive on their music careers.

A lot of folks wonder why Richard Christy left Iced Earth to go to the Stern show when he had so much talent as a drummer but he was a hired gun. He is very talented but Stern was giving him a job where he could work every day and collect a check that I'm sure is much more than he has ever made in his musical career. He is not a song writer so he can't collect any residuals either.

Even some of the "successful" bands from the 80's who only had a big album or two were back to working day jobs by 1990 because most of the money that they made went to pay back the labels for their investments and to pay for their tours and let's face it, a lot of these guys probably didn't invest their money too wisely either.

I always wanted to be a "rock star" but now that I see the other side I'm pretty glad that I ended up on the business side because that's where all the money is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: