HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Guitarists Who Fell Off The Face Of The Earth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunslinger808

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like pro sports players, you either make millions or starve.
METAL ROKKZ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUTCHMAN:
And yet another who had a major label deal back in the late 90's in which he did 2 solo albums that didn't sell very well - he now owes the label $750,000.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

A MUSICIAN WHO OWE'S A LABEL 3/4 OF A MILLION DOLLARS ?

WHO IS THIS MYSTERY PLAYER ?

ROKKZ
trumetalfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Chris DeGarmo, aside from the rumors that he left QR because of problems in the band, he became a pilot. It was something he had passion for as well as his music. Before he contributed to Tribe he formed a band called "Spies 4 Darwin" with some of the guys in Alice In Chains. They released one cd before going their seperate ways. He also teamed up with Jerry Cantrell in '05 and '06 for some club dates. He's still around, but he is in the position where he can pick and choose what he wants to do. I think his most recent public appearence was a benefit for an area hospital's cancer program.

Chris still has many devoted fans and even though he seems to be happy doing what he's doing now, we all hope he picks up his guitar again very soon!

Very Happy
Butchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="METAL ROKKZ"]
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------

[/quote]

I'd rather not say because I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it but I will say it was a Country Music solo artist with a hired backing band. Atlantic put money into hiring a backup band, 2 albums, several music videos, tours, etc. When all was said and done the label was $750K in the red. Now he doesn't have to pay them back but he also can't ever be associated with Atlantic records again or else he will have to pay it back. He is now a mainly just a songwriter and still sells his music in the CM world but again, unless you have a big hit (which he has not yet written) that is picked up by a big star then you still don't make very much money as most of your work ends up being "album filler" material.
Badboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Butchman"][quote="METAL ROKKZ"]

[/quote]

I'd rather not say because I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it but I will say it was a Country Music solo artist with a hired backing band. Atlantic put money into hiring a backup band, 2 albums, several music videos, tours, etc. When all was said and done the label was $750K in the red. Now he doesn't have to pay them back but he also can't ever be associated with Atlantic records again or else he will have to pay it back. He is now a mainly just a songwriter and still sells his music in the CM world but again, unless you have a big hit (which he has not yet written) that is picked up by a big star then you still don't make very much money as most of your work ends up being "album filler" material.[/quote]

That clause must have been in their contract and was willing to take the chance. I don't know anything about the business side of the music industry, but I'm sure that's how most contracts read. In Vitto's case White Lion was already a hit and he was a rising star the fame must have been to much for him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: