HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What were your favorite cds of 06'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dorf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t bought a lot this year either, but here’s my top five:

New York Dolls – One Day It Will Please Us To Remember Even This
House Of Lords – World Upside Down
Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death
Slayer – Christ Illusion
Ty Tabor’s Rock Garden
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown weary of list-making since it seems like a geeky rock journo thing. As I'm getting older, ranking things is becoming meaningless to me. I just like what I like. Why I'm doing this, I dunno.

1-Hammers of Misfortune-The Locust Years
2-Blind Guardian-A Twist In The Myth
3-Bible of the Devil-The Diabolic Procession
4-Iron Maiden-A Matter of Life and Death
5-I-Between Two Worlds
6-Celtic Frost-Monotheist
7-Voivod-Katorz
8-Satyricon-Now, Diabolical
9-Poisonblack-Lust Stained Despair
10-The Sword-Age of Winters

There were a lot of other excellent albums that came out this year, but that's what first popped in my skull, and I 'aint changin' it or expanding it. It's just too trying, and again it really doesn't mean a thing aside from alertin' ya to stuff ya might have never heard of before, which may be the only reason left to do it anymore.
Subtract

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

- Strapping Young Lad - The New Black (I LOOOOOVVEE this album so much, it's the only incredibly heavy album that brings tears to my eyes)

- Devin Townsend - Synchestra

That's all I'm putting up right now, I can't think.
NEO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pics for 2006 are here:

www.hardrockhideout.wordpress.com
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only album that I'm really into from this year has been Ihsahn - the Adversary [inspiring mix of old and new Ihsahn ideas. His trademark riffing styles included, plus the song with all clean vocals is pretty cool. I enjoy his experiments on this much more than those in Peccatum- the sounds on this album are much more cohesive].

I'm pretty tired of doing top 10s as well, though reading others lists is interesting. There aren't that many new bands that interest me and fewer and fewer old bands that get me going. I'm waiting for the next Running Wild, Priest, Gravedigger, Megadeth, Arch Enemy, but I don't expect any of them to blow me away.

It was nice to get at least one album that I enjoy though, so even though I'm only putting one album on my list, I'm grateful that that album was good.

Other cds from 2006 that I bought:

Dissection - Reinkaos [good in some places- disappointing in others- hardly groundbreaking]

Metal Church - Light in the Dark [a good album, but too much of it hearkens back to the early years- if I'm going to listen to stuff that sounds like The Dark, then I'll just listen to The Dark].

Bal Sagoth - The Cthtonic Chronicles [this has got to be the geekiest band I've ever heard. I enjoy some of the music, but it's lyrics and sound are nerdier than any powermetal band, any prog band. It sounds like the soundtrack to some video game or something. Ridiculous]

Jon Oliva - Maniacal Renderings [wasn't really into it before my copy some how broke - it has a metal case how the f**k did it break???!!!-- so I don't really have another chance to get another opinion on it]

Suidakra - Caledonia [they've definitely hit the point where they are repeating themselves. On its own, Caledonia is a decent album worth trying for it's celtic/folk inspired melodies and intense riffing; but if one has already heard songs like Darkane Times, The Arcane Spell, Enticing Slumber, and Signs for the Fallen it just doesn't measure up. They've done it before and better].

I think I bought a couple of others, but they aren't coming to me right now.
iwarrior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Subtract"]Hmmm

- Strapping Young Lad - The New Black (I LOOOOOVVEE this album so much, it's the only incredibly heavy album that brings tears to my eyes)

- Devin Townsend - Synchestra

That's all I'm putting up right now, I can't think.[/quote]

I forgot about those. Synchestra was very good. The New Black I liked also, but I think I like Dev's solo stuff better. It's more eclectic, whereas his SYL stuff is just pure agression.

Like I said, there was a lot of good stuff that came out this year. The past few years have been great for metal.
Subtract

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iwarrior"]

I forgot about those. Synchestra was very good. The New Black I liked also, but I think I like Dev's solo stuff better. It's more eclectic, whereas his SYL stuff is just pure agression.

Like I said, there was a lot of good stuff that came out this year. The past few years have been great for metal.[/quote]

I agree with that for the most part, that SYL is more about pure aggression than his solo stuff. But listening to "Almost Again" from the new album, my senses beg to differ. I think that with the new SYL album I get a feeling of a good mix between his solo stuff and his SYL stuff. I'm seeing SYL going in a really great direction, although maybe some people would disagree.
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its one that I discovered in 2006, yet I think it was released in 2005....

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

I think the only other disc I bought that was released in 2006 was BLS Shot To Hell, and wasn't very impressed with it.
NEO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice List Krokus. Looks like you have quite a bit of the same stuff I picked up in '06.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: