HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR (IN THE 80's)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR (IN THE 80's) Reply with quote

Pick a year between 1980-1999 and a "album of the year" with a short explanation why you like that album. It doesn't have to b the most "important" album or the most selling, but something why it's the best according to you.

I'll go first.

[u]Year: 1983, Mötley Crüe - Shout at the Devil[/u]

Until this record I loved Kiss and Kiss only. In our "friend group" you could only have one favourite band/artist. It was almost a blasphemy to like someone else than KISS. But a classmate were a huge Mötley fan and when I heard the "Shout, shout, shout, shout at the Devil" in his room I felt how different this was. Kiss suddenly appeared lame. This was like a kick in my 11 years old chest. THIS WAS AWSOME. That day the unwritten rule regarding "Only listen to one band" disappeared and I became a real metalhead and I still am 23 years later. Thats why [b]Shout [/b]is album of the year 1983 to me.
As I write this now Hard Radio plays Mötley Very Happy [/u]
Myk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1987- Appetite for Destruction. This record did more for my style of music at a time of total Pop and cheesiness than any other and quite possibly saved it from extinction.
Like the record or not it kept HR/HM in the fore ground.
Jim McCormick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three way tie for 1989

King's X - "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

Living Colour - "Vivid"

Raging Slab - "Raging Slab"

Three great albums from artists who took the best from the 60's & 70's & added their own twist for something truely original.

King's X - Pat Travers, Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Beatles & Pink Floyd.

Living Colour - Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, P-Funk, Pat Travers & fusion.

Raging Slab - Lynryd Skynryd meets Metallica via Pat Travers.
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=cyan]AC/DC - Back In Black[/color]
[i]This album started it all for me. I was 11 when it came out, and I was never the same since.[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]Van Halen - Women & Children First[/color]

[color=cyan]Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman[/color]
[i]Ozzy & Randy's best work, IMHO[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]Riot - Fire Down Under
[/color]
[color=cyan]Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love[/color]
[i]This album blew me away. Very few bands at the time sounded as raw as the Crue did on this album[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]UFO - Mechanix[/color]

More to come...
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: year Reply with quote

[b]1984[/b] - Almost a tie between Piece of Mind & Ride the lightning, but Metallica wins this one. - Because it gives me nice flashback to my youth.

[b]1985[/b] - Metal Heart,Hell Awaits? No, Live is the key word in 85. I discover Scorpions with World Wide Live but Iron Maidens World Slavery Tour (322 gigs) generates my pick, the best live album since Alive II.. LIVE AFTER DEATH. The sound is great and it makes you feel like one in the moshpit.
Mack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[color=cyan]Metallica - Kill 'Em All[/color][i]
This one's a no-brainer. I first heard it in '84 and was totally awestruck. Metal was taken to the next level with this one.[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]Zebra - Zebra[/color]

Mr. Kilmister wrote:
[quote]Almost a tie between Piece of Mind & Ride the lightning, but Metallica wins this one. - Because it gives me nice flashback to my youth. [/quote]

Amen. Except I think Piece Of Mind actually came out in '83

[color=cyan]Anthrax - Spreading The Disease[/color]
[i]This album made Anthrax my new favorite metal band... until Master Of Puppets changed my mind in '86[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]SOD - Speak English Or Die[/color]

[color=cyan]Metallica - Master Of Puppets[/color]
[i]Classic[/i]
Honorable Mention: [color=yellow]Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?[/color]
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. Except I think Piece Of Mind actually came out in '83

Hell yes, you're right, May 16 -83. My mistake brother Embarassed
The Dorf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

Now some of the regulars here might know that KX is my favorite band, but this is the album that started it all. I had seen the "Over My Head" video on Headbanger's Ball, and liked the song so much that I had to check out the whole album. After a few listens my mind was totally blown, I had never heard anything like it. Their versatility was simply amazing, ranging from straight out melodic hard rock (Over My Head, Send A Message, Fall On Me) to psychedelia (Summerland, Out Of The Silent Planet, The Burning Down, Pleiades) to funk (Everybody Knows A Little Bit Of Something, Don't Believe It) to CSN-style folk (The Difference). Not to mention that I had never heard a hard rock band use three-part vocal harmonies the way these guys do. (Ty and Jerry are good singers, but Doug simply has one of the most soulful, passionate voices I've ever heard.) And finally, I have to mention that these guys were grunge before grunge became a household word. Hell, even Jerry Cantrell admitted he would listen to King's X to get ideas for riffs for Alice In Chains songs!!

Anyway, Gretchen made me a diehard KX fan, and while they hit a bit of a slump at the turn of the century (Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous, Manic Moonlight), they're still one of the most original hard rock bands ever.

My apologies if I rambled on a bit too much. Wink
Mack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorf:

I couldn't agree more. Gretchen hit me the same way it hit you, it seems. I was on a road trip to Lake Superior when I first heard Over My Head on a Duluth rock station. I had never heard such a unique sound, and it was a nice change from all the hair metal flooding the airwaves in 1989. I was lucky enough to get into King's X just a few months before they played at a St. Paul bar (with Masters Of Reality opening -- another great underrated band). The bar was so small, the band actually had to walk through the crowd to get on stage. It was surreal, and I'm really lucky to have caught them on the Gretchen tour.

[color=cyan]King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska[/color]

Honorable Mention: (tie) [color=yellow]Badlands - Badlands[/color] and [color=yellow]Testament - Practice What You Preach[/color]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: