HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best concert you´ve seen!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: The Best concert you´ve seen! Reply with quote

Tell us what is your favorite gig and a short explaination about the magic night.
1 - Band
2 - Year/tour
3 - Location

I´ll go first.

[b]Guns N´ Roses 1991 in Stockholm,[/b] Sweden. I got totally hooked up on GNR at the very first time I saw "Welcome to" video as a new song on Sky Channels Europe top 40 in 88. And when they finaly came to Sweden I saw them two night in a row in 91 and a third and last time in 1993.

Those two summer nights in 91 will always be a sweet memory to me!
Myk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to post in this thread but I have so many favorites for a variety of reasons that I cannot pick just one. I tried to, really but I can't. I get half way thru it and I get the feeling I'm cheating on another experience.
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Myk"]I'd love to post in this thread but I have so many favorites for a variety of reasons that I cannot pick just one. I tried to, really but I can't. I get half way thru it and I get the feeling I'm cheating on another experience.[/quote]

Ha ha, but mension just a few that you are proud of to have seen. No ranking..
shin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR BIG + AEROSMITH

11/93

Milan (I)
Icarus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge fan of live spectacle, so my favorite shows have been just that. Big Arena shows, with awesome theatrics and great live presence by the performers.

Here are a few in order by date:

[b]Reo Speed Wagon[/b]
[i]Wheels Are Turnin'[/i]
(What can I say, this was the first big show that I went to, so it will always have a place in my heart.)

[b]Judas Priest[/b]
[i]Turbo[/i]
(This was an all day deal, Hanging out in the parking lot, and then the show hit, and it was magic. 7,000 or more people in a general admission setting, myself against the wall at the stage, almost getting crushed to death. . . great times were had by all.)

[b]Motley Crue[/b]
[i]Girls, Girls, Girls[/i]
(Pyro, pyro, and more pyro!!! Plus back-up chick singers in tight leather, and Tommy Lee spinning around like he was on a theme park ride. This was true 80's decadence)

[b]Iron Maiden[/b]
[i]Seventh Son of a Seventh Son[/i]
(Heck, it was [b]Maiden[/b] for christ's sake! Eveything was right on. Tight vocals, and instruments, and of course a frozen waste land with various forms of Eddie)

[b]Bon Jovi[/b]
[i]New Jersey[/i]
(I was so caught up in the hype of this tour. I had heard [b]Bon Jovi[/b] play a small club in Lake George, NY a few years before when I was about 13 or so standing outside. Then, I saw them open for [b]Ratt[/b] in 1985. After seeing the [i]Slippery When Wet[/i] tour, I was looking forward to the their next outing. They did not disapoint. Different stage approach this time, very clean, and viewable from everywhere, but the catwalk that went around the entire arena was one of the coolest things I'd seen.

[b]Madonna[/b]
[i]Blonde Ambition tour[/i]
(I put this in my top picks as the staging and performance was awesome for the time. The stage set would change after every 3 songs or so, and let's face it [b]Madonna[/b] is a great perfomer. Very good show.)

[b]ZZ Top[/b]
[i]Recycler[/i]
(There may have been a crap load of canned music for this live show, but it was enjoyable as hell. The recycling machine on stage was the coolest thing since the [b]Bon Jovi[/b] cat-walk)

[b]Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Alice and Chains[/b]
[i]Clash of The Titans[/i]
(great show, and well put together. Much better than the Monster of Rock tour in 1988, where it seemed to take forever between bands)

I've been to so many shows, I can't really remember some of them (I guess not a lasting impression)

As far as club, intimate setting shows, that's a whole different deal. Many of those shows had better performances than some of the arena shows.
I will have to think about those shows a bit more.
Bohica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy...

Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
Any year!!!
Any town!!

I guess for favorite year... it would have to be the 2003 tour. I was going through a divorce... let me interupt this for a minute...

In 2000, my wife & I packed up the kids and moved from KC to Wichita for her job. 2.5 years later, she transferred back to KC for her job. I stayed behind to sell the house, and do some contracting jobs. Come October, 2003 (10 months after everyone moved back to KC), she called and said she wanted a divorce. So, here I am, living 200 miles from home, the only people I knew in this town were the ones I worked with. I had been sitting in the house for 10 months, being faithful, not going out, saving money, etc. So, I decided to go online and meet people.....

So... back to the story. I had met this woman online. It was like we were meant for each other. A perfect match!! So, I bought 2 tickets to go see TSO. About a week before the concert, she didn't want to see me anymore. Here I am with 2 tickets, and only me going. I tried to give away the other ticket at work. Nobody wanted to go.

Come the night of the show, I even thought about not going myself. But then decided not to feel sorry for myself... that I had to entertain me, and that it was going to be just ME for awhile. So I went to the show... 15th row. My Dr. Pepper used my other chair.

The show was unbelievable. It was magical. Kind of like going to Disneyland as a kid. Seeing Star Wars for the first time. Having sex for the first time. It just grasped me!!

Update on what has happened since....
I got custody of my 2 daughters. Met someone from work, and got married. We make it an annual family event to go see TSO every year, no matter how far we have to travel.

2004 - Wichita
2005 - KC
2006 - Oklahoma City
2007 - They're coming back to Wichita!
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is damn near impossible to narrow down. But here it goes...

Dio - Sacred Heart 1987 - Charlotte Coliseum, Sept 27, 1985. Not only was it my first real concert in a big arena, it was the Sacred Heart tour with the dragon stage....was just killer.

Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time Tour - Charlotte Coliseum, April 4, 1987 - Was seeing my favorite band for the first time....they seemed so much larger than life to me at that point of my life. Plus I loved the Eddie on that tour.

The Rolling Stones - Steel Wheels Tour 1989 - Carter Finley Stadium, Raleigh - September 16, 1989 - On a Saturday night, perfect weather, and the Stones were back after a 8 year hiatus. The atmosphere was electric, and Mick and Keith and the fellas came out and put on one helluva show, and was the best stage show I had ever seen with music by one of my favorite rock n roll bands. During Tumbling Dice, there was a nice breeze blow just as they oooooo'ed in that song.

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant - No Quarter Tour 1995 - Thompson Boling Arena, Knoxville TN. March 3, 1995 - Never thought I would see these guys perform these songs. Was in awe all night. Highlights were The Song Remains The Same, Thank You, In The Evening, and Since I've Been Loving You. (Saw them again in '98 from the second row, and after the song Ramble On, I was pointing at Page and showing my appreciation, he looked straight at me, winked and smiled and nodded his head to show his appreciation...that is actually my favorite moment from any show).

Iron Maiden - Brave New World Tour 2000 - Irvine, CA - September 10, 2000 - Never thought I would see these guys together again. Plus it was a perfect Southern California night with a full moon in the sky. Highlights were the opening acts (Rob Haford and Queensryche), all the songs they played off Brave New World, and the classics, and Bruce ranting about Jennifer Lopez' ass and how they weren't about playing stuff from the past as they are a band about the future (or something like that).

Black Sabbath (Heaven & Hell) - Tsongas Arena 5-17-2007 - Lowell MA -
A religious experience. Iommi confirms his Godlike status to me. The only part of the show that was not a highlight was Vinnys drum solo (so that was beer and piss time). Songs that absolutely floored me were Falling Off the Edge Of The World, I (wasn't familiar with this one...learned it is a great song), and of course, the 15 minute of Heaven and Hell. (Another note: When I saw Sabbath on Ozzfest in 2005, I got the opportunity to meet Iommi and Geezer (and got my BS Black Box Set signed). Anyway, I told Iommi how much I appreciated all the great music through the years and for being such an inspiration to guitar players everywhere. He look up at me, and he extended his hand to me for handshake. I thought that showed total class. And I still haven't washed that hand. Smile )
Jorge Castillo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Certainly those are great shows guys.

For me...I'd say.

Dio 2005 and Dickinson 1997. Both in Santiago, Chile.

Dio was like omg waaaaaaaaa
He is singing those Sabbath tunes and all his classics! and his voice....geez I couldn't believe it...he is a powerhouse! his voice is per-fect. I still have the images. He is just a perfect singer.

And dickinson was like, well, we all are fans of maiden, so to see dickinson sing some iron maiden tunes (he finished the show with R.T.Hills) was apotheosic. He even sang Powerslave! Smith and Dickinson, together in the Accident of Birth Tour. Mamma mia.

Angra 2000 [i]I think[/i]. For the [b]Fireworks [/b]tour. Great show, nice attitude. One of my fav band at that time. In Santiago.

What I want to see now?

Joe Lynn Turner, Soto, Hughes and Bonnet!
The Coop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to see RUSH in Toronto this coming Wed. evening. Can't wait, it'll be my first RUSH show ever and promises to be the best concert I've ever seen! Just counting down the minutes........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: