HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eddie Van Halen or Randy Roads?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WASP Freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question, Randy Rhoads. Put on the song Diary Of A Madman, with headphones, and give it an hour's solid listen. Every layer, every nuance. Then tell me I'll Wait is better.

Max Norman, who produced Ozzy's LPs with Randy, and has heard more guitar players than any of us, said of Randy (paraphrase) He's the only musician I ever saw who could lay down a track and repeat it precisely identical again. He would always record three or four solos, and I couldn't tell the difference in them...but he could. He'd pick one, then duplicate it. Most amazing thing I ever saw.

Nuff said.
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread that would not die....

Although I respect Wasp Freak's opinion and don't disagree entirely, I'm not sure it was fair to compare "Diary..." to "I'll Wait" -- one of VH's lamest songs, IMO.

To be completely fair, you should compare only the VH songs that came out during the same period that Randy was still around. Say what you want, but [i]no one[/i] can say with any certainty that Randy's material would have been as good after Diary. What if Eddie would have died after Fair Warning? People would have sworn that Eddie hadn't yet hit his prime before his untimely death, and the guitar work on his next album surely would have been as good as Fair Warning, if not better. Unfortunately, we all know it wasn't as good, but we'll never know with Randy...

Besides, the question shouldn't be "who's better", but rather "whose style do you like better?"
The Coop

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote: Besides, the question shouldn't be "who's better", but rather "whose style do you like better?"

I couldn't agree more! I'm not going to repeat any of the well articulated arguments already presented. Both metal gods, Eddie has endured despite his own self-destructive lifestyle, Randy unfortunately dead because of an idiot flying the plane he was riding. Personally, although I enjoy Randy's playing, I prefer Eddie's style, it seemed much more intricate. But, the all-time unmovable Guitar God on his throne forevermore should always be Jimi Hendrix. No question.

Another of my favourite guitar gods with much accolades is John Sykes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: