HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Videoclip From An 80's News Report About Metal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Videoclip From An 80's News Report About Metal Reply with quote

Here's a clip of a news report with Barbara Walters about Heavy Metal that was done in the 80's. It's quite interesting. They go around to schools and talk to kids about metal, parents talk, Tipper has her say, etc.
Amazing how many adult people thought the 80's was out of control (the world in general) and how all these bad influences were around. Ironic that nowadays we are exposed to 100 times more stuff than we ever were in the 80's (tv, internet, email propoganda, etc). Also ironic, besides of the Dubrow drug example, that most of the problem people today are not metal heads or bands, but actors, rappers, and pop stars....Anyway,thought you guys and gals might want to see this. Watch part two also (link will be on the right, it has some rough parts as someone must have transfered this from an old VHS), but it is a "nice" view of what we grew up with....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orrgV_piHPA
Wigpoppa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clip.

*comments from both clips*

What I find great about this is that most of the kids are fairly rational. They tried to make this segment about how bad the music is, but the kids make them look bad. When asked about a name (Soldiers of Death) the kid says "It's just a name." And another about the controversial lyrics, "not all songs talk about that though, so avoid the songs you don't like." Another on a song called Kill Yourself "It's just a song, you aren't going to go out and do it, unless you have real bad problems." "The music is not going to kill you, it's yourself."

And they were right on about those preps playing frisbee in the middle of the field. Just wrong. Smile

Are they really trying to bash Peace Sells?

Bruce says something that is relevant today. To paraphrase, "Is it bad? like selling arms to Iran? or insider trading? or dumping toxic waste? Because they wear suits and ties it's ok and they are not sick?(sarcasm)."

BAH and I like how they mentioned a heavy metal tape was found at the scene of a suicide. I also heard ice cream causes drowning. Ice cream use goes up in summer, so does the number of drownings. I can put two and two together as well. right?

Anyhow, one can go on and on about it. I watched both and it is kinda hard to see where they were coming from. It started out as a hatchet job, but at the end they talk about how "it isn't the music that does the harm."

This was about when I got into metal. Maybe this piece turned me onto it Smile

Thanks again for the clip, brought back a lot of memories.
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashback!

I remember that from those days. Doing metal radio back then we were very much up on what the media had to say.

I particularly like young Stone Phillips at first saying this isn't mainstream music, then later mentioning twice that it's selling millions and millions of records. The #1 sales genre of the 80's and early 90's, over a decade, was metal music.

They never got at the time that metal was (and still is in many respects) the Championship Wrestling of Rock and Roll. How about horror movies or violence in TV, how many kids did that affect? I remember back then we had a statistic that showed how many thousands of violent messages youth were exposed to by TV alone.

Thanks for the post, Baba Wawa was priceless.
Mack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's amazing to me is the fact that I recorded this 20/20 segment back when it originally aired in '86 (and I still have it on an ancient Beta tape)! Small world, indeed.
Mr Kilmister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha

I remember our teacher, telling us how dangerus it was to listen to KISS.
Then in a TV programme in Sweden, they had a special episode about WASP and how they were twisitng our young minds. with obscene lyrics.
leapyear29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metal does not make kids commit suicide. Metal is a way of life. i love metal and i never thought of killing myself..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: