HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the metal fans???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icarus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Where are the metal fans??? Reply with quote

What happened to all the metal fans? I've been on this forum for about 10 years or so, and it seems that the population of metal fans here has gone down quite a bit.

The aging process is in full swing.
MetalLurch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check out this place just about everyday to see what is going on, but I haven't bought any new music or seen any live shows in years, so I have nothing to post.

The last major show I saw was Queensryche New Years Eve '91. The ripoff service charge was as much as the first show I saw in '78, which was $7 for Aerosmith with Mahogany Rush opening. I went to all local band shows at clubs from then on.

I also don't want to sound like the old dude I am (I'll be 50 in June), so I try not to drone on about the "good old days".

I will say this: I remember when people around here would mention how large their music collections are when all I have are a couple hundred CD's and a few of those are duplicates of records. I looked at what I have and how much of it I usually listen to often and decided that if I was ever going to buy any new music, it would have to be something amazing. I'm guessing I listen to maybe 10% of what I have with an occasional listen to something I haven't heard in awhile. Unfortunately, most modern metal that I hear has those horrid vocals which aren't so much singing as vomiting so I avoid it.
Swidman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post here every so often. I have also been a round here for 10 + years. Saw this MB community dwindle in size.

I'm 43 years old now and even though I might not go to many concerts, I do still listen to metal. Over the last couple years, I've been listening to more power metal. Before that, I was very heavy into Progressive Metal and guitar virtuoso releases. I don't always listen to good ol' HardRadio.com because just like all other radio stations, they have a rotation and I don't like too much repetition. So I search for other stations to keep from hearing the same songs to frequently.

When it comes to purchasing new music, just like MetalLurch, it has to be something I know I'm going listen too over and over. The new Ace Frehely, Primal Fear, Chickenfoot and Hammerfall CDs are examples of what I went an bought last year. I was not disappointed. But I have become a lot more selective with my purchasing.
DEFFY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us still here. I am also 43 and it has been over 10 years since i listen to HR (longer if you count the z-rock years).
I think one of the major reasons you don't see as much activity in posts is because of the new technologies different flavors of communicating. IMO people communicate less, they post or state more about themselves but not exchange ideas like we used to with these type of boards.
Most people go to myspace (young people) facebook (older people) and constantly visiting sites like youtube to share their videos.

I still listen to metal, most of it I purchase, very few downloads. I saw Black Sabbath (I think they go by Heaven and Hell now) Iron Maiden, Megadeth and few others, but mosly local metal bands or tribute bands (pretty cool shows if you are in the low budget). I did the Ozzfest thing for nearly 10 years, but not much metal(especially during the middle of the decade)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all around, just lurking and not posting. Every board has this right now, unless it's full of teenager's, which we obviously aren't.
Jake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a teenager. I started posting about 10 years ago at age 8 and have since grown to age 30. Um ooops. I guess I was a teenager when I first started posting and now am not.

There aren't a lot of threads in here. The best metal releases nowadays in my opinion are post black or post death avant garde metal type albums. I like the way some of these groups push the limits but still have some good speed or crunchy riffs.

In terms of older stuff I've been into technical thrash type bands more lately- Mekong Delta, Watchtower, Toxik, Realm, Coroner, Destruction [Cracked Brain- the others aren't this type of technical metal].

The last traditional metal album that I thought was really good was Helloween's Gambling with the Devil. That album was a big surprise. I've always been a Helloween fan [I think I'm only one of two guys who thinks Pink Bubbles is good], but Gambling with the Devil is without a doubt the best power/true metal album in the last few years. Granted that was in 2007, but hopefully they'll come out with another worthy album soon. Much better than Priest, Maiden, and other such releases recently. Great songs and vocal melodies. Plenty of aggression, but not going beyond what the band is known for [unlike The Dark Ride- wow that was a decade ago now!].
Rockangel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still here still checking.. but throwing my whole wee heart into keeping the momentum of my art career headed in the right direction. LOL Launching 2 new stores this year. XD
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 34 when I signed on...and now I'm 45. Ouch.

I think I stopped posting when all the new metal bands all started sounding the same and the old school metal had been discussed to death.

I'm so sick of every new metal band having the same damn vocals. It's heavy, but boring as hell. The only new metal I listen to is the stuff that sounds 20 years old! Probably a sign of old age.

I just saw the Megadeth/Testament/Exodus show in a 2000 seat venue, so that was cool.

And sorry my hardradio brothers, but I spend most of my "social" metal time on blip.fm. Listening to old shit.....like me.

Older, but still metal! Rock on!!
The Dorf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, remember me? It's been a while since I last posted but I'm one of those that still visits here every couple of days to see what's going on. BTW Hardrocker, is the Hard Music page ever gonna be fixed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: