HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H'n'H IN AMERICA......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noodles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 6:19 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

I'M ITALIAN AND I'M VERY CURIOUS ABOUT THE AMERICAN METAL SCENE.....
LAST SUMMER I WORKED IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR FEW MONTHS AND I SAW THAT '70S AND '80S MUSIC IS STILL LISTENED! RADIOS PLAY OLD SONGS AND MANY PEOPLE STILL KNOWS MYTHS OF THE PAST! IT SEEMS THAT AMERICANS HAVEN'T FORGOT THE METAL ROOTS!
IN ITALY THE SITUATION IS QUITE DIFFERENT. JUST FEW PEOPLE STILL LISTENS OLD METAL....

IS IT ONLY A DIFFERENT MUSICAL CULTURE MATTER?
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 7:53 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

Nahh,, depends on what is defined as old metal. I mean Metallica, Megadeth, and Sabbath will always be radio mainstays. But, you wont hear say Testament anywhere. Back in the day musicians where viewed as gods worshiped for their axe sling'n. Nowadays musicians are viewed as cartoon charcters and have 20 mins. instead of 20 yrs.
Bullgod10304

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 10:38 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

Fatal gets the three. Yeah, America has a short attention spand. You have to be God-like to maintain the publics attention nowadays. American people, in general, like variety and new things. But, most of its corperate America, they push what's new and forgets what's old and still great. SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! I swear to God I hear disc jockeys doing this, I heard someone on the radio request an older song by a group, the dumb-ass dj said how about their latest song and played that instead. Jerkoffs!!
Coda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 10:34 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

People still know the music but it's mostly the older people in teh 20's & up. The kids don't know jack beyond mainstream 90's post-nirvana. Old bands to them are liek PEarl Jam & Nirvana. Most of them have never heard of WASP or Megadeth.
Depp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 10:54 am    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

Noodles, do you have a caps-lock problem ?
noodles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 3:32 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

OH YES.....SORRY FOR MY HUGE LETTERS, BUT I DON'T LIKE TO WRITE like that.......
Motorola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 5:13 pm    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

As far as I know, American radio stations often have so called "play lists" (dreadful word!) that they never stray away from. Play lists contain the songs that the radio station must play, and I don't know exactly why, but I guess the record companies pay them! Those of you who are in the music radio business, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think play lists are absolutely devastating to the world of music and that they should be banned.
When I lived in America, the DJ of the local radio station often claimed that "no song would be played twice in the same day", as if it was some kind of advantage. I don't want to hear the same song again for at least a week! I even attempted to call in and request a song, but the only people who got their requests through were those who requested a song on the play list!
Pop and (so called) rock radio always play the same songs all the time. At least they promote some new stuff, as long as it's on the play list. Then there are the "classic rock" stations, who play the the good old tunes, but they always play the same old tunes! How many times haven't we heard "Paranoid", "Stairway To Heaven", "More Than A Feeling", "Living After Midnight", "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet", etc? They act as if each classic band only released two good tracks! Incredible.
I guess the only radio stations with some sort of spine are the university radio stations, where the DJ actually has some say in what goes out in the airwaves.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if play lists were banned and the DJs only played music they liked? OK, I know, they have to give people what they want in order to sell commercials.
This is a statement that I know will upset some of you on the other side of the pond: American people are generally more prone to listen to the music the record companies stuff down their throats than people on this side of the pond. I await your comments. Remember that I said "generally", I don't mean all of you.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2000 12:57 am    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

I think the reason for playlists is to prevent radio stations in part from playing potentially offensive material over the radio and also to have a more general planning for what is going on.

but interms of why metal is not as popular here as it is in Europe, i think that in truth it all is just because the trend is behind in most of Europe. Although notice in England metal is not popular there either right now. England seems to begin alot of the trend flows musically, and then they go to the US and then later on they finally get big in other European countries. For instance when i went to spain a few years ago, bonjovi had become a big hit, although bonjovis highest popularity was in the late 80s was it not? therefor its just that they dont hit the trends as soon. In addition it seems like their culture is less based on buying things than here, which might make them less into supporting bands just because they are popular somehow. but i dont know about that one for sure. I do know that Maiden in big in Spain right now but no one even knows what Dickinson is singing. so id just say they are behind on the trends.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2000 9:40 am    Post subject: H'n'H IN AMERICA...... Reply with quote

If Europe is behind on the trends, why did Metallica travel to Denmark to record Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets and not simply record them here? Likewise, why were disco and electronic music revolutionized and pupular overseas long before they touched these shores. It has less to do with being behind and more to do with the nature of media marketing in each country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: