HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HardRocker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 5:23 am    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

from C|net:

The heavy metal band, which is suing music-swapping company Napster for what the musicians say are massive copyright violations, says it has identified more than 335,000 individuals who were allegedly sharing the band's songs online in violation of copyright laws.

The band's attorneys will deliver close to 60,000 pages of documents to the small software company Wednesday afternoon, asking that Napster block all of those individuals from the service. It's the first time Napster or other file-swapping software users have been identified in bulk as potential copyright pirates.

"I don't know if it's going to put a chill on the user end," said Howard King, the Los Angeles attorney who represents Metallica and rap artist Dr. Dre, who also is suing Napster. "But it certainly is going to show other artists what they can do to get their work out of Napster."

full story here: [url=http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1798138.html?dtn.head]http:/ /news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1798138.html?dtn.head[/url]
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 5:40 am    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

Is Lars right or wrong here for pursuing this, talk about biting the hand that feeds. Pissing off 300,000!! potential/current Metallica fans by having their access blocked to Napster, sounds to me like the boys are trying to play judge & jury here. I think most of us have heard that MP3.com was ruled to be in violation of copyright laws, their shares dropped significantly as a result. Will Napster be next? I'm on the fence with this topic since the potential for finding rare/deleted releases is great but the bands should get paid somehow in the form of a royalty per download. I don't work for free and Lars sure doesn't so...

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Coda

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 6:40 am    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

I saw fu*k metallica. This just proves that they're out-date, obselete dinosauars with their head stuck up their own as@es. if the yhave to pay for tradin in napster then you'll have to pay for copying your friends kill 'em all tape cause it's the same damn thing!! It's a sad sad world where the Offpsring & Limp Bizkit deserve more respect then Metallica. I'm gonna have 2 shoot myslef now cause i'm siding with Fred Durst on something. *L* Metallica is just pathetic. Follow your own song advice & dissapear already before you do naymore damage. They calim to be "protecting" copyrights in this but everyone will suffer in the end. How many fans to lesser-known bands now hacve because of Naptser & "illgeal" mp3-trading? They will be the ones to suffer but of course Lars doesn't have to worry about that right now cause EVERYONE knowns who Metallica is. But just wait 10 years where Metallica is prolly gonna be sh*t on like The Crue was this decade [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Coda (edited 05-02-2000).]
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 10:06 am    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

If Lars were a 16 year-old kid today, he'd be using Napster to scour for unavailable NWOBHM and Motorhead tracks like nobodies' business. Does he -- or any of the other Metallica guys -- really need MORE money? Back in the day, no one was a bigger tape trader than Lars. Napster simply uses modern technology to apply that idea. If anything, Napster and other mp3-type downloads allow a fan to discover new music. For instance, I had never heard Blind Guardian. I downloaded a few tracks and liked it enough to buy two of their albums. That's two sales Blind Guardian and Century Media Records made that, absent MP3, they would not have made. Same goes for lots of artists I've discovered. I think that essentially this boils down to the recording industry being -- as usual -- the last to embrace new technologies.

And as for the ruling against MP3, I'm sure it will be reversed on appeal, as are 50% of all decisions in technology cases.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 10:07 am    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

I don't see any difference between what people are doing now with the Napster/MP3 downloads than what I did with a cassette recorder and the radio back in the 80s.

I guess Metallica isn't making enough money these days.
Night-Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 12:00 pm    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

You're right Nitro, abuse of Napster will cost musicians money and I'd be pissed if it was me too, but I agree with DTFM. There are a heap of bands that I've found and enjoy due to Napster. Instead of a band name, type in a genre in the search field and watch the hits you get. I'll do this, type in, say, "metal" and download a heap of songs from guys I've never heard of, then delete the stuff that blows. The stuff I keep goes on my "CDs to Buy" list. I've never downloaded a Metallica tune so I guess I'm not one of Lars 300,000 new close personal friends. If my Napster access got blocked, I'd hit the more underground trading sites anyway.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 12:56 pm    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

"Hope taping is killing music"

Remember when that was printed on every record you bought?

I'm not a big fan of stealing stuff. If someone in a store forgets to charge me for something, I actually go back in and pay for it. Napster or not, people are going to steal music. Always have, always will. Admitedly, Napster makes that easier for some to do. Still, I'd like to think the vast majority of those 350,000 people downloading Metalli-tracks are not theifs, but rather are rabid fans who must have everything by the band they can get their hands on. They use Napster to get stuff they would not or could not buy.

Metallica has the list of names; why not go after those people individually? Of course, it would be too expensive and not practical. Well, if you are going after Napster for allegedly facilitating illegal activity, why not get the phone company too, since their lines were used? Better go afer the hardware companies, since their computers, sound cards and cdr's are used. Blank disc makers? Speaker company? How about Sony, since their disc players are probably used to replay stolen music. Kinda reminds me of the people who sue gun manufacturers because their gun was used in perpetration of a crime. Go after the instrumentality, rather than the criminal. And why? Because gun companies have more money than the crack addicts who commit crimes with their guns. Same reason Metallica sues Napster and not me -- it's all about MONEY. But then for Metallica, it has been for some time.
Motorola

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:12 pm    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

Had this been 1982, Lars would have begged to get his songs traded on Napster (had it existed). Actually, Lars has stated that the band got internationally known thanks to people copying the No Life Til Leather tape back in those days! Now, when he's a zillionaire, he thinks he's losing a lot of money from the trading.

Up and coming actors beg for publicity. When they're famous (the few fortunate ones), they hate publicity.

It's a package deal, they have to live with it!

I don't agree that artists lose money on home taping and trading on the 'net. Those records would never have been sold anyway. They should consider it free commercials.

I stopped buying Craptallica albums in 1991 anyway, and I'm not interested in downloading any of their recent junk.
Depp

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 2:50 pm    Post subject:  Metallica fingers 335,435 Napster users Reply with quote

It pathetic really. If the bands that sell just enough to make a living see this as a oppertunity to spread their music, how can metallica be against it ? They got more money than they will ever deserve, and now they just make ****ty music.

But napster kinda sucks anyway, IRC is the way to go for mp3. If you´re into that kinda thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: