HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SublimeSerpent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 11:55 pm    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

Let me just start this by saying that Metalfilm's post on the "Why doesn't metal get attention from mainstream media" thread was f'in beautiful!Damn,bro...That was some seriously enlightening shhit!
Anyway,that got me thinking about how unfair it is that MTV has this monopoly on music videos,since,if I'm not mistaken,they also own VH1.How the hell did this happen?
How come more music channels didn't get spawned when MTV got popular?Why don't we have music channels divided into different genres by now?
What if,before MTV,there had been only one company who controlled the programming for every radio station in every city,and every station played the same songs at the same time?Wouldn't someone,somewhere fight against them?
What other form of business competes with noone?
MTV has the power to set the next ten thousand trends because they have no competition!
I have to stop,this is making me sick!

P.S.:Unlike Metafilm,I'm prone to writing a stream of consiousness post every now and then.Sorry!

[This message has been edited by SublimeSerpent (edited 07-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SublimeSerpent (edited 07-14-2000).]
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 12:10 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

The MTV/VH1 situation is very similar to the UK - there are a handful of BBC radio stations, and then a bunch on tiny (really low power) "pirate" stations. That's it. The government there licenses/runs all "legal" radio & TV (except for satellite). Scary, huh?

There should be a handful of separate music video channels available in the US, but MTV beat back the would be competitors locking up "exclusive" deals with record companies so that only MTV could show the new videos!
If I remember right, those deals were later found to be illegal in court, but by then the damage was done! Most of those would-be competitors were gone.

[This message has been edited by B5ERIK (edited 07-14-2000).]
Kit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 3:19 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

BRITAIN IS A POLICE STATE!

It's actually not like that at all, B5ERIK. As far TV goes, on terrestrial we have the commercial channels ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Then we have BBC 1 and 2 (BBC=British Broadcasting Corporation), which are funded by the license fee everyone has to pay by law. The plus side of that is that they show a lot of good stuff and don't have any advertisements between programmes.

BBC Radio has five national networks (one each for youth music, middle aged music, classical, spoken word programmes and sports and news. There are also local BBC radio stations. There are several commercial national networks and each city has several commercial stations locally, one of which is usually more popular than the local BBC station.

None of the broadcasting services are run by the government and they're free to say what the like.

coldgin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 3:29 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

Hey, send your email to Ted Turner. He has the power to put on a Metal spot on TV if he thought it would draw ratings? It could work.
B5ERIK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 7:27 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

Kit - how many local stations? In the US there are around 30 or 40 local radio stations in each major city. How many local stations in London? Just curious. I always read that there are not nearly as many "official" licensed (BBC) stations in the UK as there are in most large US cities.

The MTV/VH1 lack of competition situation in the US sucks. I always thought that the only way to get a MetalTV video channel some major rock stars with $$ would have to start their own! Looks like I may have been right - no one else has been able (or willing to try) to get anything off the ground.
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 7:38 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

Music might be devided into differant genders soon what with the poison concerts and crue,sabboth,pantera concerts doing better than expected it's only a matter of time before someone wants to make money off of there videos.I have digital cable and there is a metal channel on it that play it all day and night,the only thing is it's not a video format it's more of a station.Keep a positive aditude and hope for the best.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 8:18 am    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

Hopefully the world wide web will bring us the power of a metal video channel. Didn't they test some kind of video player on Hard Radio. I couldn't get it to work. But me thinks this is the wave of the future.
brianscriv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 2:24 pm    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

There is another music station on TV. There is one called Much Music, which is on DirecTV and they show videos. I didnt catch it, but I remember hearing about a Fu Manchu special on it once. There is also a metal station on DirecTV, but doesn't show video, just audio. Its still a very cool station though, plays alot of underground stuff, especially from the stoner/doom scene which I like alot. Even plays the old classics like Budgie. Plays every genre of metal.
Hollywood Gal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 4:02 pm    Post subject: I Don't Mean To Go Off On A Rant Here... Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a band and I have been telling him that he needs to get his CD out to the DirectTV metal cable show. Does anybody here know anything about that? Do they have an address? Is direct TV the people who program it? I think this sounds interesting. Somebody needs to give MTV some competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: