HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I killed somebody once...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 7:51 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

What do you guys think of bands that pride themselves on their bad activities(drugs, groupies, killing people, etc). Are they cooler cause they actually know what they are talking about in their music, or are they dumber cause they are all just a show? I'm talking about Motley Crue, Marilyn Manson and others.
Peppermint Patty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:15 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

Coming from a "Mom's" point of view, I think it's juvenile and stupid.

But, it sure sells.
edis0n

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:38 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

I dont have a problem with it to a point. If every song on a album is about beating people up and drinking jack daniels while you got a needle in your arm after planning to destroy the world, it gets a bit tiresome. Though i dont think that its necessarily a show for the bands that actually lived it. Marilyn Mansons probably was rejected as kid form the so called "in crowd", and probably is just reacting with his music in a violent way cause hes pissed at the world. I think he has one of the best lines ever, "Theres no time to discriminate, hate every muthaf**ker thats in your way", and from everything that weve heard about the Crue over the years, they are some wlid boys. Granted there are some bands that are just a joke and try to build themselves up to be hard core and from the mean streets that are really just punks from the suburbs. Im too fried right now to think of any, but Im sure you guys know what I mean. If your a real badass then thats what youll sing about, it doesnt make you cooler or dumber for singing about. Its what you know. I have no problems with this as long as its real, if its fake then they probably wont be around too long anyway.

[This message has been edited by edis0n (edited 07-18-2000).]
DemonlyWizard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 8:43 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

Marilyn Manson and Motley Crue are like comparing apples and oranges. In the 80's, it was cool to sing about girls and partying. That is what pissed parents off. In the 90's in the ever so politically correct world, its cooler to do whatever it takes to piss parents off (be it singing about loving Satan or sticking a water bottle up your ass, ala Manson). Its all about publicity, and about selling records and selling out concerts. I just prefer the partying lifestyle to the Satan lifestyle.
Lockfist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 9:50 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

I think it goes with the overall culture of the times. The 80's were a "Decade of Decadence". The music reflected that sentiment. Bands like Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Van Halen flaunted the good times.

I dont know why, but it seems like the culture of the 90's was about disenchantment. Marilyn Manson is so derivative. Hell, all the bands today seem to rip off other artists and flaunt their disrespect.

I would say the earlier bands were more honest. Girls, Girls, Girls, Baby ! Korn is bitching about how pathetic they are while they're rakin cash. Hmm, now that I think of it maybe Kid Rock aint so bad. I mean, he's all about the good times and he gives respect to his influences. Thanks for clearing that up for me Jake !

HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:05 am    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

To each his own.
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 9:47 am    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

I think it depends on the context. When a band sings about partying, devil worship, or anything else, it may not be necessary, but it's just music. It's not necessarily synonymous with the behaviors or beliefs of the actual artist involved. (For example, as far as I know, Alice Cooper has never actually f*cked a corpse.) But when people start touting inappropriate behavior in interviews and articles and such, then it's a different story. I think that people see music as entertainment, but once you're offstage, people take you much more seriously. So in that sense, even if you do use drugs or worship the devil (in whom I don't believe anyway, but whatever,) it's not productive in any way to place these behaviors in a positive light, especially not outside of the studio or the stage.

Of course, there are always the stupid people who'll take whatever they come across as the gospel truth, but in my opinion, they're hopeless cases anyway.
Lockfist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 10:05 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

Why such a low profile Spirit ?

People are starting to ask questions.
Metal1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 11:27 pm    Post subject: I killed somebody once... Reply with quote

.....I once has to kill a man with his own shoes....but Ozzy got his M&M's and did a great gig...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: