HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTV Music Awards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Yod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 8:55 am    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

I guess I'm getting really old and completely losing touch with the music of today. Did you guys check out the winners of the MTV Awards? How sorry is this? Why don't they just rename the awards the BET awards.....no offense intended, but honestly what's with all this RAP???? Korn is the best rock video?? WHAT!! I'm just disgusted and sad......
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 10:25 am    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

I enjoyed watching it for the sole reason that it really underscored for me how (blissfully) out of touch I am with what's going on in "pop" music. I had no clue who any of these people were -- except for the old presenters they dragged up there. Did you notice most of them were drunk? Probably to kill the boredom . . .

nitro4040

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 10:33 am    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

I wrote a big long note about this only to loose it in cyberspace... oh well...

here goes the short version.. everytime i flipped over to mtv the were having a live performance of rap. I cna understand why they had all these presenters and performances cause that is the only thing they play when they do play videos, but I beg the point of why can't they devote 1 hour a week to something a bit barder. I was fully expecting to see Def Leppard, or Buck Cherry new videos on mtv this summer and did not see either once. That I do not understand. If they wont paly those bands we may never see anyone else, the likes of Iced Earth, nevermore, Grip inc, Dimmu, etc... Maybe some upstart station (HardRadio TV) will come on satalite or digital cable and take over the rock n roll world.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 3:10 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

Death,
Is it that rap/dance pop is what the people want to here or is it what the industry is force feeding us. Probably a combo of both.
What is more disheartening:
MTV not playing any rock/metal or your local rock station not playing the likes of new music from Iced Earth, MSG, BOC, Nazereth, Nevermore, Grip, or any others we hear here. As much as I like our local rock station, which dwindles with more and more listens, we only get Metallica, some Megadeth and thats it. Everything else is old or grunge related.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 3:58 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

Video Awards? Mtv plays videos?
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 4:43 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

In my experience, and at the risk of offending someone, the people who work at radio stations are dumber than wood and generally know very little about music.

It's an age old question -- do people listen to crap because that's what radio plays, or does radio play crap because that's what people want to hear. I think, sadly, it's the latter. Every time I come across a cool radio station that plays great music, it gets clobbered in the ratings and switches format. Usually to some form of Urban or Mexican music.

Thank god for HardRadio.
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 5:34 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

I think people(most people) even me or you guys at times im sure want to be into what is popular so they can discuss it and talk about it with friends. This can block out huge amounts of music though and at the same time their are many people that exaggerate this feeling of fitting in to the point that anything that doesnt fit in sucks. So mtv is one of those types of organizations. There really isnt anything wrong with them playing whats popular although its kindof superficial because they dont play stuff that isnt popular, but what is bad is that they trash on the 80s and other genres all the time. Theyll say they love a video one year and then two years later theyll hate it. Its really a station for kids is what id say about it. Kids dont have their own opinions about fitting in socially yet so they watch mtv(and 90210 as well) and they can have something to talk about.

What ****es me off about the whole thing is that people close their minds to all the other music just cause it isnt popular(or worse their is music that is "socially unacceptable). People im living with this year for instance drive me nuts cause they listen to the "socially acceptable" popular stuff and they love it cause its the great new hit, but then if i try to get them into something that isnt that much different musically they wont like it cause its not on mtv. Listen to Pearl Jam for instance; so much of it is riff rock(hence it is pretty much metal on those songs) but the people who listen to that or rage against the machine would never want to hear Judas Priest or Savatage or even Megadeth because they have kindof been "taught" to not like stuff that isnt popular. Im not even bashing the mtv bands for lack of talent although plenty of them are unoriginal and boring with silly lyrics that are meant for stupid singalongs, im talking about peoples attitudes towards metal and other music in general. people love anything pearl jam or bush does but if Megadeth or Savatage did the same cover or orchestra as good or better no one would care. so dont put it on mtv even though it is a piece of junk station, just attack the attitude and show people the foolishness in listening and looking for trends.
Nuchols

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 6:52 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

MTV (Moron Television). I hear that vitamin C comes out of your TV if you watch it alot. Korn? Best Rock Video? They must really suck if they have a rock video that gets played on MTV! That's like saying "Boy those girls in the Brownies sure are hot!" Someday, when we look back on all of the '90's, we'll laugh about it. So will all the heavy rock bands with the hair when CD sales are all tallied up. While we feed our dogs limp dog bizkits! MTV. Always sucked, always will.
EpicFNM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 9:50 pm    Post subject: MTV Music Awards Reply with quote

**** MTV and **** those tennybopper boy bands. The thing I love to watch is what rock band will be the trend for next year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: