HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The man with the Golden Otter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 8:11 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I think Black Sabbath is a great choice.They were the first to have dark words in the music.Plus they had the ozzfest thing and kind of brought back metal.

Oh Heather I like the dancing guy.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 10:32 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

I'm surprised at how many people in here -- like myself -- prefer the post-Ozzy Sabbath.

By the way, I'm just curious as a huge Iron Maiden fan. Maiden, obviously, are a huge band and are loved by all. But can you really see Maiden influences in a lot of bands who came after them? Do you guys see it?
Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 1:52 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

Black Sabbath is undoubtedly a good choice, and I think they'd be my first choice too, but I'd also like to put Motorhead in as a contender. Even though they haven't had the same broad influence like Sabbath, they've certainly influenced quite a lot of bands. And as for Motorheads sound, they too were quite original when they started out.

Nuchols

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 7:15 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

If it were not for Sabbath, Maiden and Metallica would be covering Motown singles and we'd all still be wearing bell bottoms. Sabbath started it all. There should be a shrine to them somewhere. We all have our dark periods, they had theirs, but the redeeming quality of Sabbath is that they appealed to some shadowy part of us in a way no one ever had before. That was cool.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 8:00 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

Yeah, I understand they influenced many. But I never thought they were that good. I mean they never really captured the emotion or discontent for their generation like Maiden, Metallica or even Kiss. Those groups have anthems that are etched in stone. Sabbath just feed the need to be shocked. But, I respect them.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 1:59 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

No arguments with Sabbath.

As far as Maiden goes, YES! Their influence has only BEGUN to be fully understood. All forms of metal with twin-g harmonies owe at least some due to Maiden. Priest reserved the twin leads to solos but Maiden took it out, front and center. The rest is history, still being recorded...
LEV1ATHAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 1999 2:16 am    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

If you have ever seen Sabbath live, especially with Ozzy, you may agree in my saying that they were a better "live act" than anything else. I bought Sabbath's albums as they came out over the years, and always found them to be missing something... Sabbath, no emotion?? I must disagree here. They had plenty of emotion, maybe not so much on the studio releases, but live they RULED imho. I agree with most people here that Sabbath is a good choice... they put the darkness in metal. And I remember watching them live... Ozzy sang and watched the audience intently, as if he really enjoyed seeing thier reactions... Man I wish I had a time machine [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

"then God made Black Sabbath, and there was darkness"
...(_E\/|/\TH/\N
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 8:54 pm    Post subject: The man with the Golden Otter Reply with quote

alright, I dont think any band really has come close to the originality and the influence of sabbath.

Deep Purple, Led Zepellin and maybe even Judas priest and AC/DC were original and influencial but to the extent of black sabbath....no.

Judas priest and iron maiden and motorhead have been hugely influential(i forgot how to spell so now im going to just spell the word a different way every time). but these bands were not as original in the first place: Judas Priest is Purple and Sabbath with some other stuff, Iron Maiden is Priest and Purple with some other stuff. Motorhead is older rock sound sped up really fast and dirty and heavy. it might have been more influential if it had come a while before.

Metallica while rocking and a great band, is not nearly as influential. You also have to consider what types of bands there were before and after the band. Metallica had plenty of hard and fast bands before it that would have eventually invented the style that metallica made at some point. what im saying is thrash i supposedly invented by metallica and slayer, but there was simalar stuff before them. priest was already doing speed metal althoug not on all their songs and same with accept and all the nwobhm bands that metallica ripped off. iron maiden may have done some cool things but deep purple and some other bands had already done what maiden does(although maybe not to the excellent extent that maiden did it).

Sabbath had little before it and even if it did it was like Deathtofalsemetal said they were obscure and so their influence i of course nothing overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: