HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What got you hooked on a particular band?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 6:52 pm    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

I know you all have favorite Metal bands, and my question is "What got you hooked on a certain band/bands (album, concert, brother, etc.)

Here's how I got hooked on Slayer and Iron Maiden:

I had never even heard of Slayer when Mtv had a show called the Heavy metal Half hour. The Intro to the show was actually the beginning of "Angel of Death" I heard that and I wondered "Who the hell is that? I've got to hear more!" The one day one of the v-jays said It was a band called Slayer ond their album was coming out the next month. I bought "Reign In Blood" the day it came out. It was like nothing I had ever heard before! I am still hooked on Slayer because of that album.

Iron Maiden was a little different for me. My brother had "Piece of mind" and I thought it was okay, but I never really appreciated Maiden until a few years later when I heard and saw "Wasted Years" on Mtv. I also bought "Somewhere in time" the day it came out and to this day that is still my favorite Maiden Album. I went back and bought all the old stuff and saw them on tour with Vinnie Vincent in 87' That show was awsome and I have since bought all their subsequent albums (with a few exceptions) and seen them 3 more times. They and Slayer are my all-time favorites for these reasons

So how bout' you all?
§omm§

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 7:10 pm    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

I know what you mean about Slayer's major label debut...that raised the standard for metal to a new level.

I happened to pick up soundgarden's BMF while I was stationed in the U.K. and I had never heard of them before then. After hearing track#4 on that CD, I was blown away! Once JCP was over, I just hit replay again and again and again...

Video for that tune ain't to shabby either (good enough to be banned by MTV at the time).

[url=http://209.166.168.20/soundgarden/multimedia/video/jcp.mpg] [img]http://209.166.168.20/soundgarden/images/inline/vid-jcp.gif[/img] [/url]

Batman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 7:15 pm    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

Funny you should mention "Jesus Christ Pose". After seeing the video on Mtv (Yes mtv used to show videos!) I went out and bought "Badmotorfinger" Great album! Later that summer I saw them with a little known (at the time) band called Pearl Jam!
§omm§

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 7:35 pm    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

*[i]still have the concert poster that show PJ opening for SG[/i]* 

SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 1999 7:40 pm    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

I didn't know a d*mn thing about Alice Cooper until I saw him on _Behind the Music_. I've been addicted ever since, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. ("Hi, my name is Spirit, and I'm a Coopaholic..." *laugh*)

Spirit
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 5:35 am    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

I got attracted to glam due to the image at first. Then it just seemed like fun music. As for bands like Cheap Trick, The Cure, and Prince a girl.
The Yod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 6:38 am    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

When I was 12 years old, I first heard "In the beginning.....Shout at the Devil" I thought it was the absolute coolest thing I had ever heard. That was it, they (Motley Crue) became the love of my life and have been ever since.

My dad was heavy into Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, etc. so he certainly helped me find my way to the better metal.
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 8:21 am    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

I guess I would have to say Iron Maiden for me because I love the Dark ages with all the castles and mistic doings which maiden put alot of in there music, so thats why I like them.Mabey Malmsteen too for the same reason.What can I say I'm a fool for the midevil times.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 1999 10:27 am    Post subject: What got you hooked on a particular band? Reply with quote

A girl I was hot after back in 6 or 7th grade was waaaay into this brand new British band called Iron Maiden who had just released their debut album. I bought it so she'd think I was cool. Who'd a thunk that would be the last girl I'd ever meet who liked Iron Maiden?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: