HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Internet destroy MTV
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 10:32 am    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

The internet killing anything all comes down to the age old "band width" debate. Unfortunately, we have super fast computers and servers, etc., but for the most part they are still connected by the technological equivalent of two cans and a piece of string. It's like having a Ferrari but being made to drive it on rutted out old dirt roads.

I realize cable modems and satallite modems are starting to erode this problem, but both are still costly and not available most places.

Once the band-width problem is fixed, I think that if you want to see a music video, you just call it up on line and watch it. With my PIII/450 and a 56K modem, the videos I download now look like crap for the most part. Very low resolution. And it's slow. MTV and VH-1 have cleverly evolved over the years into being just music oriented networks. The days of being the video jukebox are over. We'll tune into those networks for other stuff, like "Behind the Music" etc. But I can see them playing fewer and fewer videos.

As for the car, eventually your dashboard's going to be wired and hooked up via satellite so you're going to be able to punch up your HardRadio right there in your car. We're no longer going to be limited by the current audio spectrum. Broadcasting is going to become narrowcasting.

The days of being force-fed crap by corporate radio are numbered.

The days cd titles being out of print are also numbered, since labels no longer will need to produce physical copies and take on the cost of warehouseing and distributing them. You and I will just log on to a label's website, download that out of print Keel album (or whatever) for a fee, then burn a disc of it (or whatever medium).

It' gonna be fun to see how this thing plays itself out.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:07 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

Well yeah I know what you mean. But I guess the question is why isn't it here already? I mean they have a history channel, you can 20 HBO's and all that. Even as it stands it seems it would be cheaper do to a clip for an internet stream. Just seems like its not being taken to its full potential.

[This message has been edited by Fatalcharm (edited 09-15-1999).]
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:19 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

Yeah a few months back after watching the Angel and The Gambler video clip I went a looking for more videos. And I came upon these sites check em my peoples: [url=http://www.startingpage.com/html/music.html]http://www.startingpa ge.com/html/music.html[/url]

Vidnet is the best, but is slow at times due to traffic. Sonicnet is the fastest but probably doesn't have what you want to see. And it's blurry.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 3:00 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

Death hit most of the points I was trying to bring up. the reason it is not here yet is the bandwidth issue. Going cable or dsl is the answer but until we have fiber everywhere then you will still have bandwidth issues. I am not talkin about web tv, I am talking about some future cable/tv/web combo. This is coming. Hopefully it will come open as well and not too subscriber based. Meaning I will be able to pull up hardradio on my tv without having my att/tci subscription.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 3:12 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

I think the coolest part of the 'net is that it both expands the metal community and brings it together. In my town, I don't really know any other metal fans. Well, now I know you guys. We also don't have metal radio. Well, we do now because I can log onto hard radio. Basically, the internet has changed the mass media because it no longer has to be for the "masses." Issues of cost and access have been seriously lowered to where we can find lots of stuff catering to the hard cores like us. It doesn't have to just appeal to the lowest common denominator anymore. It's like a "fanzine" type mentality and format is swallowing up the networks.

The "meek" are in the process of inheriting the earth. Or at least the media.

Somewhere Marshall McLuhan is dancing a little jig.
Russ T Nail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:12 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

Death got most of what Id say is going to happen. TV / Phone / Email /Internet will converge. In ?10? years your computer monitor and TV screen will most likely be one and the same (probably flat panel LCD hung on the wall and 30" or so with a 16:9 ratio). Ive heard these new coppermine chips are nearly a computer revolution so your computer will most likely be EXTREMELY fast.

You would for example: Run the weather channel in a small window in 1 corner. Your stocks in a small ticker window. While you watch "Hard Video 6" (hard radios successor with multiple channels suited to your particular taste - hair bands, thrash, etc)in a bigger window taking up perhaps 80 percent of the screen. If a friend calls their pic and voice will come up on another pop-up window.

Music and video will continue to
balkanize into smaller areas. "metal" is really many types of music. There is 80s metal (Kix - Dont close your eyes is on my cd right now as a matter of fact), thrash, some say grunge, etc.

You can see the leading edge of it today. Hard Radio and the streaming video are the leading edges of it. Its low definition / low fi now but the potential market is nothing less than MASSIVE.

Scary thought to leave you all with. You are on your internet/cable video system (mentioned above) in the year 2010 and you are surfing past channel 987,456,145,874. three words. Barry Manilow Channel. (or "boy band channel") (or "white rapper channel") AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! ::runs away::
Not Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:21 pm    Post subject: Can the Internet destroy MTV Reply with quote

The internet destroying MTV? I hope so but, I thought MTV was doing a pretty good job destroying themselves!

C-YA
[img]http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Birdland/4870/pent_12_.gif[/ img]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: