HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tattoos
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 8:36 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

How may of you have Tattoos? what are they?
I am thinking of getting one this weekend.
Pros/cons. Heard that u can't get a MRI with the old style ink, due to it heating up and burning?!!?
10yearsgone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:25 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

Zombie, if you get a tat, make sure its something special that you will never regret...I've got the Zep swan song tattooed on my left shoulder, and I don't regret it one bit. I don't look at it as often now, but its still cool.

Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 10:54 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

2 tats for I Fatalcharm. 1 on my right bicep of a rose with a dagger running through it "Every rose has its thorn" it reads. Got it for the realization that my relationship with my x was done with. Another one of a skull on my left shoulder cap "Death is certain, life is not".

Yes make sure it means something to you. I think its wrong when kids out of school get tats. They just don't have any perspective yet and end up getting Winnie the poohs.
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 6:54 am    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

I mentioned before that I have over 20 tats. My right arm, chest and side is mostly skulls, demons, & vampire themed. The left side is a prehistoric "food chain" theme (kinda hard to explain). My advice?
1. Make sure you get something you want to live with for the rest of your life. (laser surgery is an option, but expensive!)
2. Try to find an artist if possible. Almost all of mine are my ideas and hand drawn by the artist. Nothing worse than picking a design off the wall that a 100 other people already have. Try to be original if you can.
3. I don't know about MRI's, but you can't give blood for a year afterwards.
4. Nobody I know has just one! "Theres always room for one more"! (I have "short sleeves" - solid from my elbows to around my neck on both sides, and then some)
5. And ya, it hurts! Some places more than others. The best description I can come up with is its like being snapped by a rubberband, over and over and over....
Oh, and Fatal's right-on about the "Winnie the Pooh" thing.
OverMuch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 10:21 am    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

I got three...a large rose on my left forearm, a cowskull wrapped in an arab headdress (see the back cover of D.A.D.'s "No Fuel Left for the Pilgrims") and a tribal scorpion/dragon/seahorse/facehugger thing on my right calf that is sooooo hard to describe, but looks waaaay cool.

My best friend is a tattoo artist, and I know quite a bit by association. It can hurt quite a bit depending where you get it. My bicep was partially done with a single needle and felt like a razor blade being dragged across my arm, but my forearm was mild in comparison, almost a pleasurable feeling. Imagine a vibrating stinging sensation...like your arm vibrating while someone's ripping a big bandaid off of your arm. That's about the best way to describe the pain.

As for subject matter...MAKE IT COUNT. Yeah, I have the D.A.D. skull on my arm, but I damn sure don't have the band name, because names and logos come and go. The skull looks fine on it's own, and I'm practically the only person who knows it's origin. But say I had gotten the Metallica logo around 1989 or so...I'd have that thing scraped out of my arm by now. :-)

Anyway, good luck, and post a pic of your new art!

P.S...MRI..I don't know about THAT...sounds a little farfetched...
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 10:42 am    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

I've got two -- both Asian-style dragons. A big one on the right arm; small one on the left. My advice is to get something timeless. How many idiots did I see in the 80s getting "Calvin and Hobbs"? Stupid. Also, think long and hard about it. I deliberated 2 or 3 months at least on each of mine. It should not be a spur of the moment thing. And go to various shops. See photos of the prior work of any artist you are considering. Watch them work. You should also consider where you put it. Do you want something on your fore-arm where it's always visible? If you take care in chosing it, you wont regret it. I love mine and plan on getting more.

And as for what it feels like, my large one has lots of black line detail. It basically felt like what it is -- someone carving a picture into your skin with a needle. It hurt like unholy hell.
Fatalcharm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:01 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

WARNING: TATOO'S ARE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE.

It is so hard for me to walk into a parlour and leave without getting one.
Not Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 6:01 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

The plane boss the plane...........oops sorry wrong tattoo.

C-YA
[img]http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Birdland/4870/pent_12_.gif[/ img]
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 7:01 pm    Post subject: Tattoos Reply with quote

I don't have any tattoos, nor do I intend to get any, but I do know a few random tidbits about placement and pain issues. (These are courtesy of an acquaintance of mine who has several tattoos.)

-- The closer to the bone that the skin you want tattooed is, the more it will hurt. So if you want a minimum of pain, get the tattoo done on a fleshy area, like your bicep or your arse.
-- It's best to get the tattoo in an area that you can cover up, should you want or need to.
-- The simpler the tattoo, the harder it is for the artist to screw it up.
-- Tattoos usually fade at least a little bit, so you may have to get it touched up a few times.
-- If you care about what your tattoo will look like when you're old, don't get it in an area where the skin is likely to undergo drastic changes.

Just food for thought...

Spirit

[This message has been edited by SpiritOnParole (edited 09-15-1999).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: