HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food For Thought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 3:53 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

My $0.02:

The Holocaust and the Spanish Inquisition were influential, too; just because something is influential doesn't mean that it's necessarily "good." Of course there are those who enjoy the music of Limp Bizkit and think that our music is cr*p. My theory, with a little help from Isaac Newton, is this: For every trend, an opposite one will arise. In the hard rock and metal kingdom, we're seeing a lot of bands who go the melodic route (Iced Earth, PC69, Ozzy, Nevermore, etc.) Bands like Limp Bizkit are reacting to that trend by doing the opposite; in doing so, they call attention to themselves. Some think their music is innovative and brilliant; many think it's the worst thing since the Chernobyl fiasco. As long as trends exist, people will do the exact opposite to get attention and attract followers...but that sure doesn't mean that we have to like their product.

Spirit
Night-Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 6:07 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

Amen, Spirit. Many also lose sight of the fact that the media shapes and creates trends just by labeling and writing about different styles of music. The "next big thing" has always been and will always be whatever some staff writer decides to talk about tomorrow. Attention begets more attention. Fortunately some of us don't live and die by musical trends. Some musicians have learned that there is no such thing as 'bad publicity.' Take Mar1lyn Man5on for example. He hasn't done anything that Alice Cooper didn't do in the seventies, but the media has helped him become a star. Then there's my favorite pet hate doll, Courtney Love. As a musician myself, it can be very frustrating to see people like her with so little talent become mega-stars while there are true artists that can't get a record produced. (Sorry if I'm annoying any Hole fans.....call me bitter that I can sing and play circles around Ms. Love and I play in bars.) The media was all over her simply because of Kurt. Hell, for the fame and success she's gotten, I would've married him.......(well, maybe on second thought....)

Limp Bizkit may go down in the books as "influential" or whatever, personally, I say they're the flavor of the day.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 10:55 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

As Helloween would say:

Once the singer sang about bull****
and everyone could see him fall
and be sure it's been his last hit
he's never be see at all.

close your eyes and tap your heels together and say" make them go away" 3 times Hell it worked for Dorothy.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 11:04 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

Here's something to chew on as we get close to Friday (thank god).

This from my local newspaper today (the Portland Oregonian) concerning everyone's favorite Limp Bizkit:

"Limp Bizkit is crafting a likely blueprint for popular music as we careen into the new millenium."

. . .

"Limp Bizkit's influence, while not the first shot in the rap-metal revolution, is the most successful. Perhaps few realize it now, but "Significant Other" may come to be regarded as a musical touchstone as important as Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" or Nirvana's "Nevermind.""
Paul G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 5:55 am    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

Nightbreed - a quick ? when did talent (exclusively) in the music/film industry ever equate to success. I actually like Hole despite Courtney's antics and yes I'm sure you can play circles around her but this also means that you can probably play circles around the original KISS also. Courtney like KISS and many many others know what they want ie: $$$$$/fame/adulation - they just figured out which buttons to push, also marketing plays a HUGE role in the success of any band on a major label.
Night-Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 7:35 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

Paul, Please don't misunderstand my frustration. Of course you're totally right about Courtney and Kiss and people like them. Talent basically has nothing to do with success. It's all promotion and hype. I guess I'm just beating the old, "there's no justice in this world" drum. Oddly enough, I'm a huge Kiss fan even though, yes, I can play circles around them. Actually my band plays a couple of Kiss tunes. So how can I love Kiss even though I realise that they're light in the talent department and still rip on Courtney? Hmmm.....not sure what to say about that one. I think it's because of this perception I have that she's where she is because of who she slept with whereas Kiss actually slugged it out in the bars and nightclubs like I do. Granted they understand hype and promo like nobody else but at least they went through the dues paying era, living on bologne and hand sandwiches. I don't know much about Limp Bizkit except what the radio plays. I'm just really tired of hearing that the band blah-blah-blah are the "next Beatles."

Someday I really need to learn to stop rambling.
OverMuch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 1999 7:16 am    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

Just a word in defense of Courtney...well, not really....

I kinda like Hole. Yeah, not overflowing with structured composition, but fun to listen to. She was actually slugging it out in the club scene for quite a while, busted a lot of azz up and down the west coast to build a fan base.

All of this is moot, though, I agree. Nobody outside of the Pacific Northwest had ever heard of Hole until she took a hubby. Any chance you can marry into money, Night-Breed? :-)
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 1999 12:03 pm    Post subject: Food For Thought Reply with quote

I'm a cowboy, baby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: