HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what selling out is and isn't
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misticmyst73

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 7:00 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I thought I was reading a Metallica artical for a minute,I had to go back to artist discution to be sure.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 7:28 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Selling out is like old coke and new coke - old metallica and new metallica. sometimes it's a good idea and sometimes it sucks and always it's a money thing!
Budgie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 8:57 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I'm not lars. Heather you need to read my post again. Obviously you didn't get the point. Metallica had plenty of money. They didn't have to change. They did so to make their music interesting to them again. Do you even think they might have gotten bored with what they were doing after 15 years? It's a terrible world we live in where people can't get make a change to their lifestyle or music without being insulted and called sell outs. I didn't write this post based on thinking of metallica. But their a good example of a band who HASN'T sold out that people like to say they have. Hell metallica wasn't even under contract by the record companies to put out another album. They did it for the fun of it. There's a saying in the music intustry, and thats "i can't wait till people call me a sell out, that means i've achieved success." You kids really need to understand what selling out is. Which is why i wrote the original post here. These things are not to be debated. These are fact.

Budgie the Brain
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 9:45 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Again, Hail the all knowledgable Budgie.... And watch who you call a kid, punk! I was seeing Metallica when you were bareley out of diapers, but i digress. I actually agree with you on some points, but young man, everything is debatable, especially on here, that is what makes it fun. I don't want to start a Metallica debate, but I don't think they "sold-out" either. I want you to store your sell-out message in a bottle and come back in 10 years and see what a pile of crap it is...I mean what the F is the difference between making music you want and appearing in a Coke commercial. If I want to appear in a Coke commercial, and the powers that be want me to be there, then why not? I like Coke, I drink it, why not make money off it?
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 9:50 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

and where did metallica get most of their money from? selling out - no big deal. labels like to see a return on their investment so they pair artists with producers who help them make money (sell out). personally - i like old metallica and i value artistic integrity. IMO selling out = making money. i guess my definition of selling out is different from yours Budgie. no big deal - have a coke and a smile . . .

[This message has been edited by HeatherMetal (edited 10-06-1999).]

[This message has been edited by HeatherMetal (edited 10-06-1999).]
OverMuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 10:56 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Kids? KIDS? Son, I was in the pit when you were dreaming about fingering Mary Jane Rottencrotch behind the general store.

Ya know what? I heard Crazy Train in a car commercial the other day. Do I think Ozzy sold out? Hell no. Ozzy's music has changed dramatically over the years, but I know that when a new disc comes out, I'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Now, to completely turn your back on your primary fan base and completely and totally change your direction, while blantantly, OPENLY insulting your oldest fans, well, bucky, that's selling out in its truest form, IMO.

note that.......---> IMO <---

I don't state the above as fact, and I wouldn't have the gall to do so.
Budgie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 12:32 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I'd just like to say i'm not as extreme in my opinions as i may seem. I tend to write from a very charged opinionated point of view. I do what i can to seem harsh and very into my own ideas. This breeds good discussion in my opinion. As far as the 'kids' comment was concerned i just wanted to see who i was dealing with here [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Don't let anything i say even to you personally(whoever it may be) overly offend you, but do let it make you think and respond. Wether it be for or against, Or just to tell me i'm being an idiot. I can handle being called an idiot. But pleas ehave good eplanation for any insults you may throw my way. And heather i absolutly respect that your idea of selling out and mine are different. *pops open a coke, drinks, and smiles* *puts on a budgie album*

Budgie the Brain [url=http://www.latenet.com]www.latenet.com[/url]

[This message has been edited by Budgie (edited 10-06-1999).]
nitro4040

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 12:50 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Budgie,
Glad you can take it and dish it out. Makes for good conversation. Keep it up.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 1:05 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Yeah, Budgie. No hard feelings at all. I took nothing personal. I'm glad you took the time to explain yourself. The topic of "sell out" has been an active one here. Welcome and stick around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: