HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what selling out is and isn't
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 3:14 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

With over 20 + yrs of rock'n'roll behind me (man that doesn't sound too good), my honest opinion on what constitutes a sellout.

Changing your sound in order to fit in with the current trend and basically forgetting to work under your own agenda and style. In other words you lose your balls and guts to do it your way and you find the easy solution. Granted record companies are guilty of forcing some bands to mold their styles to suit what's popular and in most cases bands have little say in the matter but still.....

Some guilty parties:

KISS: from Dynasty forward, they started hopping from trend to trend with only the occasional return to the true KISS style.

Machine Head: a blatant attempt to latch on to the current KORN craze. SAD.

Megadeth: Same thing although not as blatant, they've dumbed it down considerably.

Aerosmith: lost the plot - Diane Warren ballads have ruined this band, enough of that crap give me more Rocks/Pump style rock n roll.

Metallica: they didn't conform to current market trends, a lot of us may hate their current style but at least they never hopped unto the metal/rap bandwagon. Hence not a sellout but a re-formulation.

Paul G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 3:15 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

With over 20 + yrs of rock'n'roll behind me (man that doesn't sound too good), my honest opinion on what constitutes a sellout.

Changing your sound in order to fit in with the current trend and basically forgetting to work under your own agenda and style. In other words you lose your balls and guts to do it your way and you find the easy solution. Granted record companies are guilty of forcing some bands to mold their styles to suit what's popular and in most cases bands have little say in the matter but still.....

Some guilty parties:

KISS: from Dynasty forward, they started hopping from trend to trend with only the occasional return to the true KISS style.

Machine Head: a blatant attempt to latch on to the current KORN craze. SAD.

Megadeth: Same thing although not as blatant, they've dumbed it down considerably.

Aerosmith: lost the plot - Diane Warren ballads have ruined this band, enough of that crap give me more Rocks/Pump style rock n roll.

Metallica: they didn't conform to current market trends, a lot of us may hate their current style but at least they never hopped unto the metal/rap bandwagon. Hence not a sellout but a re-formulation.

OverMuch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 3:24 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Wow, Budgie, I'm impressed with your ability to stir up a hornets nest, then sit back and take the criticism. Not too many people have that objectivity. Welcome to the board.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 3:56 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I agree with you, Paul G., both in the way you define "sell out" as well as in the examples you give. Although, got to admit that one of my favorite Kiss records of all time is "Creatures of the Night."
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 4:28 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I have to agree with Paul too. Has anybody got to hear ZZ Top "rap" on their new cd yet? Oy Vay!

(BTW Budgie-I'm an oldtimer too. I don't think kids listen to metal, do they?)
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 5:07 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

In my opinion, selling out is abandoning your artistic vision for the sake of making money or gaining prestige -- whether or not doing so makes you qualify as "mainstream."

Spirit

[img]http://www.alicecoopershow.com/images/atticani.gif[/img]
EpicFNM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 8:13 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

This arguement is old and tiring. I will just say that I do agree with Budgie. I thought he made lots of good points.
QuantumRocker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 8:40 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather hear some kick-ass METAL on a commercial than some cheesy bubble-gum tune or annoying lame synth mix. Lets face it whenever you turn on the TV, your saturated with a bunch of crap. I usually keep my finger close to the mute button for those all-too frequent occasions, but of course don't make it all the time because life is after all, a multitasking frenzy at times.

When this happens and I am forced to listen to Van Halen or Ozzy, then I'm not going to whine about it. Besides, If you've got it, flaunt it if it's tasteful, Although I do agree with some of the rest of the "sell out" items from Budgie and Paul.

By the way, am I the only person that actually liked the "new" Coke?

[This message has been edited by QuantumRocker (edited 10-07-1999).]
Budgie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 9:35 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I liked the new coke to! But i still liked the old metallica...errrrrrr i mean coke better.

Thanks for the welcome to the board everyone. I must admit i haven't kept up with metal much in the last few years. I still pretty much stick to my old favorites. But hell, who knows, perhaps that will change. Hehehe. Anyway you guys rock. I just wanted to let you guys know. My roomate and i do an internet radio show 4 nights a week, we don't talk about metal neccesarily, but you may find us interesting. I invite you to visit my website at [url=http://www.latenet.com]www.latenet.com[/url] .Ok enough shameless plugging of my website. You folks have been great on this topic. Perhaps i'll come up with something else interesting in the next coupla days. Or maybe i'll just comment on yours. Either way thanks for the feedback. I'm here to stay for a while.

Budgie the Brain [url=http://www.latenet.com]www.latenet.com[/url]

[This message has been edited by Budgie (edited 10-06-1999).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: