HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what selling out is and isn't
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EXCITER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 1999 11:11 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

As you all know, I'm a huge KISS fan. Believe it or not, I think they "Sold Out". They are doing everything today that in the past said they would never do, and it's all for the money. Am I ****ed or disgruntled? Yes and no. I still buy their recent "crap", even some of their merchandising. But hey, there ARE other bands out there to listen to. So, I do. I agree with a lot of Bungie's points, as well as Nitro's and others. But....why debate it so heavily? One of the most popular phrases of this millenium is "SH IT happens" isn't it? Come on now, some recent Metallica stuff is decent despite their change of direction. One of my favorites being "Fuel". As long as they appeal to someone and we all have the power of choice and selection....what the hey!

EXCITER
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 5:32 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I have to agree with you Death that "Creatures" ROCKS. I'd also have to say that Lick it UP had some great moments as well as Revenge and Carnival of Souls (even though COS was a blatant attempt to mimic Alice in Chains there was a feel that reminded me of Hotter than Hell in some ways, could be Childhood's End).
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 12:34 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

In regard to selling out i think Paul summed it up pretty well but i think besides selling out the thing that is maybe even more annoying is the way the "musicians" lie about their new material. Metallica if nothing else is guilty of this. I dont believe they sold out, but to say theynever were metal is just so friggin ridiculous and cant possibly help metal. It was ok when they were different metal but considered metal because then they get the attention of new fans to metal, but now they only acknowledge the most socially acceptable bands as influence. For instance it used to be: Diamond Head, Misfits, Motorhead, Sabbath. Now its the well known bands that people can blast out the window and still be "normal" as in: van halen, ac/dc, aerosmith and a bunch of other more mtv compatable bands. also using the word hard rock to describe ones music gives me the impression that a band wants to appear more mainstream, because i think its the same as metal but just a more socially acceptable term.

Oh yeah, but Megadeth does seem kindof like a sell out now since they are suddenly half industrial and half radio rock, when only 2 years ago they were regular 90s megadeth. im not going to complain because there is still some decent material on it, but it is upsetting.
THUMPER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 1999 10:43 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I agree with the earlier post about Metallica selling out by turning their backs on their (ex) hardcore fans. If it weren't for us, there wouldn't have been anymore albums after the first. If we hadn't supported them then, they would've vanished into oblivion just like hundreds of other bands that don't make it. And now, to see them acting so arrogantly toward us really makes me want to stay away from ANYTHING they produce in the future. If they don't appreciate my support, then they won't get it. Oh yeah, Lars, if you're reading this, shut up you fat toad. You really aren't that good. If Hetfield ever goes solo, you're all screwed!
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 10:41 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

You're killing me Thumper.

Lars, what was "Metal Militia"? Was it a song about steel workers? Never be ashamed of your past because it will always be part of who you are. Imagine Kiss circa "Lick It Up" arguing, "We never really wore much make-up." Ha!!!
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 6:42 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I need some help here. Does anyone have the EXACT source where Lars is quoted as saying the "not metal" thing? I need to be sure he did, indeed, say it.
Coda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 8:26 pm    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

I've seen a clip from on muchmusic a few years ago from when Load was pretty new and members of Metallica said something like "I don't thin kwe can be classified as a heavy metal band anymore"
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 8:19 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Im confused I always thought the definition of sellout was:

Sellout - Metallica. See also Lars Ulrich. Synonym's: LOAD, RELOAD, James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich.
HeatherMetal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 8:41 am    Post subject: what selling out is and isn't Reply with quote

Sellouts ignore the old saying - don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: