HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitro4040

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 4:31 pm    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

Ok, here it goes.. I have recovered from my heat exhaustion and ready to give a quick review..

You will be as sad as I when I say I missed Loudmouth. They were changing bands so fast at this concert you barely had time to to take a leak. Got to the parkin lot when DDT was playing and by the time I got my **** together, trying to sell an extra ticket, and got in they had finished their 20 minute set. From what I could hear, they sounded pretty damn good. Ok, so much for that. This Day on the Green was held at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds in San Jose. It was freakin HOT! And there was no green. Just dirt and a tarp. No shade. No place to sit except on tent way in the back with some picnic tables.

concert started about 11:30 and by the time Sprung Monkey came on it was heating up good. Sprung Monkey played a pretty good 30 - 40 minute set. I would see these guys again, and may buy one of their albums, not too bad.

Next came Machine Head, they pleyed a good set of hard thrash-punk-metal with good energy. Not necessarily my cup of tea these days but they sounded pretty good.

next up was Sevendust. Well, yo, whats up, yo, how yo all doing. If you have seen them and heard the singer talk then you know what I am talkin about. I was not impressed. They had a couple songs that were ok or had some potential but their lack of talent sorta drowned that out. Also, the fact that it was now about 150 degrees out didn't help matters...

Next up, Megadeth! Because of the damn curfew/screwed up ordinance they were putting the bands on and off fairly quick. Megadeth only got to play for an hour or so. They put on a good set. Lots of thrashing, killer guitar work, wish they would have played longer. songs I remember, crush em (much tollerable live), trust, peace sells, anarchy, another from cryptic that I forget the name and a couple others who names escape me. Wanted to hear a few more from Peace Sells, but oh well...

Hagar came on shortly there after and played a solid set that included rock candy, 3 lock box, i've done everything, a van halen song or 2, couple new ones, marching to mars, and whole lotta love, played for about an hour and a half. Hagar had scantily clad strippers/models come out between songs to give the band drinks and a bunch of contest winners got to watch from stairs behind the band.

Highlights - Sprung, Megadeth, Hagar, Stripper dunking booth, women with little clothing, women showing their breasts onstage and off and a good time for only $25 (even better since I got mine for free). Oh yeah, and people smoking week everywhere, you would have thought it was a ganja fest or something.

Lowlights - Short sets by bands, tho Sevendust could have played less. Too freaking hot! Only budweiser being sold. Or and get this, you had to buy tickets to get food or drink. They sold 9 tickets for $5. A beer cost 10 tickets! and a coke 5. so if you wanted 1 beer or 2 cokes you had to buy 18 tickets regardless. What a joke.

Overall it was a good show and a good time. Hope they have more, but hope they find a better place. give me a grandstand to sit in or a tree to passout under please!

Next up, dokken/great white at the Edge.
freeride

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 9:41 am    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

They "only" sold Budweiser? They make other kinds of beer?
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 9:49 am    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

Thanks Nitro. I'm, er, sorry I missed it. Oppressive heat and promoters ripping you off for food and drink. Damn, I miss the bay area!

In a nostalgic mood, I was thinking of checking out Geezerpalooza up here -- Dokken and Great White (with the reformed WILD DOGS Opening!!!!) But then I remembered all the god awful times I sat through those two bands back in their primes when they seemed to open for everyone (especially Dokken). At their best neither was very good live -- Dokken being the worst offender. Suddenly the rose-colored glasses cleared . . .

Standard disclaimer: If you like Dokken, god bless you. They're ok on record, but I've seen them live at least 7 or 8 times, and they were/are a really, really awful live band. However, this in no way should impede your ability to enjoy the aforementioned old timers in any manner whatsoever. I guess 50 year olds in spandex are still believable to some. Peace.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 1:08 pm    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

Freeride, I know you're joking about Budweiser. I mean, Budweiser is at best a malt flavored beverage, not beer. By definition beer does not contain fillers like corn or rice (only malt, hops, yeast and water). Bud, like all lawnmower beer, is made with the objective of removing as much taste as possible. Why making something tasteless is desireable is beyond me. To stay on topic (or something), it's the Dokken of the beverage world -- a watered down version of the real thing.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 1:17 pm    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

Anamal:

Yeah, Wild Dogs are tempting. Wild Dogs main guy Matt McCort hosts a pretty funny metal video show here on cable. Amongst it's regulars are a talking hand puppet and a guy in a chicken suit. I guess in light of the reissue of the band's catalog, they're gonna do some dates. He's got a guy from Malice on drums and the guitarist is from Matt's other band, Dr. Mastermind. I'll probably wait for a headlining show here.

Fun fact: Both Jamie St. James and Pete Holms of Black n Blue played drums in Wild Dogs prior to Deen Castronovo.
anamal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 1999 11:26 pm    Post subject: Day on the Frying Pan, I mean Green Review Reply with quote

DTFM,dont you think WILD DOGS would be worth the price of admission alone, ???????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: