HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new stuff!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anamal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 4:24 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Todays mail had in it..
Every mothers nightmare/smokin delta voodoo
without love/trouble
rainlord/ignitor
white widow/turn it up
hard rain/
unrest/watch out
westworld/
tourniquet/microscopic view of a telescopic realm
renegade/3........
any bodys opinions would be welcomed...
Bill_amcns

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 4:58 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Ive never heard ANY of that.

Let me know if you think any of them are really worth checking out.
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 5:46 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

ALL those bands are great!!

Westworld - Hard Rain - Every Mother's Nightmare - Renegade - Tourniquet

Hell yeah i dig all those bands. If there's any of em you don't want - i'll buy em!!

ROCK ON!
MetalliTone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 7:17 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Over the past few weeks I got:

Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Kreator - Endorama
Helloween - The Best The Rest The Rare
In Flames - Colony
zombie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Hey anamal,
Long time no see.

later
anamal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Zombie, nice to see a pleasant face like yours is still hanging around here,do you know where Deathtofalsemetal,ripperjack,nightbreed are posting now, I miss those guys...
Crusader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 5:50 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Good seein' ya here again Anamal! Been quite a while since you posted here. What have you been up to?

I've heard one song by Rainlord, "First Love". I think it's quite ok. Is it comparable to their other songs?
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2001 11:07 pm    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

ok i just got a ton of stuff at the used record store the other day. now im finished listening to everything so i think i can review. for $19.03 i got 2 playstation games(Kings Field, Gameday 95) which i wont review here cause they are off topic although i can say that i enjoy them. 9 records, and 2 cds.
vinyl:

Journey: Escape. I've heard these guys were good,and the album had a cool cover(plus it was 10 cents for the album) so i bought it. well i cant say i wasted my money. I actually find myself distanced to some of the material by its age, but i still like alot of stuff on here. Not my type of thing, but for AOR or whatever the hell you call this stuff, its pretty damn good. (7.5).

Molly Hatchet: Beatin the Odds. I don't really dig this album. its got some decent grooves and riffs and stuff, but it sounds dated. And nothing really rocks. I'm new to this band, but ive been checking them out cause their cds are both cheap and the first one i bought from them(the deed is done) was fairly decent. (6.5).

Black 'n Blue: Without Love. I'm almost certain i heard something good about this group on here or the hardboard. At any rate it was 10 cents so i couldnt really lose with that kind of deal. Truthfully i think this album is right about average glam metal. nothing real great or awful. (5).

Jethro Tull: Aqualung. As i looked through the records i found this one and realized i hadnt ever checked this group out. It is kindof dated in some ways, but the songs are good and so is the flute. I never knew that Cross Eyed Mary was a Tull song. this one was 50 cents, but it seems like a pretty good album. (8).

Lita Ford: Dancin' on the Edge. 10 cents. I'm sorry if i list off the prices, but it could be forseeable that the deals that i had on these things makes me more lenient on rating some of them. No i dont really think so actually. This album is pretty good for a chick metal band. Lita certainly rocks that much is for sure. I might even buy some more of her stuff at a steeper price now. (ive seen some of her cds going for 2.50). Not at all a bad album. Nothing groundbreaking either though. between a (7.5) and an (8).

triumph: Just a game. so i heard this band was decent(again it was probably on this board), so i decided to check them out. I definitely think this album was worth the 10 cents i paid for it. It is also the worst triumph album i bought though. its hardrocking but its pretty cheesy. highlight is rik emmetts guitar playing. maybe not groundbreaking, but something about it reaches out. (7).

Triumph: Allied Forces. A little better than just a game. I actually almost bought this one cause i thought the cover would look cool on my wall. same hardrocking stuff with good leads. (7.5).

Triumph: Never Surrender. Better than the other two albums from Triumph that i bought, but still not excellent. Id say all their albums rock, and Rik Emmett plays especially well on this album, but nothing seems particulary great about this band. I think it must be one of those "you had to be there at the time" type of things. still it is solid. (7.5).

Steelheart: well there are some cool intros and i kept thinking this album would go somewhere cool. But i really think these guys are just over average hardrock/glam. Some pretty cool riffs are wasted as intros as the band then goes to wussier stuff during the actual song. Kindof reminds me of Death and Progress by Diamondhead(although Diamondhead's album came later and was a little better). anyways the real questions are: is the executive producer the same Bruce Dickinson as the one in Iron Maiden? and if so, what the hell is he doing producing Steelheart, and couldnt he have made them any better? at any rate this stuff is maybe a little better than the poison album that came out at the same time as it did. (6).

Iron Maiden: Virtual XI. Ok so Blaze was in the band for this album. I now understand why people don't like Blaze(cause i hadnt heard him before and i still don't have Xfactor), but honestly i just think he was in the wrong band. I can totally see him in a more classic rock band,like uh well i could see him in Rainbow almost. He's got more of that kind of voice. Maybe he would still look bad, what with Rainbow's history of great singers, but i think he would sound better with a group like Rainbow or Vanhalen. Now back to the album. The weaknesses are only in songwriting and lyrics. I actually like some of the songs. Angel and the Gambler sucks, but Futureal is cool, and so are the clansman and Lightning Strikes twice. I'd say this album is a fair amount better than the later Bruce Dickinson albums(No Prayer for the Dying is far worse), and i dont mind having it in my collection. the enhanced portion of the cd is pretty lame though. nothing really interesting. rating (7.5, which to me means solid).

and here is a list of what i got for Christmas:

I got the following for Christmas(well actually i bought the Molly Hatchet recently):
Molly Hatchet: The Deed is Done. I bought this one cause it was cheap and id never heard molly hatchet before. Good old fashioned rock and rolling metal. the first half of the album is good and the second half is only soso therefor, i think they must have a good album somewhere in their career, but this one is not a great one. It is still worth owning if you really dig this type of thing. rating (7.5)

Joe Satriani: Time Machine. i havent listened to it alot yet, but it doesnt seem that good to me. the reason is that while alot of it is like the older stuff, the end of the album has tons of weird experiment bull**** that just carries on and on and really doesnt interest me. The Woodstock Jam in particular(16 minutes of different guitar effects. it really just sounds like it does when a band doesnt unplug after a show and the buzz is just constantly going). Still it's Satch, and Satch can only sink so low. rating (7.5)

Def Leppard: Pyromania. Man does this album blow! no really it isnt that bad, but i really thought it would be better. After all, I like hysteria(which is even more commercial) and the best Def Leppard album came right before this(high n dry) so i figured this one would rock too. I mean i even really like Photograph(and most people hate it), but the album is pretty lame. lyrics are awful, joe elliots voice annoys me on this one, and the production doesn't sit with me for some reason. Maybe it's all phil collin's fault. Anyways it might be worth it if you are a def leppard freak, but otherwise it would have been better to simply have purchased the photograph single. rating: (6.5)

Accept: Im a rebel. I can't really say much about it. All i know is i asked for it, because i wanted to complete my Accept collection(i still need objection overruled, death row, predator, and the self titled though). I expected the album to suck, but i actually kind of like it. It isn't very heavy. It sounds like a radio station might let them play it. and udo's voice is actually good at times when he sings. No standout tracks though is the only problem. worst Accept ive heard, but still cool. rating: (7).

Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell. Truthfully im disappointed in this one. Sabbath used to have some more groove than on this one. Also Dio didn't impress me as much as he did on the Rainbow albums. I have also heard this album described as the 80s metal sound. but i dont think it meets that description. Still despite disapointment, this album is still good and children of the sea and the title track are the types of songs that i would refer to as classics. rating: (8)

Savatage: The Dungeons are Calling. Since i got this as well as power of night and fight for the rock, i now have all savatage albums. This album is pretty cool with Midas Knight being the coolest, and the title track also being pretty damn awesome. Not very long, but lots of cool riffs and solos. Sirens and Power of Night are a little better. rating (8).

Savatage: Power of Night. razor riffs and screaming seem to be the concept of this album. Pretty damn awesome if you ask me. This is probably one of the most rocking albums by Savatage(tied with Sirens and maybe Mountain King) no real emotional ballady types of songs(which with savatage i do like those types of songs alot), but still a good album. rating: (8.5)

Savatage: Fight for the Rock. The razor riffs are still there, but the themes are lamer more tame for radio type of stuff. Fight for the rock is the most obvious in this regard, but crying for love and "shes only rock and roll" also have pretty average 80s pop metal lyrics. The songs are a little lighter, but still good. for some reason the album has a parental advisory sticker on it. Now i could understand a sticker like that on the previous album(power of night has the songs necrophilia and skull session, which sound ****ed up even to me and im not even a real pro-censorship type of guy), but this album doesnt have those types of names to its songs and neither of the albums printed the lyrics in the booklet so... anyways its still a worthwhile album if you are into Savatage. Rating: (7.5).

Opeth: My Arms, Your Hearse. Wow! Amazing. I'm definitely adding this to the list of albums that just blew me away. And also its one of the few albums that has done so in the latter half of the 90s(alongside Arch Enemy's Burning Bridges). Death Metal with melody and complicated background music. Some melodic vocals even. The lyrics don't seem bad either from what ive seen in the booklet. The coolest thing about the album is that while the album sets a definite mood, the songs still are cool on their own merit(as opposed to Emperor which definitely sets a certain mood and thats cool, but i dont like their songs as much individually). I kindof wish the melodic, but forboding, singer would sing the whole thing, because it sounds different enough from anything else ive heard with just that voice, but the death metal vocals are still acceptable. I don't know this album is just plain awesome. And im usually pretty critical of stuff, but this album just doesn't deserve criticism as far as i can see. Maybe there is some hidden satanic message in here that just has hypnotized me into liking it so much, but i dont recall anything about satanism in the lyrics at all(which in my opinion is also a plus). If don't mind deathmetal vocals this should be in your collection now! rating: (10)(best album ive heard from last 5 years)

MarillionFan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2001 5:38 am    Post subject: new stuff!! Reply with quote

Of course i rate the Triumph and Steelheart and Def Leppard MUCH higher but that's me. That dude in Steelheart + Rik Emmett are 2 of the best singers to ever cut a record.

SHEILA LOVES TEQUILA BABY!!

By the way Jake what do you mean by "sounds dated"? Everything from the 70's and even early 80's is going to sound dated!!

Jethro Tull kicks ass (well up until about 1993 anyways).

Finally - Heaven & Hell is a MONSTER!!!!!

Don't take me wrong Jake - i respect your opinions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: