HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 11:17 pm    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

hey listen i don't like Pantera too much either, but they really don't sound anything like anything else either. Here ill go through the before mentioned bands:

Pantera: very heavy sound. sometimes sounds kindof sludgy even(thats the only connection i see to the "mallcore" bands) lots of screaming(and i suppose plenty of obscenity as well) and those grating solos that sound like the instrument was partly out of tune(but ill admit they are done well for what they are). Songs are negative, but so are alot of bands. I would basically say that pantera is heavy metal only taken a bit farther in the heavy direction than classic metal(thats why they sound "sludgy".

Tool: I don't know how to describe them, but they do NOT sound like Pantera. Kindof industrial, kindof hardrock. they have that sludgy guitar tone, but the singer doesnt sing like phil, nor do i hear the excessive cursing.

KoRn: Sludgy guitars, whiny vocals, not many solos. lyrics are about being repressed("beating me down" for instance) overall they are pretty simple. I don't hate them, but they are definitely overrated.

Limp Biskit: This doesnt sound like pantera. it doesnt even sound like korn. the singer raps and the background music is kindof calm usually for the verse. then the chorus comes, and with it comes the sludgy guitar sound(only similarity with pantera besides cursing). lots of cursing and dumb as hell lyrics. they seem to be more about their presentation then about the music.

Smashing Pumpkins: Nothing at all like the other bands on the list. Billy Corgan is admittedly influenced(and you can tell in the Pumpkin's music) by Metallica, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. I hear Zeppelin and Sabbath the most, but some other metal sounds are in there too. Smashing pumpkins have more alternative arrangements, but the music itself is a mix of regular rock and some hard rock. the vocalist cant sing that great but he doesn't sing like the mallcore bands. It seems that he tries to sing as though he were a good singer, but cant. in other words if he were Dio he would sing as good as Dio, but since he was only left with the pipes of an ordinary dude, he can only sing like an ordinary dude imitating metal rockers. smashing pumpkins does have solos. not superimpressive, but still decent.

Coal Chamber: lots of screaming. guitars appear really heavy to me. I don't like it, but again it sounds nothing like Pantera. Less groove than pantera for one thing.

Deftones: description would be similar to that of coal chamber, but they sound a lot better and they also rap instead of just screaming all the time. for me they are the same as korn- not bad for what they are, but they are overrated.

Nine Inch Nails: nothing like the bands on your list. They defined the industrial movement(or at least the industrial movement on mtv). nevertheless the embrace of electronic noises instead of instruments may not be appealing to some, but it is still somewhat well done in my opinion(honestly id prefer to listen to old fashioned rock solos, but the machine noises in NIN are kindof cool). Any other bands on your list that sound similar were most likely influenced by NIN.

Orgy: i havent heard much by them but they sound like industrial. Not real impressed, but they certainly do not sound like Pantera.

Fear Factory: heavy sludgy guitars. screaming. not as much groove as pantera. probably the closest band on your list to pantera, but i dont see any solos and the vocalist doesn't seem to even be able to scream as well as phil.

havent heard the rest of the bands. i admittedly don't like listening to any of the bands on the list except for occasionally smashing pumpkins, Tool, and on very rare occasions KoRn, but none of them actually sound like Pantera.

DAN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 12:23 am    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

It seems Marillion fan is having a hissy fit. He can't seem to have rational discourse so he's reduced to calling me names and say his dad can beat up my dad. NA NA "I can smoke your ass on guitar and I will score all the girls who will fall in love with me and my mirror"! I guess this could happen when he found out there is no basis for his list of so called Pantera sound alikes.

"Get some knowledge motherf++++ cuz i destroy you on all counts........"

Again I don't see any body part of mine shaking so the point of trying to scare me isn't working. If you play that 80's crap for me then maybe I would consider calling some security to protect myself.

"I'm a musician that will smoke your ass any day of the week."

Oooo I'm trembling. That still don't prove your point about Pantera. You sound like you say that line in the mirror everyday to convince yourself that you are a musician.Don't forget to comb that hair now.

"All those 80's bands you think are dead are all still releasing albums (most of them going
platinum overseas) while your nu-metal hatecore bouncecore mall metal shyte is dying a
miserable death."

Jeez, you could probably release an album overseas and it can become popular!!!!! That doesn't say much. And I believe Pantera is selling out concerts in my area right now so I don't see any signs of them dying. Tool just released a fantastic boxset that is selling out everywhere. Their next full release is said to be one of the most anticipated discs in some time by musicians, fans and critics alike. I don't see any floundering there so I still don't see your point. When and if you can get rational, then post again. Bottom line is good thing we have seperate disc players!

Jake, I respect your post and your descriptions of the bands off the so called LIST because it is reasonable. You my sir sound like a very mature person to talk to. People don't have to like what I like but if they give me a reasonable answer why they don't, I don't complain. To each His/her own.

Peace out.

MarillionFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 1:11 am    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

HAHAHA - i hafta laugh at your obvious ignorance. It doesn't take much to sell overseas??? HAHAHAHHAA
Panterrible and all of those other hatecore / bouncecore / mall metal yelling crap bands over same riffs are all the same and unless someone shows me otherwise (by HEARING it) then i might change my mind. Til then i will stick to TRUE metal with real singing , integrity and talent.

THE YELLING HAS GOTSTA GO - why are they so pissed? They got a record deal.......

Bring back the MUSIC and SINGING not F++K the world crap....

People who don't appreciate the 80's are unfortunate - you missed out on the best decade of consistent quality metal music....PERIOD

Jealousy will get you nowhere.....
freeride

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 9:46 am    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

For Marillionfan to tell people to "get some knowledge" about music is the funniest thing I've ever read. Any idiot that dismisses bands like Tool and Kyuss has a long way to go in learning about good music. Also enough with the "punk ass MTV brainwashed" B.S. I'm 37 years old and I'd venture to say I've been at this a lot longer than you. That's the reason I know why most of your favorite bands suck and you don't know why they suck.
DAN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 11:14 am    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

I believe that last post kind of sums it up and exposes Marillionfan for what he is. Pretender and poser and still wet behind the ears when it comes to appreciation. You have your opinion about Pantera and well... god bless ya. I wish you well son and I hope you prosper.

THE YELLING HAS GOTSTA GO - why are they so pissed?

It seems by judging from your postings that you have an anger problem. Can it be because
of that Steelheart album you threw on yesterday was too much of a negative influence. I don't know about that 80's music of yours. It's the devil's tool you know. Long live Tool and intelligent bands of the like. Right now I have Frank Zappa playing on my stereo. Tell me Marillionfan, was he talentless too?? Just try to play one of his pieces on guitar and then tell me. Once you do that you can give me your informative opinion.
Peace out.
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 3:10 pm    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

Freeride , for you to mention absolute trollop like Kyuss and talent in the same sentence is a farce!
When you have been a pro musician for 13 years , have over 4,800 cd's/cassettes and heavy studied metal for as long as i have then you can talk to me - til then stick to your pathetic stoner metal and shut the f++k up - cuz you have absolutely no clue what good metal is. KYUSS?? MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For the record - i respect Frank Zappa.
edis0n

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 3:22 pm    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

I agree the new Pantera is not that good, not my cup of tea. but, Its pretty Ignorant to dismiss Tool as bounce core hate metal shyte. Thats a nice list of bands that sound nothing like Pantera.

MarillionFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 7:20 pm    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

I think it all sounds the same.

Merry Xmas.....
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2000 8:47 pm    Post subject: PANTERA'S NEW CD SUCKS Reply with quote

Tool is intelligent? Yeh - tell that to Mike Portnoy - MUWAAHAHHAHAHA

But of course i will bet $200 you have no idea who he is.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: