HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Metal Girls
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daronas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 8:59 am    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

[url=http://www.wrathchild.net/]http://www.wrathchild.net/[/url]

Ogre, the singer may not be what everyone would like, but I love her passion. Oh yeah, the bassist is a chick too.
Metall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

I have nothing against metal girls, but it seems like most of the girls calling themselves metal fans can't listen to the heavier stuff(like for example Slayer). Girls listening to metal is mostly into Metallica and more alternative metal or they are black/goth animals(if you guys know what i mean) seems like there are few true metalchicks. I haven't listened to much metal made by girls, but the fact that it is made by girls doesn't make it good alone. I don't think women in general are capable of making as good metal as the metal gods(Which are all men)

But if a girl likes metal, that's neat! :-)
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 4:24 pm    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

Most of women's contributions to metal are in bringing non-metal elements to otherwise male bands, which may (partly unfairly) cast a non-metal light on women in the genre, though of course if they really didn't dig metal, they would've picked another band.

That having been said, my favorite female metal act has to have been Drain STH, who took the mantle from Alice In Chains when it became obvious that AIC would probably never record anything album-sized again. Too bad they're gone, but the best two members (massive-groove-making bassist & drummer) have formed their own project.
ArgoNaught

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 8:14 am    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

I've gotta agree with Metall... I mean the largest attendance of Metal Chicks (a term I can't really agree with) I've seen at a concert was for Stratovarius, maybe even as high as 30% and that is high folks!

Apart from Girlschool I've never really heard any all-female metal bands. I'm not saying I wouldn't want to, it just never came about. Probably something to do with the fact that most women in metal today seem to be on the Gothic side,of which I can't say I'm a great fan.

But I'd be as equally happy to hang out with a metal chick as I would be with a non-metal-listening female, it's the personality that counts...
FlashrockinMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:37 am    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

No one mentioned PHANTOM BLUE!

most of the negative comments about girls/women in metal seem to come from ignorance about the bands that are out there!

Yeah, let's judge all female metal singers by the way Girlschool or some lame band sounds, duh! That's just as bad as all those people who hate heavy metal because they've heard Trixter or Limp Biskit, neither of which are what true metal is all about!

A truly heavy all female band with a melodic MID-RANGE (not screeching) singer was (is?) MOTHER EARTH from Santa Clara/Cal. They self-released a cd called "Transitions" in 1994 and are not to be confused with 1-2 other bands with the same name.

Jutta Weinhold is a great metal singer who sounds like Heart's Ann Wilson. Weinhold did two albums with ZED YAGO in the late 80s and is now in some other band. ZED YAGO's "Pilgrimage" has some epic metal and raise-your-fist material on it.

[This message has been edited by FlashrockinMan (edited 01-22-2001).]
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:01 am    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember Phantom Blue. I liked their second album (never heard their first one, heard it was lame) but it was one of those discs I just knew I'd never listen to unless I forced myself to (my favorite guitarist then, Marty Friedman, guested on one track and his contributions were, to say the least, minimal), so I ended up trading it in. Still, approval.

Anyone ever hear a band called 13? They have one track on the Celtic Frost tribute album...they're sure cute (except for that guy), one of 'em looking like Trisha Yearwood, but honestly, they sounded awful. Still, I wonder what their original material sounded like.
FlashrockinMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:14 am    Post subject: Metal Girls Reply with quote

Did I mention Tairrie B, formerly of TURA SATANA & MANHOLE?!

another example, while the GUANO APES aren't a metal band, their songs "Open Your Eyes" and "Lords of the Boards" show off their female singer's power and melody in a KIDD ROCK/NIRVANA type melodic energy

Rock on, women!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: