HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nirvana in Bleach
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

hey so i was listening to In Bleach last night. I hadn't listened to it in a long time, but I remembered it as being somewhat heavy and my memory was correct- this album sounds very heavy metal to me. With some different mixing on this album it would appear to be some kind of doom metal perhaps instead of being labelled as grunge. In fact it still doesnt sound like grunge. It's really simple, but I think it's kindof cool.

Anyone got any opinions on this, besides "Nirvana sucks"? But if you want to say that go ahead as long as you have some funny way of saying it.
freeride

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 1:47 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

Nirvana was a great band. A lot bands I've heard described as "Grunge" were cool to me. Are you really gonna say that Tad, Soundgarden, Gruntruck, Alice In Chains, and The Screaming Trees sucked? "Grunge" was just some heavy sounding music that freaked people out because they were used to MTV fakeness.
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:34 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

yeah Negative Creep is pretty cool. I also really like Scoff. I remember playing that to some people who were fans of later day Nirvana and they thought it was some kind of metal band.

This actually kind of ties into that new rumor/news story that Dave Grohl is going to be putting out a heavy metal album. Although actually Dave Grohl didnt play on In Bleach.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

Does *anything* actually sound like grunge to grunge-saturated ears? I was listening to Pearl Jam's _Ten_ the other day in the car with my gf, and I distinctly remember when it came out, it sounded like this fresh new sound, but today it just sounds like rock.
Templar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 6:40 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

What has always enraged me most about the way the public and the critics embraced grunge as this great "new" thing that "revitalized" rock & roll is that it was basically just bad heavy metal. What's so original about that, and what the hell is so great about celebrating lousy musicianship and an utter lack of personal hygiene on the part of the musicians?
Rattler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 7:37 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

*fssshhhttt*

and the can of worms opens...
Subtraction

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:03 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

Instead we like to celebrate men who wore heavy makeup and tight spandex!

Something to think about.

I am just being silly, please no one attack me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:21 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

I remember when the metal community first picked up on the Seattle sound in the early 1990's. Then the movie (Singles?) came out along with a sooundtrack and Pearl Jam and the division occurred.
Templar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2001 8:51 pm    Post subject: Nirvana in Bleach Reply with quote

Not necessarily, Subtraction. I never did like the glam look or the posing that went with it, even back when that sort of thing was semi-popular. But off the top of my head I can name two dozen metal bands that never fit that image. Can you name me even one grunge band that, by 1993, didn't fit the stereotype I mentioned in my previous post? More importantly, can you name me one of those bands that, despite all their claims of originality and how they "loathed" (as Kurt Cobain said) heavy metal, weren't influenced by it?

My point is not that "grunge sucks." That's just an opinion, open to endless argument, and everybody has different tastes. My point is that grunge was generally accepted as somehow musically superior and more original than heavy metal. THAT is something which I can refute objectively, I believe.

Oh, and this isn't an attack. I'm just in a rare argumentative mood tonight, and what I'm saying is not intended to start a big fight. Jake's original comment was that Nirvana sounded something like a metal band, which is what my point kinda sorta leads back to, if only in a roundabout way.

[This message has been edited by Templar (edited 02-13-2001).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: