HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitarist you dislike most
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:52 pm    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

NOT very 'eavy lemmie just clear this up for ya:

Monster Magnet isn't metal
In Flames IS metal
Hammerfall IS metal
Deep Purple IS hard rock bordering on metal.
Black Sabbath IS metal
Led Zep wasn't metal.
Yngwie IS metal.

KAPICHE!
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 5:00 pm    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

C.C. DeVille gets my vote. Someone pass the Pepto-Bismol.
General Zod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 5:30 pm    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

MarillionFan-

Trying to define what is metal and what isn't metal, is like trying to herd cats.

When I listen to Monster Magnet I hear a great deal of Sabbath influence. Yet, you classify Sabbath as metal, and Monster Magnet as not metal.

Yngwie is metal? Now, while I won't necessarily argue with classifying him as such, was Trilogy a metal CD? Because much of what is on that disc is much more mellow than much of what Monster Magnet has done.

Botton line: who cares what is and what isn't metal?

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 8:09 pm    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

Most metal bands seem to write songs based on riffs, then put solos on top of those song. A few metal/hard rock bands, seem to write songs first then put riffs and solos on them(bands like Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden give me this impression). Then there are a few guys who seem to base entire songs on the solo. I think Malmsteen is one of these guys. I must say that my preference is to the second kind of writing then the first then the third, but I wouldn't deny Malmsteen of having any talent. I simply don't like his songs so much. His solos are cool, but if only he were the lead guitarist for some band that didnt rely on him for writing(like if for some reason he joined a thrash band(testament? man that might be cool).

General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:57 am    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

eVh 5150 Mcready OU812-

I think you may have missed the point. No one was saying that Eddie can't play. Most people were simply pointing out that Eddie has been resting on his laurels for quite some time.

GZ
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:52 am    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

....and there ain't nothin wrong with that old man.
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:52 am    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

....and there ain't nothin wrong with that old man.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 1:03 am    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

Man, I love Marillion and I love metal. And it is possible to like both at the same time. So I am a fan and a metal fan at that!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Katalyst

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 5:58 am    Post subject: Guitarist you dislike most Reply with quote

"It's like they were never there
even though they talk about it.
Remember the Beauty within
now it seems they can live without it."

"Animation
breathes a cloudless mind
Fascination
leaves the doubting blind
Until the circle breaks and wisdom lies ahead
the faithful live Awake
the rest remain misled "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: