HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fans that can turn you off a band....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:59 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

I've come across this nonsense a lot. Honest to God, the biggest reason I've not bothered to pick up a Blind Guardian CD yet is because their fans are like _Fight Club_ fans or _Rocky Horror Picture Show_ fans or _X-Men_ fans or _Gladiator_ fans or _The Matrix_ fans...they can't accept that, while it may certainly be good, it probably isn't the GREATEST THING EVER. When you've heard as much hype as I have (or, really, any of you have), this kind of hype naturally leads to resentment. I don't blame the band. I just don't have any sincere, burning curiosity anymore...and for the movies which I all saw and for the most part liked very much, it's hard to like it with enthusiasm when you keep feeling compelled to point out their weak spots to those who gush.

Black metal has a whole lot of annoying, pretentious fans, but they're easy to tune because they don't seem to exist anywhere except on the internet.

Goth has to be the worst for this, especially in the pretention department. Saw a hilarious show on A&E today about vampires, and they featured one cult of vampire-fetishists who seem to sincerely believe they're vampires, that is, inhabited by "vampire gods". Of course, these vampires cannot be harmed by crosses, sunlight, etc. They can't turn into bats, they reflect just fine in a mirror, and they bleed and die just like anybody else. In other words, they're not vampires, they're just very, very pretentious.

Oh yes, and Trent Reznor/Tori Amos's fans, which have to be the worst. I like Tori, even though in interviews she's either a nut or trying very hard to sound like one. But I've said it before and I'll say it again - more than anybody else, these two have a HUGE legion of psycho-fans who will love, hate, **** or kill anyone and anything they tell them to. Any attempt to talk about ANYTHING with these psycho-fans inevitably leads to them accusing you of trying to refute something Tori or Trent said (don't, I repeat DON'T bring up how little you believe in faeries).

Sigh...I don't want to put off anybody with this post if you happen to identify with any of the above, but I might be so jackassish to suggest that if you're a fan of something mentioned above and aren't aware of these people, you probably are one of these people.
sabbathian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:06 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

bloody hell. exactly my sentiments. can't remember the number of failed attempts at trying to embrace a genre just to be turned of by the fact that you share a common choice with millions of above mentioned misfits.

You really wish we could deliver a vicious wedgie to these loonies guided by emptiness in the upper level
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 7:33 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

My biggest arch enemies are the friggin nazi's. A disgrace to metal and humanity.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 4:50 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Within the metal/hard rock type genre I would said the two groups I find most difficult are the skinheads and the punks. It's not that I'm not willing to tolerate them, but they seem to take great joy in loathing anyone or anything that isn't exactly like them. One thing I never understood about punk culture is how they can be so against conformity but then also be against anyone who doesn't conform to how they are. Cripes, talk about misplaced anger. And I don't think I need to explain why I think the skinheads are trouble.

Outside of metal, the 2 bands that I would probably listen to if it wasn't for the fans are The Grateful Dead and Phish. They are really good musicians, but 90% of their gig is about the whole hippy, shroom eating, pot smoking, dancing naked in the rain thing. Sorry, don't dig it, can't even listen to them.
Rockangel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 5:17 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

I may be Metal but I like goth!

However I do know what you mean. I do not go overboard. I just like it for the inspiration for paintings. I've definatly known people who just refuse to look further than their own music or subculture to find any merit in another. Not to mention how pushy they can be about their own!

Tyranno, I'll second Raider as far as, don't go the other direction totaly either. Don't let an overabundance of praise by fans keep you from hearing a good band. They are not in my top 10 even but they are good and wortha listen. [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Acca Dacca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 6:26 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Mr. Bungle fans (or, more precisely, Mike Patton fans). Heaven forbid you should have the NERVE to ask a question that someone asked three years ago, or (gasp!) "break protocol" at a concert and yell out your favorite songs. Their manager is a giant schlong too, threatening lawsuits constantly. I still like Bungle quite a bit, but can't be "into" the band the way I am with others because I have my own opinions, and wouldn't pay $1,000 to blow Patton on stage (trust me, if he offered, fans would take out a second mortgage to give it a shot).
Subtraction

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2001 10:03 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

I think I turn others off to any music I listne to myself hehe. I don't drink, don't do drugs. I am just a regular old person who loves great music. I have a great family and don't have any major problems. I am an art major that just tries to be her normal self. When people see me they think "I don't want to be that boring and normal! Ughhh!" Oh yeah I am also nerdy cause I like progressive rock and monty python.

Of course I do go through long complaining rants about fans that suck. But generally they don't turn me off of a certain genre of music but to people all together. I have to agree with a lot of comments made so far, except I do like Nine Inch Nails (and I truly understand how retarded fans can act).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:27 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Tyranno:

You have to understand, though, the Blind Guardian fans are RIGHT!!!
MarillionFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:58 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

This is easy...

Rap Fans
Mallcore fans
Grunge fans
Black Metal fans for sure
MOST Death Metal fans.
oh yeah and fans of 80's cheese like Depeche Mode and Human League.
Late 60's / Early 70's Rock fans who can't be bothered to seek out anything post-1978 because everything sucked after disco became popular.

TO ALL OF YOU I SAY F.UCK YOU...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: