HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fans that can turn you off a band....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockangel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Could someone explain the differance between black and death metal to me?
fly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 9:55 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

The difference between black and death metal isnt that big but if u listen to a group like Death and after u lister to slayer u see the difference is big. Death metal group dont sing they just destroy their voice. Black metal group like Children of bodom u can hear what they sing and normally its more melodic then death metal. thats the big diffenrence
Rockangel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:40 am    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Since I haven't said it befor welcome to the board Fly. And thanks for clearing that up. Withall the little subcatagories here I don't mind saying I need clarification on some. [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Daronas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:24 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Yeah, and what about those fans that try to convince you that they are so open-minded by talking s.hit about other fans when they themselves, do the exact same thing that they profess to piss them off so much. Ludicrously laughable, linguistically less than laudable.
Subtraction

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 1:56 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

I always looked at black metal as a kind of a "progressive" death metal. Keyboards, key changes, tempo changes, long songs (well some anyways). But that seems to maybe be a good explanation.

MarillionFan turns me off to Marillion, geez.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

No offense, fly, but those were the most inept and misguided definitions of death and black metal I've ever heard.

The differences between death (DM) and black metal (BM) are almost bipolar in nature. DM guitar tunings are usually tuned to a drop-C or lower (giving it a more rumbling, "heavy" sound) whereas BM is tuned more properly. DM speed drumming relies on a preponderance of double bass, whereas BM's speed comes from rapid snare blasts. Vocally, DM employs more low-range, guttural belches (think of, yes, the Cookie Monster) whereas BM employs a higher-register rasp or croak (Alexi from Children of Bodom or Dani from Cradle of Filth). Riff-wise, DM is based in pentatonic minor whereas BM employs rapid single- or double-string picking. I wouldn't say either was more or less melodic, as both rely on dissonant or atonal melody for their quite different atmospheres, which, though not like conventional consonant melody, is still "melodic." Lyrics are also quite an area of divergence. BM deals with Satanic/pagan/nationalist/animistic themes, whereas DM relies primarily on death, torture and gore. Of course, there are exceptions to these generalities, but this is the best way to understand the differences.

As far as the bands you mentioned go:
Death = death metal
Slayer = thrash/speed metal
Children of Bodom = neoclassical power metal with the only thing relevant to black metal being the vocals. They are NOT a BM band!!
edis0n

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:38 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Late eighties, early 90's glam rockers. Who cant be bothered to check out anything past 1992 because everything sucked after Rap and grunge became popular.

Id say Pantera fans can be annoying. Not all of them, but the ones that seem to be on a 24 hour roid-rage.

Depeche Mode is cheese and Yngwie is not? lol

MarillionFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

Well that ain't me Edison cuz i have over 1,000 cd's dated 1992 - 2001.

Depeche Mode contains tons more cheddar than Yngwie could even dream about...

MALMSTEEN IS F.UCKING METAL!!!
SpiritOnParole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: Fans that can turn you off a band.... Reply with quote

I'm actually a fan of both Tori Amos and Trent Reznor, and yes, I'm aware of the fanatical fans of whom you speak, so there is hope, Tyrannorabbit.

As for my own fan fears...

Mansonites! I've only seen a few up close, fortunately.

Hardcore Phish fans who listen to nothing but Phish and refuse to believe that anything else qualifies as music. Those of you from the Jersey area will doubtless understand this one.

Feminuts -- er, I mean feminists -- who worship the Indigo Girls and their ilk. I believe in equal rights, equal treatment, and essentially just ignoring gender, not bashing on men and saying that they're the root of all evil and must be destroyed. I swear, it's people like them who give the women's liberation movement a bad name. The rest of us females are just happy to be who we are. It's fun to be female, but no better than it is to be male, though you never have to worry about potential injuries incurred whilst zipping up your pants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: