HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opeth Morningrise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:19 am    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

After hearing much hype about Opeth, I finally bought a CD, I figured I'd start with the first one. At first listen I was not impressed, The vocals are Death which I'm not a big fan of and the production was horrible, but the actual composition was great. After quite a few more listens though I've become addicted to this CD, possessed if you will. The music is hypnotizing and these compositions are truly amazing. I'm still not that fond of the vocals, but they're tolerable. The guitar harmonies are unbelievable and that freakin bass player is one of the best I've heard! The drums are good but too much in the rear. How are the other 2 CDs in comparison to this one production wise and musically??? I've heard each one is completely different, Any Comments??
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 4:29 am    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

There are actually four other Opeth CD's, including one that should be coming out any day now. Here's my take on them:

_Orchid_ - awesome. Majestic, melodic, powerful, and flawless in just about every direction you'd dare to look at it if you've the patience for Opeth's brand of loooooong songs. The thing I like most about this album is that no matter how complex things seem like they're getting, I'm pretty sure that at any time you're still hearing just drums, a bass, and two guitars.

_Morningrise_ - took a bit for me to get into, mostly because I don't think the first two songs are all that special, and that's over twenty minutes right there. After that, I like. More somber than _Orchid_, and as you well know, one song is twenty minutes long. This, thankfully, was not an escalating trend.

_My Arms, Your Hearse_ - haven't got it yet (on its way from Century Media, knock on wood), but the songs I've heard definitely suggest shorter, heavier, darker songs.

_Still Life_ - more overdubs, longer songs again, covers a lot of territory like _Orchid_ did.

_Blackwater Park_ - looking forward to it!
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 2:39 pm    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

Blackwater park is a good, heavy album with mostly clean vocals. The instrumentation is great! The only thing that disappoints me about the album it it's pace. It tends to remain relatively slow throughout.
brianscriv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 6:16 pm    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

You mean black metal vocals...not death metal [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]. Haha

Brian
Bonerattler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 11:37 pm    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

Yeah, all right Butchmen. I myself discovered Opeth in 1999 when I picked up "My Arms, Your Hearse". At first listen, I was wondering why I wasted my money on it. But after a few more listens it quickly became my favorite CD (at that time). I ordered the first two after that. I still prefer "My Arms ..." to "Orchid" and "Morningrise". I am so far unable to find "Still Life", if anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know. Thanks. Blackwater Parks I believe comes out this week or next.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 11:52 pm    Post subject: Opeth Morningrise Reply with quote

You can preorder "still Life" and "Blackwater Park" on Amazon.com. Otherwise I have gotten both of them from Napster, get 'em while you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: