HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lyrics? help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:32 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

as a person with an imagination I thought about lyric writing but is there a place
you can sell lyrics?
Mijarra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

Maybe try finding a local songwriter to collaborate with. Otherwise, I don't know about a specific place to sell them, but if you spend some time snooping around the web I'm sure you can learn all about it. Be sure to get your stuff copyrighted though so you get credit and any potential $$$.
General Zod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:51 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

nuclear_x-

Speaking as someone who used to write lyrics, let me start by saying, it takes more than just a good imagination to write good lyrics. Having a good imagination, and being good with words, are completely separate. That's not to say that you couldn't possess both skils, it's just to say that I would not rate having a good imagination as being anywhere near the top of assets necessary to a good lyricist. Especially when you consider, most great songs are born from personal experience.

To answer your question, you can't sell just lyrics. You would have to sell a whole song (lyrics, a melody, and a piece of music). And like everything else in the music industry, you need to have connections to get yours songs heard.

By the way, if you do get into lyric writing, rather than having your lyrics or songs copyrighted, simply put them into an envelope, mail them back to yourself, and leave the envelope sealed. This is known as the "poor man's copyright". When the post office stamps the date on the envelope, it is considered an officially legal date, and would hold up in a court of law.

GZ
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

whoa this poor man's copyright sounds cool General Zod. Maybe I'll try that sometime. How much does it cost for a normal copyright?
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 3:26 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

I don't recall. I haven't written songs in queite some time, so I am not up on the latest prices. I remember it being a few hunder per song back in the day.

GZ
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:03 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

POOR MANS COPYRIGHT YOU GOTTA BE JOKING if I send it to myself sealed how the Hell am I going to use it [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

nuclear_x-

If you ever needed to sue someone for copyright infringement, you could present the unopened, sealed, postmarked envelope in a court of law.

GZ
Mijarra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:49 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

General Zod...I never heard of copyrighting things in this way, so I apologize if this is a dumb question: Does this apply to music as well? Can I record a song on a tape and mail it to myself, or would I need to write the actual music down on paper? Also, how much water does this practice hold in court? Thx.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 10:54 pm    Post subject: lyrics? help Reply with quote

i guess i get the concept. the only real point in mailing it is to get a stamp that proves that you mailed it(sealed) at this certain date. therefor whatever the contents were must therefor have been created on that date or before so anyone trying to hold those ideas to themself had better have a copyright from the date on the envelope or before to beat you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: