HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

heavy rock
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OverMuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 10:32 am    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

Much as I can't stand PJ's music, I do admire them for every point MetalFilm just made. You gotta give 'em some respect for their integrity.
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 2:51 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

I gotta admit, I don't know Pearl Jam personally so its hard to judge their motivations. However, their "boycott" everything" mentality seemed both like contrived marketing ("Yeah, man, we're so anti-establishment"), and naive. Much of it back-fired. They remind me of the burn-out guy I buy my burrito from everyday, always telling me about some march or protest he did or the latest cause, but never really knowing the facts behind it. It always seemed like so much hippy, head-in-the-sand fashion-oriented activism -- "Free Mumia" and all that garbage. But I'm not a fan. I could care less what they do.
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 3:47 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

Okay, being anti-establishment is bad? Having noble efforts backfire is bad? Okay, let's scrap all of it and play ball. Metallica sold out?? NEVER! Where's my martini, Lars?
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 6:48 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

Matt, being anti-establishment isn't bad. But there is a difference between being actually against the establishment, and pretending you are just to look cool.

What Pearl Jam seemed to do is have a knee-jerk hippy reaction to things, such as the ticketmaster fiasco. Pearl Jam claimed the fees were too high, then went to their own system or to alternative systems. As anyone who tried to buy tickets to that tour will attest, it was a joke. Pearl Jam eventually relented. Now, you can say they were brilliant and cool for trying to **** with the man, or you can say they are morons because they acted without really thinking it through.

I'm not saying Pearl Jam's a sell-out. I don't know what a sell-out is. I don't care. I do think they are typical of the young, shoe-gazing, idealistic, naive, psuedo-hippie mentality. For whatever that is worth.

p.s. no offense to HippyBlood.

[This message has been edited by DeathtofalseMetal (edited 10-26-1999).]
Hippyblood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 8:26 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

[img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
nitro4040

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 1999 8:58 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

Once again, this is why I nominate the term "guitar oriented rock" when speaking of my favorites... to many they are all heavy metal, to some, not, but all in the same category to me.. ufo, iron maiden, metallica, Y&T, Thin Lizzy, .. tell me where Nirvana and Peal Jam and the like are not Heavy Metal when all these bands are/were.. hell, don't you people remember when Pink Floyd was considered heavy metal. Oh yeah, most of you are too young [img]http://axl.hardradio.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

I say PJ and Nirvana and the rest are heavy metal, when crap like brittany and others passes for what they call rock we need to differentiate these other bands as heavy metal.

Oh yeah, also, don't have to be hard to be heavy metal..

ok, i will read this later and se if it makes sense...
DeathtofalseMetal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 1999 11:04 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

Music labels seem to be more about fashion than anything else.

Why were the London Quireboys a hard rock band and the Freewheelers a roots rock band, even though they sounded EXACTLY THE SAME? Because one tucked their jeans into their cowboy boots, and the other didn't.
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 1999 5:39 pm    Post subject: heavy rock Reply with quote

i think you point about looks is definately right deathtofalsemetal. I still think even though i havent been into music at all for that long, that hardrock is just the term for socially acceptable metal. Pearl Jam is just hard rock when mtv talks about it and so are nirvana metallica and any other band that has a trend going, but slayer isnt hardrock, they are satan worshipping metal heads that are a wide open target for mtv jockeys to bash.

Pearl Jam are at least half metal and it really annoys me that all my friends here in college love anything pearl jam does but then unpopular bands like savatage and judas priest they cant stand them just cause they arent popular like pearl jam. some pearl jam songs sound so much like zeppelin or some other classic metal band and i see people just rocking along to them and then i start to listen to something like deep purple or rainbow something thats not even too heavy and people just say its a bunch of noise.

Pearl Jam arent very heavy though which was the start of this discussion they are definately rock and they are probably metal at least in part but not too heavy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: