HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD Shopping...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:04 am    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Need to go CD shopping this weekend, let me know what you recommend! Any and all recommendations will be considered. Give a brief description so I can make up my own mind. Thanks!!
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:43 am    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

I would be happy to make recommendations, as I buy a lot of CDs. If you gave us some clue as to what kind of music you like, it would be helpful.

GZ
Wasted

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 9:47 am    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Anything and everything. I try it all. Prefer cleaner vocals, but have to have lots of guitars.

Presently listening to:

Savatage Poets and Madmen
Seven Witches
Scanner Terminal Earth

At least that is what I have with me today.
Mordax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 10:35 am    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Hard to say what you dont already have Wasted... but here's bands with a harder sound that I dig:

Grim Reaper
Powermad (oop, but maybe used somewhere)
Angra
Candlemass
Chastain (Leather on vocals, this chick rules)
CJSS
Sentenced (the newer stuff with Ville on vocals)
Vicious Rumors
Krokus

Alot of these have been around for a while. Not sure if you were only interested in new releases or not.
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 1:50 pm    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

I don't know how much help it will be, but here are a few of the newer CDs that have really done it for me:

Nevermore - Dead heart in a Dead World - quite simply the best band on the planet... it's not even close. If you don't own this CD, you owe it to yourself to purchase it.

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait - although it seems that you are not a big fan of "unclean" vocals, this is the one that could get you into that genre. First off, they tend to use clean vocals when they hit the chorus. Second, I am not a big fan of "death" vocals either, but this guy has a cool voice. Finally, if you like guitars that go "crunch", buy this disc.

Magnitude 9 - Reality in Focus - amazing musicians. Think old Queensryche, with a large helping of Yngwie, and a dash of Dokken.

Amorphis - Am Universum - it just came out. These guys remind me of Sentenced. They are a little bit mellower, but they are far more talented.

If you don't mind Dungeons & Dragons lyrics, than I would concur with Raider, you would probably like Blind Guardian. I believe their latest release is "Nightfall in Middle Earth".

I would disagree with zombie on his Opeth recommendation. You stated that you prefer "clean" vocals, and that it has to have "lots" of guitars. While I do believe that Opeth is brilliant (don't flame me zombie), I don't think you will like them. Whenever the guitars are heavy, the singing is unclean. Whenever the singing is clean, the guitars are accoustic.

Hope that helps.

GZ
General Zod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 1:54 pm    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

zombie-

Which Tristiana CD is it that you are recommending? I would like to check them out. Thanks.

GZ
BIG ED

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Grim Reaper- See You In Hell
Ten Years After- Essential
Humble Pie- Rockin The Filmore
Raider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 3:17 pm    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Hey now, DO NOT confuse Dungeons and Dragons with Tolkien lyrics [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm serious, too. Just put the smiley face so you'd know I'd wasn't trying to start a fight or something.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:12 pm    Post subject: CD Shopping... Reply with quote

Run, don't walk and pick up- Unholy Terror from WASP. It kicks so much ass it is unreal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: