HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BedOfRust

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:18 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

From the Halford web site:

quote:
HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH
Rob will be making a special live TV performance tomorrow night (August 1st - 8-11pm New York time) at the MTV20: Live and Amost Legal birthday celebrations in New York.

The Metal God will be opening the show with a surprise line-up which as yet is unrevealed so tune in to check it out.The show will be airing live on both MTV and MTV2.

Other artists who will be there include Kid Rock, Fred Durst, Naughty By Nature, Jane's Addiction, Billy Idol, P.Diddy, Method Man, Mary J. Blige, SUM 41,RUN-DMC, Busta Rhymes, and The Neptunes, plus performances from tours of the summer including Janet Jackson, Bon Jovi, Nelly, Depeche Mode, Blink-182, Aerosmith, and Sugar Ray.

Any guesses of the surprise line-up?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

Ironic, that he's performing at a celebration of a company which has historically shown him virtually zero support.
Icarus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say this, I will attempt to watch for Rob's sake and the sake of metal.

As for the surprise lineup maybe it's original Priest members. From the crap I've been reading in the weekly local rags around Boston, supposedly metal is alive and well. Some say metal may save record store retailers this year (in so many words) if you believe that. Of course the focus was on Nu-Metal crap and the Ozfest with some mention of the [b]Pantera[/b] tour. The past 2 years HAVE shown an increase in 80's hair bands touring.

With this in mind I wouldn't put it past eMTy V to try to jump on the supposed "resurgence of metal" bandwagon. By having the original members of Priest get back together. Of course I can picture it now: The eMTy V execs. take all the credit for bringing metal back to the maistream just to saturate the market in 5 years repeating the same cycle angain that we saw in the early 90's.

Oh no, what a horrible thought. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:04 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

It doesn't suprise me to see MTV cashing in on metals "resurgance" Remember, to MTV the bands merely serve as dollar signs and are yet another ploy to cash in and sell to the young consumer. The musical trends flow like diarhea from he a$$holes of MTV. They don't care about music, they only care about money. plain and simple
Mordax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

I don't care if its MTV or any other channel... if I get it and they are airing Halford live, I will be watching.

A JP reunion would be awesome.
Evil Doctor X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:09 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

I figure a JP reunion is at least a year off. They will finish this tour and Tipton is going to do a solo album. Halford has one out in the spring.

Isn't Tommy Lee supposed to be on the MTV thing also? Maybe it will be some sort of "all star" jam.
Desslar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:23 am    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sebitchian Bitch:
[b]It doesn't suprise me to see MTV cashing in on metals "resurgance" Remember, to MTV the bands merely serve as dollar signs and are yet another ploy to cash in and sell to the young consumer. The musical trends flow like diarhea from he a$$holes of MTV. They don't care about music, they only care about money. plain and simple[/b]

Cashing in on metal's resurgence????? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's a good one! There would have to be some actual money to be made in order for them to "cash in." Old fogey nostalgia tours are not big bucks. Look at Billboard's top 200 albums and count all the metal bands you see. Don't worry, it won't take long.
Mordax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:15 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

Disappointing.... I can't believe Halford let himself be put in this situation. Playing with Sub 41...??? WTF........

Run, Rob, run... get as far away from Tommy Lee as you can.
Icarus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:50 pm    Post subject: HALFORD TO PERFORM AT MTV'S 20TH BIRTHDAY BASH Reply with quote

An embarrassing moment for metal overall [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img] . In case anyone missed the pathetic display it went sort of like this:

The show opens with a bunch of MTV loser DJ's talking with various stars in the theater including Fred Durst. Then the first band comes on called [b]Sub 41[/b] or something like that. Typical Nu-metal, rap-core crap except more radio friendly sounding (if that's possible). They started with what I think was one of their own songs, raping bouncing as if on pogo sticks (you know the Nu-metal drill). The song turned into a medley which started with a [b]Beastie Boys[/b] song, [i]No Sleep til Brooklyn[/i]. At this point Tommy Lee is rolled out to add his skin pounding to the circus act (while simultaniously aiding in his own musical self destruction). Next they do a [b]Crue[/b] tribute with [i]Shout at the Devil[/i] which was very sad indeed. Then the grand finale of patheticness came when they kicked into [b]Priest's[/b] [i]You've Got Another Thing Coming[/i]. Enter Rob Halford and exit (for that moment at least) his true metal self. It was funny seeing the two guitarists imitate the classic dipping moves of Downing and Tipton.

When it was over one of the MTV guys (Carson Daley??? or the Conoley guy) came out and started patting all the guys on the back, blah, blah, blah. He even said "Rob Halford of Judas Priest" [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]. Probably the worst part about it was Rob kissing MTV's a.ss congratulating them on 20 years, etc. Then he made some comment about the band [b]Sub 41[/b] or whoever they were being the next great "metal band" OH NO ROB! Please say it isn't so. [img]images/smiles/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Anyway, this was probably the most shameful display I've witnessed since [b]Limp Bisquick[/b] took the stage at Ozfest 3 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: