HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rap Music
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 3:09 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

Could someone tell me how this sh*t got to be so big? I mean there's no band talent behind it, and all their doing is stealing other peoples music with turntables. To me that would be like taking a bunch of excerpts out of a bunch of Stephen King novels, splicing them together and calling them your own. I mean, that's a pretty lazy way to make music. My guess is, is that this black hip/hop culture is promoted by the corporations because it the most dumbed down and easy to market sub-genre out there. Don't think for one second that this sh*t made it on its own merit, it has the words "corporate marketing" written all over it
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:15 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

While the appeal of specific rap acts totally escapes me, I can kinda understand the appeal of the genre as a whole. Like a lot of kinds of music that crop up and get huge out of seemingly nowhere, rap has the distinction of being very easy to do on one's own. It has a sort of "down to earth" appeal that, say, boy bands don't - boy bands require some degree of concentrated group effort and direction ("I'm gonna finger-bang-bang you into my life, I'm gonna finger-bang-bang ev-er-y night!" Sorry, got distracted...), while rap, well, all it takes is one guy, and he doesn't even need equipment, or a band, or singing lessons or anything.

It has puzzled me that it has lasted so long in the public eye, though. Possibly because it exhausted its cycle of "shock for shock's sake" early and had to concentrate on other things - whatever the hell they are - to survive. If that's the case, maybe Eminem may well be spelling doom for it. Of course, like many rappers, he's probably spelling it wrong...
THUMPER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:42 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

If a nuclear warhead would just slam into BET, I mean, MTV headquaters, we would all be able to sleep better. This IS the internet, right? Isn't there an Iraqi terrorist who hates Rap out there? Help us out, huh?
Starbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 9:39 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[B]...I'm gonna finger-bang-bang you into my life, I'm gonna finger-bang-bang ev-er-y night...B]

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

(Blame Canada)

-Marty
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by THUMPER:
[b]If a nuclear warhead would just slam into BET, I mean, MTV headquaters, we would all be able to sleep better. This IS the internet, right? Isn't there an Iraqi terrorist who hates Rap out there? Help us out, huh?[/b]

Where's Osama Bin Laden when you need him, but anyway, I think rap is the musical equivelant to diarhea, and to quote the late great Sam Kinison, "I thought rap would fizzle out like a bad fart, some of that rap is so bad you can smell it"
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:28 am    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

Here's a new theory - it's long been said that rap is sort of the black equivalent of metal, but I disagree.

Rap is the black equivalent of punk.

Chew on that for a while.
Lars37

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 7:28 am    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

Tyranno,

I absolutely agree with you - rap is the black equivalent of punk. It started as a reaction to the music they were being exposed to, and they rebelled against it. Not all early rap was angry - in fact, almost none of it was. That came later. But it was a musical expression against the status quo.
While I'm no huge fan of rap, I do think it takes a certain degree of talent to make new music out of old, and while these performers may or may not have what we'd refer to as "genuine musical talent" ( i.e., the ability to play musical instruments ), at some level the ability to create a song in any style is a musical achievement.
My main bitch about more recent rap music is that it's become as safe and formulaic as the music it started as a reaction to. You hear one modern rap song, and you've heard them all.
In that regard, it's the same as punk, or even metal these days - there's no new explosions going on in music today. Why is that? I think it's because new artists can't break through on a major scale, thanks to the play-it-safe, big-bucks mentality of the music industry. If they'd spend the same time and energy finding the next great band or artist that they spent killing Napster, maybe I'd be more inclined to drop my cash at the record store.
Sebitchian Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

I think to compare punk to this dreck is an insult to punk. I think a lot of punk bands were underrated as musicians. There is nothing artistic about this rap sh*t at all. I mean take a listen to some of these rap artists that are popular today: DMX, Ludacris, Jay-Z... I mean how can anyone consider this sh*t music? It baffles the mind! But then again, people said the same thing about rock when it came out
General Zod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 12:40 pm    Post subject: Rap Music Reply with quote

I tend agree with the prevailing theory, to some extant, that rap is to blacks what metal is to whites. Now, sociologically speaking, this is obviously a broad generalization, but quite possibly, an accurate one.

I think rap reflects the hostility and rage felt by young urban blacks, in much the same way metal does for pissed-off white kids. I also think that itís a little naive, for a group of people who admittedly don't ďget itĒ, to sit here and say that it takes no talent. Isn't that exactly what people have been saying about metal for years? How many of us, who have been listening to metal have heard the following statements at one time or another:

1 - That singer can't sing; he's just screaming.
2 - That guitar player is just playing fast, anyone can do that.
3 - All metal bands sound the same.

I know I have heard all of these things said, by non-metal fans, about metal, for years. So for us to sit here, and say that all rap sounds the same, or that it takes no talent, seems kind of hypocritical. I use to say that singing Death Metal took no talent. Until someone pointed out to me, how so few people can do it, how some do it better than others, and how he (the person I was debating with) would love to be able to do it himself, but no matter how much he practiced, he still canít sing in that style.

I agree that rappers donít possess the same types of talents as the musicians that we listen to, but hey, their not trying to create the same type of music.

Sampling, to a rock/metal fan, is heresy. However, does that mean that there is no skill in knowing what to sample, how to sample, and where to place those samples in a given song?

Much like metal, there are tons of rappers who are trying to become successful in their chosen genre. But very few of them ever will. I would suggest that the difference between those of make it, and those who donít (for the most part), is talent (and a marketable product).

GZ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: