HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

I find it funny how many of you think lyrics are so important.
OverMuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:30 pm    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

Why find it funn? If a band hasn't got anything interesting to say, why have a singer at all? Just do an instrumental album and save us the laughable cheeseball lyrics.
Desslar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:41 pm    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[b]
Anyway - yeah, I like this disc. Then again, I REALLY liked _Jugulator_. It's far from a great disc (judging by how much better the ballads are than the rockers, maybe Priest would be served well by aging a little more gracefully), but it's a hell of a lot better than the most recent releases by a lot of bands who have been around as long (Aerosmith, Black Sabbath), and to my ears, it's still a lot more interesting than, say, _Brave New World_, which I find to be the most boring and overrated album of the last few years.
But that's just me. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img][/b]

Have to agree about Brave New World. I was in Japan when it came out and the press was going nuts about what a strong, ambitious album it was. Whatever. There's only one or two rockers on the whole album, and Wicker Man sounds like it was written 20 years ago. The other songs are overly lengthy prog metal. None of the nasty, evil brutality of old. However, it was well written, and by comparison Demolition sounds like it was dreamed up by a couple of pimply 13 year olds. Machine Man indeed.
Lars37

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 5:44 am    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

Hey, PMAOR,

Is it any more or less funny than obsessing on the lead vocalist's singing style?

I'm not saying that to start a flame war, I'm just saying that different people look for different things in their music. I know that you like a more melodic singing style, to the point of dismissing In Flames because they growl. Other people look for certain guitar sounds, or double-bass drums, or whatever.

I personally like to learn the lyrics and sing along ( although NOT in front of others, and ESPECIALLY NOT at concerts - nothing ruins a great show faster than the out-of-key yelling guy right in front of you ). So I like for the lyrics to be SOMEWHAT intelligent, or at least not to be embarrassingly bad. REALLY bad lyrics can ruin a band for me ( Scorpions, anyone? )

...it's all in what you look for...
FALCON

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 9:35 pm    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

I have went totally polar on this topic, which rarely happens for me, so I can totally relate to these comments, as my first few listens rendered almost complete coaster (as in tossing out window) material, having great respect for "Ripper", I mused on.

The trax are not real consistent, yet each one is well conceived for a grinding straight out metal approach, some great songs have began to really make an impression upon me, it is a lil more creative and modern, not as brutal as Jugulator, which I truly liked, but more catchy and probably one of the biggest growers in quite a while for me.

Give the disc a few spins as I like real similar music to those listed in this post. It still wont make my top ten of the year, but beats Megadeth and Maiden up in my book as far as recent released go. Was crankin it the other day with many out of tune old metal fans, and they commented how this is a great slab of hard music, I agree. Also, I play this disc much more than Halford's resurrection, which was OK...
Daronas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:42 pm    Post subject: JUDAS PRIEST DISAPPOINTMENT Reply with quote

I really wanted this one to be Jugulator part II. I like Demolition alot. I wish it were heavier. I don't really blame Priest all that much. Alot of people whined and whined that Jug was too heavy. Too heavy? I say, find another genre of music if you can't handle it. I don't think bands should try to cater to the fans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: