HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erasing history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:44 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butchman:
[b]Hey Power,

How can you say we resort to name calling when I haven't seen a post where anyone calls you name yet you call other people "chumps" several times?

How is Firehouse a talented band if they put out a good video that they had time to rehearse and perfect yet their live show sucks?[/b]

Uhhh...because Firehouse has kickass musicians and an amazing vocalist who write very catchy songs. I've seen them live a dozen times and they kicked ass every time - so where is it written that they suck live?????
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:51 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
[b]Say whatever you want in return, oh brainless one, because I don't care what you call me. The fact remains, you are hopelessly in love with quite possibly the worst form of recorded music ever, and I laugh at the amount of money you've wasted on that garbage.

And THAT, my friends, is all I have to say about THAT.[/b]

HAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAH - the worst music EVER... HAHAAHHHAAHAH - what a f.ucking buffoon!!!

Yep - keep listening to your meaningless cookie monster shit and your make-up wearing banshee fags , not to mention the mindless rantings of these mallcore talentless f.ucks.

When you can show me where the barfing of DeathMetal goons means more than the hooks of bands like Lillian Axe or Dokken then i'll shutup.

But you are , quite possibly , the most idiotic prick i have seen on ANY board.

You have the brain of a retarded 3 year-old in a coma.

So keep counting and worshipping Fred Durst's asshairs while i listen to the most talented music in the world:

POWER METAL AND AOR / HARD ROCK
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lars37:
[b]I don't recall Testament, Overkill, or Megadeth singing Power Ballads, but apparently that's not the criteria. Anyway, on with our show...[/b]

Not to nit, but Overkill and Testament (and, after a little whiel longer, Megadeth) all had power ballads of a sort - closer in kin to "Fade To Black"-style thrash ballads, of course.

quote:
[b]NUMBNUTZ ( KAPOWIE!! Misspelled for that "Nu-metal" feel! )
[/b]

I [b]KNEW[/b] it! He's a closet Limp Bizkit fan!
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 1:59 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake:
[b]I don't care how much you guys hate Metallica now, but erasing their influence would be a terrible thing. From what I can tell they were the major influence on a major style of thrash.

In my opinion there are like 4 schools of thrash(or four styles) and they start from the big four. Metallica's style was that of thrash, but with a lot of nods to traditional heavy metal, and it included a lot more melody than the Slayer school. It also wasn't quite as punk influenced as either the Slayer school, or the Anthrax school.

At any rate, Metallica influenced at very least the following bands- Metal Church, Testament, Iced Earth, and it brought Dave Mustaine onto the scene and may even have influenced him a little(though I prefer Megadeth to Metallica interms of the band itself).[/b]

I agree. While Metallica annoys just about everybody these days (SomethingWicked seems to hate them more than anybody does - the only person I've heard deny their importance/influence/usefulness!), I think "erasing" them would be a terrible blow for metal.
Coda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:10 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wasted:
[b]I don't know who did it, but the groups that stopped playing long solos at concerts and basically played the songs as it appeared on the CD. Back in the 70's and early 80's concerts to me were alot better, because you would hear 15-20 minute versions of songs, also adding some variety.
[/b]

That started I think mostly inthe early 90's. Alternative "muscians" could never & will never be able to play their instruments and so they were only able to write songs that went 3-4 minutes with 3-5 chords, mostly strumming. Esentially mindlessly simple disposable pop-music ready made for the masses that doesn't bode well to improvisaion. What are you gonna do to extend your song when you are incapable of playing a solo or play any lead breaks? repeat the chorus for 6 minutes? Gimmie a break. ANd to think these guys had the gall to say that they were sticking to their "punk-roots & values" by playing mindlessly simple disposiable pop-music, signing to major lables and whoring themselves out on MTV to all the pop-masses. That goes against everything punk rock is supposed to stand for. They were just as corporate as the hair-bands they replaces. If not more so. But atleast the hair-bands didn't have the balls to say they were only in it for the music then dissapear after one or two hit songs taking 2-3 years between albums. Muscians don't do that. *sigh* The more things change...

But doesn't it suck how the 1990's have been the ONLY decade in the last 50 years NOT to produce any single performer or group with the same level of talent and or (Enduring) fame as Elvis, Frank Sinatra, BEatles, Aerosmith, Stones, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Guns etc An entire decade of mindless pop-music with nothing of any long-lastingt value to show from it. How very sad. What's nirvana's legacy? Killing rock & Roll abnd making way for the total domination of hip-hop & techno (Which is pretty much what most kids were listening ot from 91-now). All Pearl Jam inspired was Matchbox 20 & Creed. How very lame.
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:22 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by POWERMETAL&AOR:
[b]
Dude - if you can't hear the consistent hooks all through that album then you are the sad one...[/b]

Here's the problem with hooks, MF. Hooks are good. Really good hooks are REALLY good. But hooks alone cannot make good music. In fact, hooks will dull over time - because hooks are not an enduring quality of good music. They're great for pulling you in, but if the music doesn't have anything more to offer than that, the music will suffer greatly after repeated listens.

Music based entirely on hooks is like food based entirely on instant gratification of cravings. Like chocolate bars. And like chocolate bars, they're cool in moderation, but it's absurd to base your entire musical "diet" on it.

No offense man, but if your taste in food is anything like your taste in music, you'd weigh six hundred pounds and you'd have no teeth. This (in addition to the plainly-evident-to-everybody fact that you behave childishly) is why nobody here takes you seriously.

quote:
[b]
Notice how i don't call Death Metallers fa.gs?? I expect the same respect out of you. [/b]

And then you go on to say...

quote:
[b]
Yep - keep listening to your meaningless cookie monster shit and your make-up wearing banshee fags , [/b]

So death metal bands are, out of respect, not called fags by you, but black metal bands ARE called fags by you. Gotcha.

quote:
[b]Uhhh...because Firehouse has kickass musicians and an amazing vocalist who write very catchy songs. [/b]

Very catchy songs again. Does Firehouse offer anything MORE than very catchy songs?

quote:
[b]
When you can show me where the barfing of DeathMetal goons means more than the hooks of bands like Lillian Axe or Dokken then i'll shutup.
[/b]

Again with the hooks. Look - everybody here likes hooks. It's just that everybody here (except you, apparently) likes music to have MORE than just hooks.

quote:
[b]You guys are so self-righteous that its really pathetic...You resort to name-calling and whining like little babies because i know so much more about music than you. That can't be denied.[/b]

I think this part's my favorite.
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

Coda:

Talentwise, the '90s has produces plenty of bands with as much as the bands you listed. The fame is the problem. These bands remain more or less underground, not widely known. If the atmosphere to receive them as it had been in other eras, could have been huge, just came of age at the wrong time.
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

"Here's the problem with hooks, MF. Hooks are good. Really good hooks are REALLY good. But hooks alone cannot make good music. In fact, hooks will dull over time - because hooks are not an enduring quality of good music. They're great for pulling you in, but if the music doesn't have anything more to offer than that, the music will suffer greatly after repeated listens."

Dude - that's your opinion. When i own over 5,900 cd;s how the hell do you think the hooks on any of those cd's will 'dull over time'??
I think not.

"Music based entirely on hooks is like food based entirely on instant gratification of cravings. Like chocolate bars. And like chocolate bars, they're cool in moderation, but it's absurd to base your entire musical "diet" on it."

I don't. I enjoy good hooks , killer singers and great musicianship. Settling for anything less than that is ABSURD.

"No offense man, but if your taste in food is anything like your taste in music, you'd weigh six hundred pounds and you'd have no teeth."

..and you would be anorexic...

"So death metal bands are, out of respect, not called fags by you, but black metal bands ARE called fags by you. Gotcha."

I'm just coming down to other peoples level. If you're gonna call 80s Hard Rock gay - then i have every f.ucking right to call Black Metal gay.

"Very catchy songs again. Does Firehouse offer anything MORE than very catchy songs?"

Yeh - great guitar solos and amazing vocals.
What else do you want? (And don't say 'good lyrics' cuz thats a f.ucking cop-out)

"Again with the hooks. Look - everybody here likes hooks. It's just that everybody here (except you, apparently) likes music to have MORE than just hooks."

And i don't??? I explained myself above.
If you settle for mediocrity in music thats fine - but i will NEVER accept it.

"I think this part's my favorite."

Yeh - the truth shows itself in many forms...
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:58 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Raider:
[b]Coda:

Talentwise, the '90s has produces plenty of bands with as much as the bands you listed. The fame is the problem. These bands remain more or less underground, not widely known. If the atmosphere to receive them as it had been in other eras, could have been huge, just came of age at the wrong time.[/b]

Sad isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: