HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erasing history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 6:02 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

And the criteria for this would be?...please don't mention the number of CD's you own"

Nothing puny about what I have, at the very least I can claim that each disc I buy gets listened to 2-3 times minimum, in a typical week I'll purchase 3-6 new releases + additional back catalog stuff. I've seen your numbers, like someone else I know it is impossible to assimilate the volume of music that you buy, no one has that kind of free time, this makes you a collector also. You love AOR/prog so how many times have listened to the new Journey, Transatlantic etc...quantity is great if you have the time to really listen to all of it.

Re: the studying portion I've been listening to loud guitar based music ever since I heard Helter Skelter by the Beatles, Takin Care of Business, Smoke on the Water etc....I've got 10 more years on top of your 15, been there done it mid70's- onward...so there, you were in diapers or not even born when I was listening to ROCKS, Destroyer, MAchine Head, DArk Side, Physical Graffiti etc...
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 8:45 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul G:
[b]And the criteria for this would be?...please don't mention the number of CD's you own"

Nothing puny about what I have, at the very least I can claim that each disc I buy gets listened to 2-3 times minimum, in a typical week I'll purchase 3-6 new releases + additional back catalog stuff. I've seen your numbers, like someone else I know it is impossible to assimilate the volume of music that you buy, no one has that kind of free time, this makes you a collector also. You love AOR/prog so how many times have listened to the new Journey, Transatlantic etc...quantity is great if you have the time to really listen to all of it.

Re: the studying portion I've been listening to loud guitar based music ever since I heard Helter Skelter by the Beatles, Takin Care of Business, Smoke on the Water etc....I've got 10 more years on top of your 15, been there done it mid70's- onward...so there, you were in diapers or not even born when I was listening to ROCKS, Destroyer, MAchine Head, DArk Side, Physical Graffiti etc...[/b]

So how can you deny the talents of the MAJORITY of 80's bands??

Oh - probably because you aren't a musician... that would explain EVERYTHING.
robetrt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2001 10:15 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

I say erase Metallica, after Justice For All
Say they die in a riot at a gay bar, right before they start recording the "black Album"
problem solved "exit sandman"
Jake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:26 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

Personally I think 70s metal was metal at its best. Early 80s comes close though. I didn't even live back then(well I did but I was just getting started), but the stuff just was more original back then. And besides the originality the stuff had hook and solos and great vocals, but less formulaic sound. Priest and Thin Lizzy were a lot less predictable than Poison and Motley Crue. some albums released the same year from those bands sounded completely different from eachother. So I don't get this whole thing of claiming all the good music came from the 80s. I have to disagree, and say that if I were to hold one decade up as the superior decade for Hardrock/heavy metal then it would be the 70s and not the 80s.
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 12:42 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

The 70s had a lot of killer rock / metal bands. Yeh they were more 'original' and different than 80s bands but the 80s bands took everything to a whole new level. And the 80s just had MORE great bands.
Production levels got better , guitar playing as a whole got better (til the 90s destroyed that) and them BIG CHORUSES came into play which is what i live for.

I like both the 70s and the 80s. Its the 90s mainstream that i have a problem with.

Can you say 'TOTAL SUCK'?
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:05 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by POWERMETAL&AOR:
[b]

Dude - that's your opinion. When i own over 5,900 cd;s how the hell do you think the hooks on any of those cd's will 'dull over time'??
I think not.[/b]

Well, the fella up there had a good point...with 5,900 CD's (just last week, you only had 5,000), you obviously don't give many of these songs a chance to wear down.

quote:
[b]
I don't. I enjoy good hooks , killer singers and great musicianship. Settling for anything less than that is ABSURD.[/b]

I'm glad you enjoy what you perceive to be these things. Doesn't make a lot of this music any less empty, though.

quote:
[b]
..and you would be anorexic...[/b]

See, at least when I tossed up that analogy, it made sense. I don't even know what the above is supposed to mean. That I don't listen to any music? Please - make sense next time.

quote:
[b]
I'm just coming down to other peoples level. If you're gonna call 80s Hard Rock gay - then i have every f.ucking right to call Black Metal gay.[/b]

I see.

quote:
[b]
Yeh - great guitar solos and amazing vocals.
What else do you want? (And don't say 'good lyrics' cuz thats a f.ucking cop-out)[/b]

Some good lyrics WOULD be nice, though not essential. Otherwise, where would I begin?

How about some songs which don't announce exactly where they're going from the first bar? Yeah, that'd have to be at the top of the list - songs which aren't from the Hit-O-Matic 3000 which is now apparently writing Aerosmith's songs. It's total formula. Dean Koontz's books and Robin Williams' movies could only dream of being this formulaic. You don't actually think they put effort into these songs, do you?

quote:
[b]

And i don't??? I explained myself above.
If you settle for mediocrity in music thats fine - but i will NEVER accept it.[/b]

(Tyranno points at MF's list of favorite albums...and rests his case.)
Tyrannorabbit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 2:15 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
[b]So how can you deny the talents of the MAJORITY of 80's bands??

Oh - probably because you aren't a musician... that would explain EVERYTHING.[/b]

Sturgeon's Law - 90% of everything is shit. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Now, while I think for a lot of things that percentage can be yanked around, I can't imagine even for your beloved musical genre that literally the majority of 80's hard rock bands were...well, even just good. I mean, forget it. You're dreamin'.

And for all the yak you've said, for as long as I've been here, about how you're a better judge of music than anyone here because you're a musician (so you say) and we're not (so you think), all I have to say is this: I guarantee you, you will never convince even a single person here that you're a better judge of music than he/she is. And for every attempt you make, you look more the fool.

(I know, it's a little presumptuous of me to speak for everybody, but anyone who DOES think MF's in a good position to tell everyone he disagrees with that he knows better because he claims he's a musician, by all means, step forward.)
Ogre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 5:15 am    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote[quote]I know, it's a little presumptuous of me to speak for everybody, but anyone who DOES think MF's in a good position to tell everyone he disagrees with that he knows better because he claims he's a musician, by all means, step forward.[/quote]

It IS a little presumptuous of you to speak for everyone else because your assertion is INCORRECT. MF's position is NOT that "he knows better because he claims he's a musician," his claim to a higher understanding of quality metal music is actually based upon three criterian (a metal trifecta, if you will) that have long been established:

1) he is a professional keyboard player;

2) he has 5,900 CDs;

and, maybe most importantly,

3) he thumbs through old copies of _RIP_ magazine

THESE are the reasons why he is on a higher plateau of musical understanding than you (and everyone else) are or ever will be. Get it straight, man!!!
POWERMETAL&AOR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2001 1:23 pm    Post subject: Erasing history Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannorabbit:
[b](Tyranno points at MF's list of favorite albums...and rests his case.)[/b]

Where do you see mediocrity there? I see NONE.

Oh - and there's nothing wrong with formula. If it ain't broke then why fix it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: