HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEYBOARDS?in Metal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

well with some bands they rely on keys to much and dont get me wrong keys are ok in certain types of music I guess I was trying to activly define the true roots of Metal
the way I like it now keys in progressive Metal is fine by me but I dont want to hear them in a slayer song get my drift....
Templar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:08 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

The album that changed my mind about keyboards in metal (I used to hate them) was W.A.S.P.'s [i]The Headless Children[/i], specifically the song "Thunderhead." Other bands that use keys to actually enhance their music, rather than wuss it down:

Type O Negative
Angel Dust
brianscriv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:18 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

I think Dimmu Borgir's keyboards are some of the best in metal. Listen to "Death's Embrace" and tell me thats not awesome.

Brian
Subtraction

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:46 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

By the way, what are the true roots of metal?

But really what I get is that people don't think that the keyboard is a legitimate instrument.

People tend to treat the keyboard like a drum machine or some kind of sample that "enhances" a song. It's not!

You know, I don't know if you really see it this way but there has always been this long standing tension between metal and progressive rock. That is to say that keyboards are for progressive rock and when they start getting into the "metal" territory it kind of pisses people off. But this is just a minor thing. I am not saying that anyone is trying to say that, it's just kind of funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Raider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

Funny that this topic came up. Just today I got Stormlord's "Supreme Art of War." I might make a thread to review some of my recent purchases later, but for now I'll just mention Stormlord. Yes, they use keys, and quite a bit. But they are excellent. The second-best use of keys in metal I've heard (after Summoning's latest). Those, combined with real violens, flutes, background choirs, and at least some of the lyrics sang in Italian (or or these really educated people doing it in Latin? Anyone know?), make for an amazingly epic-sounding album.
Mijarra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:13 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

IMHO:

I think I can see both points of view. If a band is only going to use the keys as an accent or embellishment then I would say that the band doesn't need a keyboard player. Like someone already mentioned, Iron Maiden put them to good use, but there is really no point in having a keys player join in the band. I get that.

On the other hand, if a band has a good keyboard player...like G n'R or Dream Theater, someone mentioned... I think it adds a lot of depth to the music. Especially with the capabilities in todays technology, a band can multiply it's potenial many times over with all these new sounds.

As a musician myself, I used to be of the opinion that I didn't want to be anywhere near a keyboard. Then one day I went to a friends house and he had a buddy there with a keyboard. We played a few songs and I have to say it converted me. Some people complain that the keys lighten things up too much, but if the guy knows what he is doing it can make the music sooo much heavier. Guitar players sometimes say the keyboard guy steals their thunder, so to speak. To my point of view, if you are a metal guitarist and your riffs don't sound heavy enough, it's not the keyboard guy's fault, it your own!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I am in favor of keyboards in metal, used correctly. If people want to fight to keep something out of metal, IMO it should be turntables not the keys. Thank you, that is all.
Nivek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. .

Last edited by Nivek on Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
General Zod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:08 am    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

Keyboards can be cool, when used as a secondary instrument, whose purpose is to enhance the music. However, when keyboards are used as a primary instrument, equal to or greater than the guitar, I typically lose interest.

GZ
Metalfilm1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:37 pm    Post subject: KEYBOARDS?in Metal? Reply with quote

and just to punctuate a point about "the roots of metal" with regard to keyboards, one need look no further than Uriah Heep and Deep Purple to find that keyboards were VERY MUCH a part of metal's roots.

Glad to see so many people are in favor of keyboards...and Marillonfan hasn't even showed up yet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: