HardRadio.com Main Page

HardRadio HardBoard
The Heavy Metal Supersite

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lame post of the week
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Reddit it Slashdot it  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuclear_x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

heres my attempt to flame the board in a nice way,rules dont get personal, stick the insults to a musician/band ..
Inflames to me suck and heres why...I want to hear the damn lyrics dont care how melodic the rest of the band is...if the singer can only imatate the cookie monster then maybe there is an opening on sasame street....
nitro4040

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

Gee, this is productive.
THRASHCRAZED

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

HEMAN!!!
FALCON

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

Understandable your line of thinking, but the contrast from the harsh (not overly ruff) with the ultramelodic layers of guitar is amazing and adds to quite an effect. I am surely not one for the barkmarket approach to singing either, but the bands that have used it to an incredible statement, ala Soilwork, Opeth, In Flames, Wolverine are much more inticing than without....
Midnight Sun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

I can tolerate In Flames due to the band's knack for adding melody to their brand of somewhat generic metal. Opeth are far worse when even the clean vocals sound limp.
Desslar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

I can only laugh and change the station if I hear the singer break into a deep growl. That may have sounded demonic and scary 20 years ago, but now it just seems ridiculous. Who thought of this style anyway? I suppose someone who couldn't hack doing real vocals. Well, to each their own.
nitro4040

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:31 pm    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

You truly hurt yourself when you don't give these bands a try. The musicianship overtakes you. Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy, are among the best metal bands ever, let alone, now.
Raider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

Actually many of the people who do death growls can sing. But normal singing just doesn't fit with the music on a constant basis. These vocals just fit. Just as Halford and Bruce don't use normal singing voices in their music, death and black metal bands don't use normal singing either. And make no mistake, Halford and Bruce don't use normal singing. Compare them to rock or pop singers. Much louder and more extreme. Fans of pop, rap, and really many rock fans find them unlistenable. In fact, as I've pointed out before, the complaints pop fans make about Dickinson, Halford, and Dio almost perfectly mirror the complaints people on this board make about death vox. Face it, those people aren't normal singers, and are unlistenable to anyone but fans of them. But they are good at what they do. Same with the ones who do death or black vox.

And who cares about lyrics. There's about three bands in the world with lyrics really worth hearing. For metal, vocals are just another instrument. That's one thing that makes metal superior to pop. With pop, it's just about lyrics that people can relate to sung by an attractive singer with some danceable beat in the background. Metal is about good music, and the vocals are just one part of that. It's much more important they be an instrument that fits the music than be done in an inappropriate way just so people can understand the lyrics. If just hearing pointless lyrics sung in a perfectly normal fashion is what you're looking for, Wal-Mart and the CD store in the mall are loaded with tons of stuff for you, and you can even turn to MTV to get hear the songs before you buy them.

You know, the funny thing is that a classic image of metalheads is listening to stuff that the rest of their peers and their parents call useless noise. But there are people on this board who are worse than my parents ever were. Honestly, my sister, who thinks the Backstreet Boys are just the greatest thing ever (unfortunately it's not just 14-year old girls who like them), is less of a ninny when it comes to metal than some people who post on a metal board. No offense to anyone, but that's just the truth.
JGunnz1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Lame post of the week Reply with quote

Raider- True Dat!!!

I have never listened to metal because of the vocals. I have always made it a point to listen to the music first. There are also a ton of Heavy Metal bands- specifically power metal bands-where the vocals sound a lot cheesier than Death Metal vocals. Some of these singers sound like little girls screaming on the playground. I agree that by not giving bands like Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, and In Flames a try, one is missing out on some truly great, and some truly "true" Metal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HardRadio HardBoard Forum Index -> Artist Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: